My Level 30 Controller Build (Gadgets)

#1-WanderPosted 1/20/2011 5:29:19 AM
Just wanted to share my choices for my PvP build. I've done plenty of searching on the forum for gadgets, but haven't found a ton info, so here's what I use:

Taser Pull: This is a must for PvP and PvE. It snags pesky fliers who try to get away, and it stuns them which allows for a follow up.

Cryo-Foam: At first I really liked Fear Gas, but realized this is more useful. Like Fear Gas, you can set the enemy ablaze after a Taser Pull, but it also makes it harder for healers to heal in PvP. And works as an AoE.

Gauss Grenade: The Sticky Grenade is also excellent, but this easily outclasses it. It does surprising AoE damage, stuns setting up for Cryo-Foam, and it comes out fast. I think it also has another controller effect, I can't look at the game seeing as the servers are down...

Stealth: Personal preference, but I feel it's absolutely necessary on a PvP server. You can cautiously enter a new quest area, and gank noobs like a pro. Spend a point on the fire bomb too, setting up a fire bomb and implosion bomb at the same time is priceless, especially in PvP. And the huge damage crit attack out of stealth just seals the deal. I really tried to find a use for Hide, but it wasn't worth it to remove a skill from my loadout.

Warden Turret: Love this thing. Deals damage over time, lights dudes on fire, stuns dudes, pretty sure it even traps dudes in bubbles. Totally worth spending the points to get the level 16 turret. Also, don't bother keeping the Self Destruct command on your load out. You can blow up your turrets by holding the turret command for 3 seconds. replace the Self Destruct with something else.

Anestesia: The only skill I use for Supercharge. It takes up 50% meter, but it heals like a mofo and will save your ass plenty.

So that's my loadout. I've repec'd what seems like a billion times, trying out most of (but not all) the gadget trees and this seems like the best PvP/PvE balance for me right now. I realize I wrote kinda a lot, but I hope this sheds a little insight into gadgets and helps people who can't decide where to spend their points. If anybody has other loadouts/skills they prefer, feel free to share.
---
PSN: wAr1oMaN XBL: Wander EX
Playing: SSFIV (El Fuerte) - MHFU (HR8 Bow)
#2ToxicshotPosted 1/20/2011 5:36:13 AM

Hi, thanks. What is your weapon btw? I went dual pistols. Also how do you respec?

#3-Wander(Topic Creator)Posted 1/20/2011 5:40:02 AM
I use a bow and the tree is completely filled (except for critical heal up). I freakin love the bow, it seems to go well with gadgets, too, but I'm sure dual pistols works just fine. I just love AoE bombing and freezing followed by a ton of arrows raining from the sky....beautiful.
---
#4-Wander(Topic Creator)Posted 1/20/2011 5:45:03 AM
Sorry for the double post, but I forgot to answer your other question. Repec by going into the Hall of Doom and go all the way to the bottom into the Pit. Run around you'll find a bunch of people around the respec chamber. It costs 500 bucks and goes up about 100 bucks each time.....but I think when you get up to about 1100 it resets back to 500. Probably a bug or something.

---
---
#5ToxicshotPosted 1/20/2011 6:04:50 AM

Alright man thanks, you've made me want to re-create my character with a bow now. :3 But eh I do like dual pistols, I've already remade my character like 5 times.

#6KudZuPosted 1/20/2011 6:40:40 AM
Tag, I plan to try out gadgets tomorrow. Thanks for the post.
#7-Wander(Topic Creator)Posted 1/20/2011 4:49:39 PM
Shameless self-bump. I also reposted this on PS3 as if it was important.
---
#8murch84Posted 1/20/2011 6:39:46 PM

hey, i was going to start a new thread but i thought i would post in here instead because u seem interested in sharing your experience and im also going down the gadgets route, so i thought you could help me if ur willing. butbe prepared ill probably ask some really stupid questions.

i am a complete noob at this game... andhave little experience with mmo's in general. i just do not get how to play this game... is there some place that gives a good rundown of the controls and how everything works? its like its just common knowledge for everyone already... not me though.like this doesn't have the standard skill trees that you work your way up in ur chosen class. and there isn't the usual action bar where u just assign your abilities to or hot key them. and your limited to only 6 abilities? when u start off u dont have any abilities do you? im using pistols and i just run around left clicking the mouse to shoot like a fps really. mind you i literally only played for a few minutes before logging out because i decided i had to figure out how to play this game before i went in, so maybe i just didn't give it enough time and its actually easy to learn whats going on in game?

#9-Wander(Topic Creator)Posted 1/20/2011 7:01:36 PM
To be honest, I play on PS3 and I could see how the interface could be a bit confusing on PC. On console it feels like a button mash action game and is really easy to pick up. As you level up you get skill points that you spend on trees, pretty similar to other MMOs. You only get 6 skills per role, and 2 roles. For example, gadgets is Damage and Controlling. Technically you can have 6 different skills on each role's loadout, but it's generally best to spend points on fewer of the better skills. Just spend more time with the game, it'll all click :)
---
#10steelcitystimpyPosted 1/20/2011 7:54:22 PM
What about the Power restoring move? It's great to spam on, and you turn into a vital part of a group with any healer when your back there lighting up a boss with weapon combos, and giving the healer all of their power back.

I just re-specced from DPS to controller, and I am getting the hand of it. I wish my stun moves would work more often on bosses though. Half of my bar is useless in boss fights. Dominance is actually useful as well once you get some good gear with high stats on them. I make Heroes suffer when I pvp them now, they hardly even have time to get off any moves before their stunned again lol.
---
"Box falls out of the sky, man falls out of the box, man eats fish custard..."
"Like I said their not vampires.....their fish from space."