How does this compare to Champions Online?

#1LaManoNeraIIPosted 9/19/2011 5:47:35 PM
I played CO for about a year or so and loved every part of it. Visually customizing your hero, choosing their powers to create unique builds, the fast paced combat, the atmosphere, etc. Only reason I stopped was just lack of content. Did everything there is to do. I check in from time to time.

Now that this one is going F2P, I may give it a shot as well. Is character customization as indepth as CO? Both visually and power wise? Does it have a lot of content? How is the combat? Is grouping encouraged? One gripe that I did have with CO is that it's mainly a solo affair.
---
R.I.P LaManoNera
04-06-2009
#2darksora2323Posted 9/20/2011 8:57:16 AM
Its better than CO
---
Crysis.... trash? I think you've been smoking some of the green herbs instead of mixing them. - GroovyTonberry
#3theshovellerPosted 9/20/2011 11:06:26 AM
I can say for a fact that character creation is really lacking compared to CO's - unless they really improved on it, it was a basic "pick a stance, pick a size, pick a complete body type" thing - no saying "make the hands huge but thin, make the legs tiny but fat, etc." like Champions has. Combat and everything else though... it's different. Not quite sure how to compare the two - it's like comparing two different but still good action games. Content and stuff I can't really comment on, since I only played the beta and didn't get too far in it.

I'm looking forward to trying my hand at this when it actually goes free next month. Might be a good diversion from CO when I get tired of my current character-of-the-moment.
#4mahgah91Posted 9/20/2011 2:50:34 PM
CO has better customization. It has more costume pieces (even including the pieces you can loot) but keep in mind that you have to sub to CO to get access to all costume pieces.

Gameplay wise, I think DCUO is a lot better and less taxing on your computer.
#5WojIklesPosted 9/20/2011 3:22:32 PM
mkbk posted...
CO has better customization. It has more costume pieces (even including the pieces you can loot) but keep in mind that you have to sub to CO to get access to all costume pieces.

Gameplay wise, I think DCUO is a lot better and less taxing on your computer.

You don't have to sub to get all the costume pieces, you can buy all of them. Even with the stuff you get for free, Champions Online creation crushes DCUO. That includes powers and be able to try them out before you lock them in place.
Besides that, I liked a lot of what DCUO did, there travel powers were fun to use and didn't make me feel like I was missing out on anything, like CO does if I don't pick teleport or flight. The cities are massive and very well designed. The missions are wonderfully done, music, voice acting, they really draw you in, and in CO they're sort of blah.
What keeps me going back to CO is that I really feel I can create the character I want to create, you have to sub to do that though.
Since both games are F2P, it's nice that you can try them without losing any cash.
#6MilsoPosted 9/26/2011 8:09:47 AM
The problem with Champions is that all there really was to the game was the character creation. You instantly have access to all the costume pieces, so there's no feeling of advancement or progression for your hero.

In DC, you start out with more basic pieces and loot more as you progress through the game, making your hero look better as you go. There's down sides to both approaches (you definitely have more control and variety in Champions), but I much prefer the feeling of progression in DC.
---
rawr
#7LUMIN4RYPosted 9/26/2011 11:39:09 AM

To be honest CO is much better, it's more polished and deep. I still play DCUO but the cheating, glitching and bugs never get fixed or addressed. I think that F2P will give the population a big boost... at least for awhile.