DC Free worth playing w/o Paying?

#1ZOD777Posted 12/17/2011 5:27:48 PM

I don't foresee paying for anything in this game.  I just want to try it out.  I am more of a Marvel comics fan anyway.  Beside the point...what I really want to know is, do you have to pay to enjoy what this game has to offer?  I mean, can you totally enjoy the full game without paying for extra character slots and whatever else?  If the game handcuffs free players, I don't really see the point of offering free to play.  Might as well call it a demo or trial version if you cannot enjoy the etire game for free.

#2baby blastodermPosted 12/17/2011 6:00:30 PM
I've been playing for about 2-3 months now and I can say that it's still well worth it even without paying anything. You're handcuffed with some aspects but it really doesn't seem like a big deal (to me at least) if you know what you're doing. The cash limit is kind of a drag but later on, you'll probably be only spending on pots and replenishing your cash is quite easy.
---
Now trying to learn Makoto and Arakune on Blaz Blue CS...
PSN: TheEduaves
#3BurisuPosted 12/18/2011 5:47:23 AM
I've been playing for free for quite some time now, and it is worth it. But I'll try going premium soon just so I could finally sell something in the auction house.
---
PSN ID: Dexward
GT: DexwardCuxann
#4kurboat64Posted 12/18/2011 5:29:10 PM

What is it I can not do with free play?

#5la2ya2nPosted 12/18/2011 10:46:47 PM
kurboat64 posted...
What is it I can not do with free play?

http://www.dcuniverseonline.com/free/?locale=en_US

This will tell you the differences of free vs premium vs legendary
---
b ^_^ d
Gamertag: la2ya2n PSN: ijama
#6hapyooPosted 12/19/2011 5:38:37 AM
yes it is but if you want the best rings and mask you have to buy the Flash DLC but that is after you become T1 so it you still like the game by then then pick up Flash. DON'T BUY THE GREEN LANTERN DLC UNLESS YOU WANT TO BE A GREEN LANTERN. Lanterns are the strongest DPS in the game but there are a million DPS players.
#7xxGoDxoFxWaRxxPosted 12/19/2011 5:53:18 AM
I will give you a more in depth analysis since I have had this discussion with a few friends of mine. I played for about a month before I subbed, and I can tell you that there's almost nothing different. Granted, I sure do enjoy the conveniences legendary has to offer, but this game is 100% manageable as a premium. What I now recommend is for people to go premium and then buy any expansion packs they desire, you will get to keep anything you pay for and you never have to subscribe if you choose not to.

Premium grants you more inventory space, four more character slots, and more bank space. If you are going to spend a decent amount of time on this game you would be a complete fool not to spend $5 and make your playing experience much more enjoyable. So from now on I will refer to premium as the free portion of this game. So for a one time price of 20$, counting both DLC purchases, you can have almost everything legendary members get access to. Now depending on how notorious you are for hoarding items, you may or may not have a problem.

You don't receive enough space to just hang on to all your old gear or potential gear you might use, but if you stick to the essentials you will be fine. The only real major limitation is the cash limit, but this is easily circumvented by a make-shift escrow account. A brief introduction on the real escrow account if you don't know what I mean. You have a limit of 2,000 cash and everything after that amount gets stored in an escrow account. You only get access to this money by purchasing an item for real money that allows you to take out some of the cash or to subscribe to legendary and receive the full escrow amount with zero cash limitations.

The solution to this is simply not to let any of your cash pile up. When you are reaching the limit you will buy a 12 pack of potions, or soder cola, as they are called. You want to fill up a good portion of your bank/inventory with these, and when space becomes an issue I believe you can mail them to another character you create, just for more storage. That may sound like a lot of work but it's really not. The reason it's not is because you will never really need to cash them all in at once.

You're going to use them as potions, and as an on demand cash supply. The reason for this entire process is due to repair fees, they add up very quickly. Your gear loses durability if you are knocked out during a fight, it only takes a couple of times to incur some significant losses. So if you're in an alert (4-man mission) or a raid (8-man mission) and things aren't going so great it may cost you more than the $2,000 cash limit in repair fees. With the colas you can sell off a few stacks and make the necessary repairs.

If you are one of the unprepared masses you will have to quit the instance and will not even have any money to repair your gear afterward. This is really your only good use for cash, so the limit won't affect you if you play smart here. Even the best gear in the game can be bought for a very small price, instead you do challenges (solo), duos (two-man), alerts (4-man), and raids (8-man) to earn Marks. These marks are then used to purchase Iconic armor sets.

It does take a lot of marks for a full set however. It will take anywhere from a week to two months to get your first set of Iconic gear, or T1 gear, depending on how often you play. The only other reason for cash is the in-game auction house. Here you will find ridiculously overpriced items, not necessary in any way to your playing experience. You can play this game and never have to worry about trying to afford an overpriced item, anything essential can be obtained with just a little effort.
#8xxGoDxoFxWaRxxPosted 12/19/2011 6:10:10 AM(edited)
hapyoo posted...
yes it is but if you want the best rings and mask you have to buy the Flash DLC but that is after you become T1 so it you still like the game by then then pick up Flash. DON'T BUY THE GREEN LANTERN DLC UNLESS YOU WANT TO BE A GREEN LANTERN. Lanterns are the strongest DPS in the game but there are a million DPS players.

This post is both out of place, and is just plain wrong in certain aspects. You can get good rings/necklace/mask in alerts and raids, you don't "NEED" the Flash DLC for this reason alone. The reason you want the GL DLC is so you have access to the additional missions from them. When you are going for your second set of iconic armor, T2, you will absolutely want to have the 3 alerts available from this DLC. Lanterns are good at DPS, but are by no means the best. You are correct to say that DPS is the most overplayed class however.
#9ZOD777(Topic Creator)Posted 12/21/2011 11:55:25 PM

xxGoDxoFxWaRxx posted...
hapyoo posted...

This post is both out of place, and is just plain wrong in certain aspects. You can get good rings/necklace/mask in alerts and raids, you don't "NEED" the Flash DLC for this reason alone. The reason you want the GL DLC is so you have access to the additional missions from them. When you are going for your second set of iconic armor, T2, you will absolutely want to have the 3 alerts available from this DLC. Lanterns are good at DPS, but are by no means the best. You are correct to say that DPS is the most overplayed however.

What is DPS?  Does that have something to do with PvP or is it a role?

#10HaZZaRdbOyPosted 12/23/2011 5:30:50 AM
DPS means damage per second. It's actually a pretty standard term for all mmorpgs.