I'm trying to maximize my skill points and still have a decent Fire Build

#10Gambit0Posted 8/25/2012 9:43:14 AM
Hello All,

I've only been playing DCUO for a week now and I'm still a bit green when it comes to many aspects of the MMO like the types of equipment I should be looking for and which skills offer the best utility at the lowest cost.

This is the Fire build I'm leaning towards running with and at this point I'm not sure whether to call it a Fire Tank or DPS.

Ignition Powers (5)
Fireball
Wildfire
Eternal Flame
Fireburst
Snuffout

Immolation Powers (7)
Immolation
Flashpoint
Fiery Weapon
Meteor Strike
Consume Objects
Reignition
Stoke Flames

Iconic Powers
Super Strength (Innate)
Powerful Resistance (Innate)
Wisdom of Solomon (Innate)

My loads out would look like this:

Damage
Immolation, Wild Fire, Flashpoint, Meteor Strike, Fiery Weapon and Snuff Out

Defense
Immolation, Eternal Flame, Consume Objects, Reignition, Fireburst and Stoke Flames

Please let me know what you think about the build and any advice about equipment is welcome.

Thanks for your time!
---
---
Whether Im winning or loosing, you'll get nothing less than my best. W2008 FC: 034478551928
#2__C_L_O_U_D__Posted 8/29/2012 4:29:27 AM
You should first decide which role you really wanna fill: Tank or DPS, it's hard to specialize at both, especially since you'll most likely still be lacking the skill points to fill out the stats for even one role. Equipment's pretty straightforward once you pick a role, though. There's only one armor set per role per tier, and it's labeled as such (except for DPS gear, which is the only gear that isn't), so just use the item meant for your role. But as a general rule, a DPS needs Might and Precision, a Tank needs Dominance, Defence and Health.

Just a note, though, that DPS has the hardest time of finding appropriate gear through drops, since the majority of players are DPS, so finding a group will be more difficult, and in a raid situation, you will be competing with at least two other players in a loot roll. On the other hand, there's only one tank in a raid so there's no competition for loot, and good ones are in high demand in them (alongside controllers). But most players do not want tanks in alerts at all. So... meh.

Must-have Iconic innates for a DPS are Weapons Expert and Tactical Genious, while for a tank, it's Intimidating Gaze and Powerful Resistance.

Three abilities that are essential to a Fire Tank are Enflame, Flashpoint and Backdraft, used in combination with each other usually resulting in "juggling" the mobs.

For more details on Fire Tanking (and some info about Fire in general), check out Kristyana's guide:

http://dcuo.mmorpg-life.com/1700/guides/dcuo-guides-being-a-fire-tank/

Just a personal note, Meteor's kinda annoying, since it has a tendency to block Line-of-Sight, and also soaks up any damage done by AoE attacks (which split per target).

And you may already know this, but it requires repeating, never use armor that has more Toughness than Defence outside of PvP. If you're tanking, you'll be a liability to the group, if you're DPS-ing, you'll just be plain squishy.
---
You don't need a reason to help people.
#30Gambit0(Topic Creator)Posted 8/29/2012 12:46:05 PM
__C_L_O_U_D__ posted...
You should first decide which role you really wanna fill: Tank or DPS, it's hard to specialize at both, especially since you'll most likely still be lacking the skill points to fill out the stats for even one role. Equipment's pretty straightforward once you pick a role, though. There's only one armor set per role per tier, and it's labeled as such (except for DPS gear, which is the only gear that isn't), so just use the item meant for your role. But as a general rule, a DPS needs Might and Precision, a Tank needs Dominance, Defence and Health.

Just a note, though, that DPS has the hardest time of finding appropriate gear through drops, since the majority of players are DPS, so finding a group will be more difficult, and in a raid situation, you will be competing with at least two other players in a loot roll. On the other hand, there's only one tank in a raid so there's no competition for loot, and good ones are in high demand in them (alongside controllers). But most players do not want tanks in alerts at all. So... meh.

Must-have Iconic innates for a DPS are Weapons Expert and Tactical Genious, while for a tank, it's Intimidating Gaze and Powerful Resistance.

Three abilities that are essential to a Fire Tank are Enflame, Flashpoint and Backdraft, used in combination with each other usually resulting in "juggling" the mobs.

For more details on Fire Tanking (and some info about Fire in general), check out Kristyana's guide:

http://dcuo.mmorpg-life.com/1700/guides/dcuo-guides-being-a-fire-tank/

Just a personal note, Meteor's kinda annoying, since it has a tendency to block Line-of-Sight, and also soaks up any damage done by AoE attacks (which split per target).

And you may already know this, but it requires repeating, never use armor that has more Toughness than Defence outside of PvP. If you're tanking, you'll be a liability to the group, if you're DPS-ing, you'll just be plain squishy.

Thanks for the information, it was all very helpful.
---
---
Whether Im winning or loosing, you'll get nothing less than my best. W2008 FC: 034478551928