I don't understand how Combat Rating works...

#1Kingdom_of_Wu2Posted 1/14/2012 3:22:34 AM
My CR just dropped from 43 to 40 and I have no idea why. I'm currently wearing T1 and T2 equipment:

Aegis of Azarath (chest, legs, and hands)
Avatar Bombardier (head, feet, waist)
Vengeance of Hecate (back)

I've read that it rises with better equipment and I would assume I would have enough stuff to do T2 quests. I'm going to replace the AoA chest with a VoH chest in about 2 days (because I can only get Marks of Distinction through the daily duo quests) though now I'm not sure if that's gonna do anything because I don't understand this CR system
---
A proud member of 8-break (10/21/10)
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/8-break/172786439410020
#2krullPosted 1/14/2012 4:28:35 AM(edited)
Did you perhaps clean up your inventory? You might have had a piece of gear in there that was raising your cr and you got rid of it? Would have to been a pretty good piece of gear to drop 43 to 40 though. I hate so this so now I ALWAYS check my cr after selling stuff, if it drops I buy back. You're sol if you salvaged or put it on AH and it was already bought.

Sometimes the shoulder piece you have in your inventory lowers your stats if equipped but for some reason has a higher item lvl and you think it's all fine and dandy to delete but it lowers your cr possibly.

Oh and if you want to test how losing an item in your inventory affects cr without risk, drop it in your bank or shared bank or something to test. I don't think it counts stuff there but I'm not positive on that.

One more bonus tip, mod any gear you can asap, I jumped from 40-44 with R&D in no time.
---
Think not that we are beaten. Think not we are restrained. We stand, unflinching witness, defiant, now, Unchained.
<{^Forever begins today^}>
#3krullPosted 1/14/2012 4:47:19 AM(edited)
I just remembered, for me when I dropped 41 to 40 or 40 to 39. It was a bunch or rings I had that were 32 or 34 but didn't give me the stats I wanted compared to my equipped lvl 30 rings. My lvl 66 snowman trinket helps a bunch but what raised my cr most was replacing my lowest lvl items first, it is averaging all the numbers together and also I believe that if you have (example) a tank head piece equipped but a higher lvl DPS head piece in your inventory, it will average them even though you may never use it, so you want to keep it until the quipped gear is a higher lvl than the inventory one. This is all not affected by PvP gear at all I think.

It is possible that maybe a ring or trinket you have affects toughness and is considered pve in which case keep a similar or higher lvl ring with you that is PvE. I'm just figuring all this out on my own, when I shout out q's folks rarely waste their time to help in-game :)
---
Think not that we are beaten. Think not we are restrained. We stand, unflinching witness, defiant, now, Unchained.
<{^Forever begins today^}>
#4SongiPosted 1/14/2012 6:04:05 AM
PVP items won't have an effect on your Combat Rating since they're typically only 30 item level. Also be careful when deleting items because even items you cannot use can affect your Combat Rating. Like for example: You have 34 Item Level Controller Rifle equipped and you end up finding a Tank brawling weapon that has an Item Level of 52. Even though you cannot equip that item under any circumstances it will still raise your Combat Rating.

Be sure to check item level on everything you get (even stuff you cannot equip).
---
PSN ID: Doug_Drealer
#5CarpetCalvesPosted 1/14/2012 6:44:19 AM
masamune 16 posted...
PVP items won't have an effect on your Combat Rating since they're typically only 30 item level. Also be careful when deleting items because even items you cannot use can affect your Combat Rating. Like for example: You have 34 Item Level Controller Rifle equipped and you end up finding a Tank brawling weapon that has an Item Level of 52. Even though you cannot equip that item under any circumstances it will still raise your Combat Rating.

Be sure to check item level on everything you get (even stuff you cannot equip).

Level cap is 30, bud...
---
Now Playing: Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, CoDBO, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Halo: Reach, Red Dead Redemption
XBLGT: CarpetCalves
#6dasaylesPosted 1/14/2012 6:55:33 AM
The Gear level goes all the way up to level 73. If you get a mark III piece of equipment.
---
Check out my fan fic:: www.fanfiction.net
anime/dragonballz The Dragonball Prime the Origin of the Super Saiyan
#7blitzwing17Posted 1/14/2012 8:11:55 AM
CarpetCalves posted...
masamune 16 posted...

Level cap is 30, bud...

Item level is not the req level to wear an item. But a value representing it's strength to other items. When you highlight an item, scroll down past the stats and you will see it's item level.
---
PKMN BLACK FC: 3224 5023 6786
DCUO: Cinderspella: sorc heal, HB, 4X SP
#8The-ApostlePosted 1/14/2012 8:24:02 AM
Wow... So your rating can drop when you get rid of something even when it's NOT equipped?
---
Next up on the Packers' hit parade: DIVISIONAL PLAYOFFS!!!! Record: 15-1! GO PACK GO!
http://www.penthius.info
#9SongiPosted 1/14/2012 8:31:37 AM(edited)
CarpetCalves posted...
masamune 16 posted...

Level cap is 30, bud...

Learn to read sir.

Yes even if you cannot equip it or if the item isn't even equipped it will still have an effect on your combat rating if you have nothing with a higher item level. Just make smart decisions and you'll never see your CR drop. Trust me, I've never seen my CR drop for any reason since I'm constantly looking at item levels and making sure i upgrade accordingly.
---
PSN ID: Doug_Drealer
#10Kingdom_of_Wu2(Topic Creator)Posted 1/15/2012 2:42:00 AM
krull posted...
Did you perhaps clean up your inventory? You might have had a piece of gear in there that was raising your cr and you got rid of it? Would have to been a pretty good piece of gear to drop 43 to 40 though. I hate so this so now I ALWAYS check my cr after selling stuff, if it drops I buy back. You're sol if you salvaged or put it on AH and it was already bought.

What?? So even if I'm not using an item, it can raise my CR??? Damnit!! I salvaged Mister Boo yesterday! ****ing Mister Boo was helping me all along and I salvaged his ass! **** me sideways!!

Well that information helps me out a bit. I've got a crap ton of Marks of Triumph that I'm gonna use to buy items and I'm just gonna leave it in my inventory from here on...
---
The bassist of 8-break (10/21/10)
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/8-break/172786439410020