role play or PVE?

#1asylumcakesPosted 9/19/2010 8:50:49 AM
anybody know if this gonna have role play servers? or PVE? oh and add me on PSn if you'd like to play once this comes out.
---
PSN:jedi_juggalo420
http://www.motifake.com/saveas.php?id=87400
#2VobeDarkElfPosted 9/19/2010 9:03:23 AM
SOE games do typically offer RP servers as well as normal PvE and some PvP servers. There may even be RP-PvP servers, if you are interested.
#3Prowl76Posted 9/19/2010 10:55:11 AM
I've heard of pvp and pve and i know what general role playing is but what are role play servers?
---
Not changing my sig until the Vikings win the Superbowl.
Started 9/11/09
#4asylumcakes(Topic Creator)Posted 9/19/2010 11:08:53 AM
a role play server is kinda what it sounds like. you are soposued to act like what ever char you make. and i hope they do make PVP role play becuase i mean if im gonna act like my hero or villan i wanna fight like them too

---
PSN:Asylumcakes
http://www.motifake.com/saveas.php?id=87400
#5VobeDarkElfPosted 9/19/2010 11:24:18 AM
An RP server is typically a normal PvE server, but with more strict rules concerning player conduct. You aren't required to 'roleplay' exactly, but you are expected to try and keep out-of-character comments and discussions out of the general chat channels of the game. It is up to individual guilds to decide what is or is not appropriate in their private chat channels and voice chat. But, if you were to talk about your new car in a public channel, you may get in trouble with the GMs. Also, the naming policy is stricter. A name that isn't appropriate is far more likely to be moderated than on other servers.

Those are the 'official' differences with RP servers, but it is more than that. I have found that RP servers typically end up with the best server community. More mature and respectable players tend to play on those servers and it just ends up being a more enjoyable game overall. On the other hand, PvP servers tend to attract the scummiest players.

Normal PvE servers tend to fall somewhere in the middle, and RP-PvP servers are actually somewhat new. Only a few games have used this server type so far, and I am not sure where exactly they fall in terms of community.
#6Prowl76Posted 9/19/2010 12:12:31 PM
That sounds like it's right up my alley. I can't stand pvp and want a mature community that is gonna take things seriously.
---
Started 9/11/09
#7RoyalDeathPosted 9/19/2010 12:40:09 PM
lol if your gonna RP you'll eventually have to pvp. You can't be a hero/villain if you never engage into any actual combat.
#8Prowl76Posted 9/19/2010 12:54:17 PM
you can pve
---
Started 9/11/09
#9Kuro_IbukaPosted 9/19/2010 1:10:08 PM
VobeDarkElf posted...
An RP server is typically a normal PvE server, but with more strict rules concerning player conduct. You aren't required to 'roleplay' exactly, but you are expected to try and keep out-of-character comments and discussions out of the general chat channels of the game. It is up to individual guilds to decide what is or is not appropriate in their private chat channels and voice chat. But, if you were to talk about your new car in a public channel, you may get in trouble with the GMs. Also, the naming policy is stricter. A name that isn't appropriate is far more likely to be moderated than on other servers.

Those are the 'official' differences with RP servers, but it is more than that. I have found that RP servers typically end up with the best server community. More mature and respectable players tend to play on those servers and it just ends up being a more enjoyable game overall. On the other hand, PvP servers tend to attract the scummiest players.

Normal PvE servers tend to fall somewhere in the middle, and RP-PvP servers are actually somewhat new. Only a few games have used this server type so far, and I am not sure where exactly they fall in terms of community.

This isn't exactally true...i have and always will play on the rp servers though i prefer rppvp truth of the matter is the rules mostly apply only to naming in general. Have to keep names some what practical can't use say " ipwnzyou" as a name because it breaks immersion. As for general channels, trade channels, ect they are for the most part ooc people like to think they aren't BUT i have yet to play a game where the general channels are in character, nor have i seen or heard of anyone getting in trouble for things said in those channels. Usual rules apply cant cuss, can't use racial slurrs, and ya know making fun of others could get you reported BUT just being out of character in those channels don't and wont typically hurt you or get you in trouble.

Rp Severs usually just means naming policy, and guilds/players want to rp there toons, and add another facet to the game. over all they tend to be more mature, have more understanding people, and are GENERALLY better servers but not always...but even on rp servers you will find a VERY small minority actually rps. We rpers are a minority in gaming even if we get our own servers the devs and gms don't typically care much about us besides inforcing nameing policeys but heck look at WoW i still see all sorts of non-rp names in rp servers its very hard to put a stop to.
#10VobeDarkElfPosted 9/19/2010 1:32:57 PM
In WOW, they don't seem to even try. However, the generalized difference in server community I mentioned before is still noticable in the WOW servers. The different server types do attract different types of people.

Just because it doesn't seem like they are enforcing the stricter rules on an RP server, doesn't mean it isn't in writing. If you look into it, you should find an 'additional' set of rules and guidelines for RP servers, posted somewhere in the official website for your game.

For example:

http://us.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?locale=en_US&articleId=20458