How important is Mentor choice?

#1chamminPosted 12/18/2010 10:23:48 PM
Hello everyone,

So after making a few different characters, with varying Mentors I've started to wonder... How much does the Mentor choice actually affect your character? I know it changes your starting quests and locations which is great, but in the little description it mentions weapon and armor availability. However, I've never actually noticed a difference with that.

Let me give an example of my thought process. The Joker is awesome, I'd want him as my Mentor everytime, except for the fact that all indications point towards him being for tech users. And since this is a super hero/villian game I have no interest in being a tech user (why be some chump who throws bombs and uses guns when you can fly around and mess things up with crazy powers?). So for the first little bit I stayed away from him, until I recently made a new guy and picked him regardless of my power choice and I was still getting drops appropriate for my guy.

So am I missing something or does the Mentor choice only change your quests and what-not and have no actual negative outcome if you pick a Mentor that doesn't match your powers? I haven't taken a character very far yet so I may be missing something big, but as it stands it seems the Mentor choice is kind of mis-leading.
---
PSN: Cham88
The moonlight was robust but they couldn't see the beauty in it...
#2Villain_S_FiendPosted 12/18/2010 10:26:05 PM
The Joker is awesome

why be some chump who throws bombs and uses guns

Umm...
---
To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.
#3chammin(Topic Creator)Posted 12/18/2010 10:29:25 PM
Personality wise he's the most interesting and he's got a great VA for this game. Anyone else got some input?
---
#4zecheusPosted 12/19/2010 1:53:36 AM
From what I can tell, you get more missions from your mentor's faction, raising which will allow you to buy the most favored armor from that faction. This may change after release, but that's the difference I've found in the beta (on ps3)
#5Ackel13XIIIPosted 12/19/2010 2:30:55 AM
The main thing is the mentor quests towards the end. Each mentor will give a different story for your character.
---
"In life, the road to darkness is a journey, not a light switch. - Lex Luthor
#6chammin(Topic Creator)Posted 12/19/2010 9:04:38 AM
So it's mainly about the quests? Awesome, I like that. Thanks for the input.
---