Steelguard - what's the point?

#1grog368Posted 3/15/2010 12:49:51 PM
Yes, I know it is supposed to reduce most of the damage, but you just sit there doing nothing.

Snow and Hope.... killed first two bad guys, and now the third (one of those bikes) keeps using the Gatling Gun to kill whomever. If I use Steelguard, it kills Hope. If I use Provoke, it kills Snow before he can get Steelguard up. If I actually get Provoke and Steelguard, then I just dance around for 5 minutes doing nothing until I get frustrated, swich to COM and then get Gatling Gunned before I can switch back.

Clearly, I suck.
#2TeraknPosted 3/15/2010 12:51:30 PM
Have Hope put on protect, that usually makes things a lot easier.
---
Win=Gamefaqs=Lose
#3foolishwtfPosted 3/15/2010 12:52:52 PM
There are two passives that reduce damage to all party members while using it.. makes a huge difference especially if your using the weapon for fang/snow that increases that shielding effect to group mates.
#4volcomstoner180Posted 3/15/2010 12:56:21 PM
sometimes in this game i think i really suck...this is my first time ever playing a JRPG and this has to be one of the most complex battle systems ever seen i struggle as well with the spells that enhance yout characters, but if you do certain ones early on in big battle its great to get baddies staggered

im only just beat some boss in chapter 5, and i struggled to beat it...so i know i have a lot more to get thru (but im having fun learning about this game, and the story is great so far)
#5YuriokiPosted 3/15/2010 1:00:29 PM
5 Minutes? are you using Snow and just clicking Auto Battle? if your having trouble with Gatling Gun just switch to SEN after it pops on screen use Provoke,Steelguard,steelguard and hit Y to cut off the rest of your ATB then after it fires it switch to one where Hope is a Healer and Snow is a COM then after healed somewhat switch Hope to w/e you want him to be
#6TengaarChanPosted 3/15/2010 1:01:47 PM
as soon as you see "gatling gun" up change paradigms then quickly manually chose provoke steelguard steelguard. just make sure you targeted the right enemy. it worked for me.
---
Xbox Live GT: Jacky Chan1
PSN GT: Tengaar Chan
#7pb4uxplodePosted 3/15/2010 1:02:58 PM
That's like saying "what's the point in having a tank"...

Steelguard is there to help reduce the damage the tank has once he has aggro... it's quite a simple concept really...
#8randomsentinelPosted 3/15/2010 1:04:18 PM

as soon as you see "gatling gun" up change paradigms then quickly manually chose provoke steelguard steelguard. just make sure you targeted the right enemy. it worked for me.

pretty much this. gatling gun has a long cast time so you can heal up, provoke then guard. provoke whenever you lose the ! and steelguard. gatling gun will not kill you if you do this right.
---
I have tribal spirit. Does this mean I'm cool now?!
GT: ShuffleXBL
#9grog368(Topic Creator)Posted 3/15/2010 1:15:08 PM
Gatling Gun does not have that long a charge time. I saw it appear as soon as the 4 ATB attack for Snow started on another enemy. By the time Snow's attack was over, and I switched to SEN+Med, the gun was firing and Hope was dead.

No chance to do anything. As I said in my first post.... if you leave SEN for COM or RAV, then it seems the Gatling Gun instantly appears and starts firing in a few seconds.

The shroud seemed to help to start with - thanks for that tip, I was overlooking it - but Protect/Shell doesn't stop a Gatling Gun on Hope. And Snow can't heal himself to save his life. 150 HP potions. Yeah...... 10-15% of your total health, when the Gatling Gun can take the entire thing. While the use of a potion does not take away time from the ATB, it sure does take time to use in real-time. And you can't use them fast enough w/out the bad guys having a field day.
#10grog368(Topic Creator)Posted 3/15/2010 1:19:58 PM
Annoying.

The entire thing came down to the Gun deciding to attack a full health Snow (before I could even get Proke) instead of Hope, so both lived (Snow barely).

Luck plays such a huge part in this game. Timing, attack type, and targets.
More topics from this board...
Chapter 9 Save filechunkyx27/25 2:45AM