Should I restart?

#1CatMutoPosted 4/8/2012 5:17:40 AM
Yesterday I re-bought XIII because I didn't get all the achievements and I basically sped through the entire game cause I wanted to finish it before getting XIII-2. Now I'm back and I'm post-game, doing some missions but ... I think I screwed things up badly.

I sold several weapons and such for needed money, I only upgraded certain weapons a lot - actually Lightning and Hope are the only two with really good weapons. And while most of them are on the last part of the Crystarium or just about to master a role, I don't think I can get enough CP to get myself to finish it.
And I have the Growth Egg - I just haven't used it yet.

Should I start the game over and follow a guide from the beginning, which I didn't do last time or try to salvage things? I mean, I know I already lost my chance at the Treasure Hunter Achievement and I don't have the nerve to go back and do all the previously done missions to 5 Star them.

C-A
---
A woman always has the last word in an argument. Say something against it, you just started a new argument.
#2tiornysPosted 4/8/2012 6:22:51 AM
Assuming you have any interest at all in getting all the trophies, I would suggest a replay. Overall, I've enjoyed my replays, as I've been able to take greater skill to the early battles and see a payoff in efficiency. I build very different paradigms now than I did on even my third time through the game (which I have preserved in a series of 58 saves), and I know those paradigms were different from my first playthrough. Once you reach chapter 10, you can experiment with different characters than you used the first time around.

t~
#3CatMuto(Topic Creator)Posted 4/8/2012 6:58:35 AM
I switch on and off for getting everything. Some are fun to get, others are just plain annoying. Although trying to find all those damn Mission stones are pissing me off. Particularely when I can't pass some of those monsters on the way - monsters I'm way too powerful for anyway.

I wouldn't mind a restart, except that the voices are beginning to annoy me ... but that happens to me a lot with english voiced games. And while I'd love to see Hope mock and yell at Snow while he's dangling off a building again, the time it takes for that kid to finally voice anything might annoy me again ...

C-A
---
A woman always has the last word in an argument. Say something against it, you just started a new argument.
#4tiornysPosted 4/8/2012 7:06:10 AM
Actually, I often skip the cutscenes on my replays. In fact, my 5th replay was motivated by a desire to actually watch all the cutscenes, since I wanted to refresh on the story before XIII-2 came out, and I hadn't been watching them since my 2nd time through. So if the scenes start to bother you, just skip them.

I have the Piggyback guide, so I've never had a problem with finding things. But yeah, some of those stones are in obscure places.

t~
#5destrian522Posted 4/8/2012 10:17:05 AM
Hold on. You mentioned selling weapons but what about accessories? Did you hold on to those? The weapons are unimportant.

Even if you sold everything up to Pulse, there are some Charms that you pick up in this chapter. Have you sold those? If you haven't, you can still get all the achievements.
---
CWLSIV
#6CatMuto(Topic Creator)Posted 4/8/2012 12:22:26 PM
destrian522 posted...
Hold on. You mentioned selling weapons but what about accessories? Did you hold on to those? The weapons are unimportant.

Even if you sold everything up to Pulse, there are some Charms that you pick up in this chapter. Have you sold those? If you haven't, you can still get all the achievements.

Umm... don't really remember. I stopped playing around... I don't remember, I think Palumpolum and then sped through the rest of the game with minimal grinding for the Eden and onwards part.
I know I upgraded a Doctor's Code to Maximum and a Cherub Crown turned to Seraphim Crown, but as for the rest... I mean, I didn't upgrade every weapon to it's second Tier so I already miss out on the achievement, right?
And I'm postgame, so I'm sure I pretty much opened every treasure chest that was found in Orphan's Cradle or Eden.

C-A
---
#7destrian522Posted 4/8/2012 1:52:12 PM
All weapons can be bought in stores so you don't lose the achievement if you sell them. The only things that matter are the elemental rings and charms. Go through your inventory and see if you can find a ring or a charm for each element: Fire, Ice, Lightning, Water, Wind, and Earth. Let me know which elements you don't have and I'll let you know if there is no chance of getting treasure hunter.
---
CWLSIV
#8CatMuto(Topic Creator)Posted 4/9/2012 4:19:36 AM
destrian522 posted...
All weapons can be bought in stores so you don't lose the achievement if you sell them. The only things that matter are the elemental rings and charms. Go through your inventory and see if you can find a ring or a charm for each element: Fire, Ice, Lightning, Water, Wind, and Earth. Let me know which elements you don't have and I'll let you know if there is no chance of getting treasure hunter.

Um lemme check... tons of Rune Braclets. <_<

Fire +25%, Lightning Eater, Wind Eater, another Fire +25% ... yeah all I have. I mean the Treasure Hunter Achievement isn't all that important to me right now. I'm just worried how long my patience will be able to take a game that feels like a movie again.
I learned to love the characters but the initial personalities drive me up the wall. Plus, getting 30K CP for one damn node at Stage 10... although I might as well gain some Role Achievements with the Growth Egg.

C-A
---
#9destrian522Posted 4/9/2012 1:22:28 PM
Okay, so you have Fire, Lightning and Wind.

Have you beaten Mission 39 yet? If not, you'll get an Earth element ring from it.

What about Mission 11? You'll get a Ice element ring from that.

There's no Mission that gets you a Water ring, unfortunately. You're going to have to go treasure sphere hunting for that one. Let me know if you have already beaten either Mission 39 or Mission 11, and I'll come up with a list of places for you to search for the accessories.
---
CWLSIV
#10CatMuto(Topic Creator)Posted 4/9/2012 3:07:40 PM
Mission numbers don't help me cause I barely even bother to note what I'm doing. I just look for what team to use and then I write it off.

Anyway, I started a new game now. I'm leaving the PNG for Treasure Hunter Achievement open on my PC so I can check it off later on what I all have or upgraded. I'm also going to not do any unnecessary missions until I know I can 5 Star them immediately. I hate walking into the Asylum of Light to get to those mission stones.

C-A
---