Low performance with an ATI card? Look here.

#1RagnarokxvPosted 3/27/2009 6:54:04 AM
Set the texture shadow to low. Maxing this option will slow your Radeon to a crawl.

If you are running a crossfire system, this game will not utilize both GPUs because there is no crossfire profile included in the driver yet.

A fix for this is to change the name of the .exe from "The Last Remnant" to "MassEffect". This works as both games use the same unreal engine, therefore the profile for mass effect will work in its place. At least until the real profile for the game is out.

Before making these changes I would get a high of 25 fps in battle and a low of single digit numbers. Now I get a high of 130 fps and low of 60-70 fps.

I thought I'd share this as some people claim that this game won't run properly on an ATI Radeon 4870X2 on Vista. This isn't true.

This is my PC:
Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 @ 4.4ghz
4GB DDR2 1066mhz
HIS Radeon HD 4870X2 2GB
Windows Vista 64 bit
---
Did I say that, or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me??
#2Jedi_GuardianPosted 3/27/2009 7:14:46 AM
excellent, posting so I have a link to this when I get home. I was unaware that the texture shadow's were killing my fps, especially since I had more fps running the benchmark and demo. I figured it was because of the increased memory profile or the built in steam notification system.
---
"Suck it down"
#3MaltosePosted 3/27/2009 10:39:48 PM
Steam is pretty lightweight. Barring a Steam bug, I don't think it'd have any detrimental effect on your game's performance.
#4Ragnarokxv(Topic Creator)Posted 3/30/2009 3:30:43 AM
Bump

Maybe this will still be useful to someone
---
#5WongsterPosted 3/30/2009 3:44:17 AM
So changing the name to Mass Effect will enable me to push my shadows to max?
---
[HOUSE] [OF] [THE] [DEAD] Ideal, Trial, Faith, Reality,
~~~~~~~~~~[4]~~~~~~~~~ Metempsychosis...
#6Ragnarokxv(Topic Creator)Posted 3/30/2009 8:38:40 AM
The mass effect thing only applies to crossfire meaning 2 graphics cards/ GPUs.

having shadow texture on high slows you down regardless.
---
#7bloodymojitoPosted 3/30/2009 1:46:21 PM
In Which folder ist the .exe?

If you're talking about C:/programs/steam/steamApps/common/thelastremnant/binaries/

when I change the .exe in that folder I just get a error from steam...so what am I doing wrong?

---
I know stuff.