question about stats: strength/atk and intellect/mys

#1infinite_minutePosted 3/31/2009 2:32:28 PM
i just got this game the other day, and am a bit confused about how stats affect damage. for example: if you have two characters, one with 20 intellect, 40 mys, and a second with 40 intellect and 20 mys, which would be the more damaging caster? do they add up to be the same, or is mys like a grand total? etc. also, does the same thing apply to strength/atk? and are these the only stats that affect each other?
---
../|,-``\(o)_\,----,,,_. THE INTERNET : SERIOUS BUSINESS
( `\(o),,_/` : o : : :o `-,.FFXI: Crelond - Midgardsormr / Gunz: ChaosIX
#2Velius315Posted 3/31/2009 3:05:21 PM
I think units do/receive damage based on their own stats in a Union. The AP is combined as well as the HP. However, I have seen individual units die in a UNION so I am not too sure on the HP mechanic.
#3Grampy_BonePosted 3/31/2009 3:16:03 PM
I think weapon strength plays a greater role than character stats. I don't have much to back this up other than my gut feeling after 30-40 hours of playing though.

Union HP is the sum of all character's Hp. No one dies until everyone dies, most of the time. However there are weapons and special attacks which can kill an individual person but still leave the union alive (strangely this doesn't affect the union's max hp; they can still be healed up to the full Hp value of all units, including the dead guy).

What really annoys me is that the game considers a dead character within a union a "status effect" rather than an incapacitation, which affects the command draw in funny ways.

For example, a union gets their leader killed so they can't input commands. My healing Union gets the order "Remove their status effects!" but the actual command they will use is Kiss of Life (the revive spell). When the turn begins, the union with the dead leader gets attacked and completely wiped out. No big deal I think, as I already have my other union set to revive them. But noooo, because they were given the "cure status effects" command, and the unit is now "incapacitated", they DO NOTHING! ARGHHH!

---
"If challenge had a taste, you'd be quite delicious!" ~ Travis Touchdown, No More Heroes
#4infinite_minute(Topic Creator)Posted 3/31/2009 4:21:43 PM
i didnt think to check the board for the 360 version as well..one of the theories over there is that the stats of this game are similar to FFXI (which makes me feel a bit dumb, considering i played that, but whatever). if that is the case, strength and attack basically form a damage floor and ceiling (attack raises a unit's base or minimum damage, while strength raises the unit's maximum damage or cap). that seems reasonable enough i suppose, i'll go with that.
---
../|,-``\(o)_\,----,,,_. THE INTERNET : SERIOUS BUSINESS
( `\(o),,_/` : o : : :o `-,.FFXI: Crelond - Midgardsormr / Gunz: ChaosIX
#5DragoonKain33Posted 3/31/2009 5:27:25 PM
Actually, if anything, I think the game follows more FF12's system, where most attacks use (ATK-DEF)* STAT*RND. This game probably uses something to that effect, with different damage formulas concerning single hit arts, union wide arts, area of effect arts, and your normal damage (which for some reason scales much better than low level arts).

Why? Because if weapons just formed the celing, then you'd have a GREAT range of numbers.

And from testing normal attack and mystic art damage, the max damage is never more than 35% of the min damage (or X damage with a +/- 15% range of values). I have results with a low STR/INT Rush but end gear weapons, and I never got any extremely low values despite getting at almost a hundred numbers.

As for the topic question...

1h mystic art damage using spark I against spider in blackdale
katana and base INT: ~375
aura tatraichi and base int : ~1150
katana and 255 int: ~1250
aura tatraichi and 255 int: ~3800

1h attack against spider in blackdale
katana and base STR: ~80
aura tatraichi and base str: ~800
katana and 255 str: ~800
aura tatraichi and 255 str: ~9000 (nope, not a typo, its 9000)

Note that considering you will most probably never reach 255 int through normal play (maybe around 100), then it only makes sense that its your weapon's ATK/MATK that will play the much larger role in the damage.
---
Turn 1: Enhance Spells
Turn 2: Overdrive, Water Blast X5
#6sup9Posted 3/31/2009 8:39:52 PM

Grampy_Bone posted...
For example, a union gets their leader killed so they can't input commands. My healing Union gets the order "Remove their status effects!" but the actual command they will use is Kiss of Life (the revive spell). When the turn begins, the union with the dead leader gets attacked and completely wiped out. No big deal I think, as I already have my other union set to revive them. But noooo, because they were given the "cure status effects" command, and the unit is now "incapacitated", they DO NOTHING! ARGHHH!

Yeah... quite weird logic, wasn't it?

I wonder there is mass healing in the late game or not. My healer union provide the option with the description "heal other unions". I was thinking "Alright, my 2 melee unions are below 70% HP, it's time to heal them up" and select that option. Guess what my healer union doing? They just heal one union and ignore the other one. They only can target one union, and never more than one even tho the other union is just right beside them. In term of reality logic, all they neeed to do is 'turn their face' and they can do it ~.~ ArRrrR ! lolx

The other funny scenario is... during Rush party with Emma search for Rush's mother in a mine, i linked too much and end up a tough battle. I choose the command with description "Attack, while healing with mystic art" or some sort due to my union is below 40% hp. Rush made a critial hit on target union and got 3-4 enemy union to go. Guess what my Emma thinking? She change her status from "Restore II" to "Stand By". It drive me nuts... What make her think that they no longer need heal? ARrRr !!!

Okie, enough whine. Think i need to master what their logic, eh ? ~.~

#7Grampy_BonePosted 3/31/2009 11:50:16 PM
There is a heal-everyone spell, it's one of the arcanas I believe, so you can't count on it in a pinch.

When you give the order "heal the others" they will heal everyone IN THAT DEADLOCK. So if one party is deadlocked with a monster, they will heal that one group. If it's a boss though and there are three unions fighting it in multi-deadlock, your healers should try to heal everyone. Of course there is no guarantee they will be efficient about it.

I have pretty good luck with characters doing "Reassess!" and changing to a healing spell. Glenys and Emmy do it all the time, and I think it might be because their class is Cavalier (which is combat and healing oriented). Could just be my imagination though.

---
"If challenge had a taste, you'd be quite delicious!" ~ Travis Touchdown, No More Heroes