Skill Leveling

#1badcat7Posted 1/3/2010 8:28:37 PM
Im trying to figure the combat/leveling system out.

Apparentlly, if I use Mysitc Arts the arts level up, and I can increase the power of an spell or learn a new one.

I suppose the same happens with Combat Arts.

So what happens if I just choose to attack generaly all the time? I wonder this because in some of the early battles I noticed that when I tell a union to attack with mystic arts and a unit has no magic spell, he defaults to "Attack". So what skills are being improved by that basic attack? Does that unit still gain in the Mystic Arts area and will he eventualy learn a spell by being in that group, or does his "Attack" level up some other aspect of the unit.

Also, If I have several combat arts all turned ON, does the art the unit will use become random? Maybe I should turn of the turbo to get a better look at what is happening on the field, no wonder I cant make those combos.
#2ysqure6Posted 1/3/2010 10:30:08 PM
Choosing to attack generally all the time is ****ing stupid, especially since you will almost always have AP out the ass. However, the regular attack is what gives your weapons the +1/+2/+3/etc. stuff.

Spend a bit of time reading the TLR wiki.
---
ysqure3
http://xfxp.thecomicseries.com/
#3badcat7(Topic Creator)Posted 1/6/2010 8:57:31 AM
Not sure who wrote that wiki, but it is filled with more useless information regarding skill leveling than I could have imagined. Im not interested in the hidden mechanics of the experience system, im just interested in how one can controll the progression of the skill development.

From what I gather, the class determines the skills that are available to the character, and the weapon determines the sorts of combat arts the character will learn. In order to learn the two handed arts, simply start using a two handed weapons. To learn arts for other grips, change the grip.

Im not sure how spells become available to a character. Im not sure for instance, how to get McGraddy to learn Invocations. My guess is that I just use Mystical Arts with his Union and eventualy, if Invocations are available to him, he will learn an invocation.

This is what I have figured from watching the characters develop. It dosent seem to be a complete picture because I have read of classes being able to change. Also, Rush seems to be a unique character in the skills he can learn seem to be related more to the special items he picks up, rather than his class. Are all characters able to change classes, or just Rush?
#4arrghigiveupPosted 1/6/2010 11:41:43 AM
badcat7 posted...
From what I gather, the class determines the skills that are available to the character, and the weapon determines the sorts of combat arts the character will learn.

Actually, it's a bit of the other way around. The class is determined by what skills a character has and regularly uses (and yes, all characters do change their classes), and how their stats are. So if Rush uses Combat arts very regularly and has a high Atk, his class will be a combat class. The class also, according to the wiki, confers a bit of stat bonus. Classes also change from a lower ranked class to higher ranked classes, which will, I assume, give a better bonus.

Now. Different characters learn different skills at different BRs. Torgal, for example, starts off with his Combat arts, as well as Evocations. He will learn Potions at BR 24, and Psionics at BR 45. Rush is the exception to this. As you mentioned, he can access all mystic and item skills through specific items gained from certain guild tasks and sidequests, and all combat skills by changing his weapon, unless the art is race-specific.

When a character first learns a skill, he/she will have access to only one art in that skill. Using that one art repeatedly in battle both improves the level of the art (e.g., from Spark to Spark II), as well as gives you the chance of learning more arts in that skill (i.e., use Spark often enough, and you will eventually get the next-ranked invocation which is Wind Shear).

Combat arts are slightly different. The type of combat art learned does, indeed, depend on what kind of weapons a character uses, and how many hands he has. Dual Wield arts can obviously only be learned by characters that wield two swords, whereas Quad Wield, Dual Power Grip, and Dual Two-Handed arts will only ever be learned by Sovani characters. Using an art repeatedly will, as above, both increase the level, and open new arts (Devil's Due to Devil's Due II, and eventually opening Bladedancer). The modifier, on the other hand is determined by the specific weapon the character is using. If you have a character wielding two broadswords, for example, you would likely get Mighty and Peerless Devil's Due, which, as the name implies, has more power. A character that uses two katanas on the other hand is likely to get Nimble followed by Swift Devil's Due, which is faster and (to me, at least), more accurate.

The exceptions to all that are Arcana arts and Special arts.

Learning an Arcana requires very specific conditions cropping up in battle. Blackout for example is learned only when a) there is more than one enemy unit on the battle field, b) your union leader attacks first using an Invocation, and c) he is followed directly (no enemies inbetween) by two other members of the union using either an Invocation or an Evocation.
All the criteria for all the Arcana are linked here: http://lastremnant.wikia.com/wiki/Mystic_Arts#Arcana

As for special arts, you have two categories. Unique Arts are unique to the character (e.g., Rush's and Irina's Omnislash). Weapon Arts are dependent on the character having a specific weapon (e.g., for Rush to learn Snowpetal, he must have Nightbloom or one of its upgrades equipped).
All the info on that is available here: http://lastremnant.wikia.com/wiki/Special_Arts
#5ysqure6Posted 1/6/2010 3:36:54 PM
Im not interested in the hidden mechanics of the experience system, im just interested in how one can controll the progression of the skill development.

I'm not interested in how the experience system works, I just want to know how skill progression works! Durrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrp. You control it by KNOWING HOW THE MECHANICS WORK.