DW Warrior Build

#1J8kePosted 12/22/2009 11:40:57 AM
Sup ya'll? I'm on my 3rd play through, and I want to make a nasty dps DW Warrior. I know most of the topics on dw are for rogue builds and not for warriors, which is why I wanted a little advice. As far as stats go, I pretty much need 36 Dex (with tower and equipment), 16 Cun (for coercion) and the rest into strength? I know I don't need much, if anything, in Con because I won't be tanking. Specializations in Templar and Berzerker.

My biggest questions are in relation to gear and strategy. What's the strongest/quickest weapons combo for a warrior? It's not like I can backstab, but my Dex will be high enough to use daggers if I wanted. I'm thinking of a Aodh/Starfang combo. But what about pieces for armor/rings/amulets/belts? And as far as strategy, hack n' slash? Any tips would be awesome.

Thanks guys!

---
PSN: jakeLION
#2longnekPosted 12/22/2009 11:52:57 AM
I just played through with pretty much the same build. I don't know if it's the ultimate, but my guy's geared up with:

Armor: Juggernaut. It gives + strength bonus, which means + damage. I wasn't sure about giving up the helm of Honnoleath +2 all attributes, but on the stats page, the damage was higher with the juggernaut.

Weapons: Starfang + Keening Blade

Rings: Key to the city + 2 all attributes
Memory band, but could be replaced with Warrior's ring or whatever it's called (+strength)
Belt: Andruil's Blessing + 2 all attributes

So as far as playing, Berzerk and Momentum are a must for sustained talents.

Dual-Weapon Sweep is surprisingly effective,

I never used dual striking or final blow, so I wouldn't bother with final blow imo.

That's about it, punisher, flurry, for damage, as well as riposte and cripple for weakening and your warrior will be BEAST. Honestly this was my fourth playthrough and this character was unstoppable. More fun than the rogue imho.

---
Longnek - Recovering MMORPG player.
#3longnekPosted 12/22/2009 11:56:14 AM
Oh, and of course Haste is always on some mages sustained. Also I like Alistair as a Champion and Leliana's bard's song. Also some +element damage from a mage.
---
#4J8ke(Topic Creator)Posted 12/22/2009 12:54:22 PM
Thanks for the tips Longnek! I might play around with the armor a bit more, but I appreciate the input. What did you end up with for your attributes?
---
#5longnekPosted 12/22/2009 1:05:12 PM
I'm sure you can improve the armor if your quest is to find +strength attributes.

With gear my char has:

79 Str
41 Dex
23 Wil
18 Mag
20 cunn
31 con

75% spirit res too which is nice in the final battle.

---
#6J8ke(Topic Creator)Posted 12/22/2009 1:10:08 PM
Awesome opossum. Thanks again! Can't wait to get her started (female common dwarf).
---
#7ripstrawberryPosted 12/22/2009 3:00:28 PM
Sup ya'll? I'm on my 3rd play through, and I want to make a nasty dps DW Warrior. I know most of the topics on dw are for rogue builds and not for warriors, which is why I wanted a little advice. As far as stats go, I pretty much need 36 Dex (with tower and equipment), 16 Cun (for coercion) and the rest into strength? I know I don't need much, if anything, in Con because I won't be tanking. Specializations in Templar and Berzerker.

You need 36 dex including the bonuses from the tower. So that means you should have 32 base. If you plan to be auto-attacking alot then dual-weapon mastery is not worth it so you'll only end up needing 30 dex including the bonuses form the tower because you'll be using dual daggers. You get 5 cun from the tower so you wont need to put any points (human) or 1 point if you're a dwarf. The rest into str. If you're going to talent spam the best weapons to use are dual veshialles. ^_^

My biggest questions are in relation to gear and strategy. What's the strongest/quickest weapons combo for a warrior? It's not like I can backstab, but my Dex will be high enough to use daggers if I wanted. I'm thinking of a Aodh/Starfang combo. But what about pieces for armor/rings/amulets/belts? And as far as strategy, hack n' slash? Any tips would be awesome.

Dual longswords are good early ~mid game. Once your str starts to get really high 2 veshialles will outshine it. If you're really set on using dual longswords, keening blade and starfang is your combo

weapon1: veshialle/starfang/rose's thorn
weapon2: veshialle/keening blade/tier 7 crow dagger
amulet: heart of witherfang
belt: andruil's blessing
ring1: key to the city
ring 2: dawn ring
helmet: helm of honleath
gloves: gloves of guile
boots: cadash stompers
chest: blood dragon plate v1.0/shadow of the empire

That should net you the maximum dps possible. blood dragon plate v1.0 is the one w/ the +3 str bonus. Use the dual dagger setup only when you plan to auto-attack w/ momentum+swift salve+blood thirst alot instead of spamming attack talents. But if you wanted to auto-attack alot, you're better off w/ rogue. The reason to use a dual wield warrior is to spam aoe attack talents.

Armor: Juggernaut. It gives + strength bonus, which means + damage. I wasn't sure about giving up the helm of Honnoleath +2 all attributes, but on the stats page, the damage was higher with the juggernaut.

Don't trust the character sheet. Check in combat. The character sheet is bugged and doesn't show dmg correctly. The juggernaut set is the 3rd best to use though. My setup is the most efficient. 2nd is the legion of the dead armor set w/c pulls ahead of my combination if the enemy has low armor.

Memory band, but could be replaced with Warrior's ring or whatever it's called (+strength)

Dawn ring is much better. +4 str.

I never used dual striking or final blow, so I wouldn't bother with final blow imo.

Final blow is a waste of stamina unless you have a mage auto-casting rejuvenation on you. Dual striking essentially doubles your dmg but cause approximately 2/5 of your attacks to "whiff" and removes your crits. The duelist's pinpoint striking overrides this crit nerf though. It is useless on DW warriors who have started getting higher crit rates. Early game it's usable but I stay away.

Oh, and of course Haste is always on some mages sustained. Also I like Alistair as a Champion and Leliana's bard's song. Also some +element damage from a mage.

Haste will screw over your atk spd once you start running momentum, blood thirst or swift salve. I advice to stay away from this once your DW warrior has access to those. Haste is bugged. T_T

---
In life, there are winners. Then, there are losers. Be jealous.
#8J8ke(Topic Creator)Posted 12/22/2009 4:55:55 PM
Thanks for the input Rip. I'm usually more of an armor set kind of guy, so I'm guessing I'll hook up with the Legion armor at some point. I'll definitely give the individual pieces a shot though. I'll probably spam talents more than I will autohack, so I might look at Starfang and Vershailles (sp?)?
---
#9ripstrawberryPosted 12/22/2009 5:25:58 PM
Thanks for the input Rip. I'm usually more of an armor set kind of guy, so I'm guessing I'll hook up with the Legion armor at some point. I'll definitely give the individual pieces a shot though. I'll probably spam talents more than I will autohack, so I might look at Starfang and Vershailles (sp?)?

Take note to get the legion armor set bonus you just need the chest, bloves and boots. Skip the helmet and stick to helm of honleath. The individual pieces i have set up will dole out more dps usually so do give them a try especially if you have the overpowered version of the blood dragon plate. Starfang+keening blade early~mid game w/ dual striking on. Once you get more crit bonuses (dual weapon expert, equipment bonuses, precise striking and blood thirst) and higher str, w/c is typically mid~late game dual veshialles are better for dps. Turn off dual striking then.

---
In life, there are winners. Then, there are losers. Be jealous.
#10ssj3mattPosted 12/22/2009 6:39:57 PM
I notice that you have Heart of Witherfang listed as the optimal amulet in most of your equipment setups.

The Dragon Age wiki says it gives +1 st, +1 Mag, and 50% nat res. If those states are accurate, then why do you suggest it? Is one extra strength that good? At least to say it's better than the Spellward?
---
"The most dangerous criminal may be the man gifted with reason, but with no morals." Martin Luther King Jr