Can I not change my character's look after creation?

#1TurduckenPosted 8/23/2011 11:20:46 AM
I'm not talking things like the shape of their face or change them to black or something, but simple things you should be able to do, like alter their hairstyle, add/remove facial hair, etc. I know in Fallout 3 you can, but is the same true here?
---
*In Superfly's head*- "Oh no! Save me, my buddy Superfly! Save me with your muscles and your handsome face!" SO SAYS MISTER VISION
#2ericcarterPosted 8/23/2011 11:56:38 AM
No once you exit the creation screen that's it, set in stone no changes. If you have the Black Emporium you can in DA2, but in this one no go. Oh, and here's the best part, between the creation screen and the actual game there is a bit of difference, what looks good on the CS may not be as good in the game, sucks big time.

I am very picky so it took me several tries before I got the look I wanted. Now I can redo it easy. Play with it a while, might take a few tries and you must get past the opening bit of each origin to see what you really look like. There will be some dialog, then an auto save, then you can see what you really look like.
#3s0m3katPosted 8/23/2011 1:01:12 PM
There is a way around it if using the PC version. But on the console version, as far as I know, you can not change the way you look in this one, just in DA2
#4rhodriaPosted 8/23/2011 6:43:37 PM
It would be cool to start off clean shaven and grow a beard over the course of the game. I can't see the Warden being too concerned with shaving.
#5ericcarterPosted 8/23/2011 6:55:53 PM
rhodria posted...
It would be cool to start off clean shaven and grow a beard over the course of the game. I can't see the Warden being too concerned with shaving.

Cept that only a human would/could do that and both human male types would have had discipline drilled into them, including hygiene. A mage maybe but if he had not started one by the beginning of the game I don't really see it happening. The noble noway, even as a rogue he would have some training as a soldier and, so exercise and hygiene would be automatic.
#6s0m3katPosted 8/24/2011 10:14:40 AM
Not sure how being trained as a soldier would preclude growing a beard?
#7Turducken(Topic Creator)Posted 8/24/2011 10:33:00 AM
I agree. I'm pretty sure both the human noble's brother and father both have beards, as does Duncan.

Oh, and here's the best part, between the creation screen and the actual game there is a bit of difference, what looks good on the CS may not be as good in the game, sucks big time.

Aye. Thanks for the tip, mate. Since you can't change at all I'm gonna have to be extra picky; terrific.

As long as I've got a topic, I've been wondering towards class, too. I'm leaning towards either a human fighter or thief (warrior, rogue, whatever), but are rogues sturdy enough to justify having more than one? Seems the game throws more warriors at you than you know what to do with from the little I've read up on party members, but hardly any of the other two classes.

So the question's two-fold, I guess. Are rogues sturdy enough to handle themselves in the thick of a fight, and if I took a warrior, are there enough options to make him stand out/otherwise be worth having Fighter #124 in the party?
---
*In Superfly's head*- "Oh no! Save me, my buddy Superfly! Save me with your muscles and your handsome face!" SO SAYS MISTER VISION
#8ericcarterPosted 8/24/2011 12:16:50 PM
s0m3kat posted...
Not sure how being trained as a soldier would preclude growing a beard?

It wouldn't preclude it, but both the noble and mage are 18ish at the start of the game. it would seem that if either of them were going to have a beard it would have been started by that point (for the most part). That said I think I said something about discipline, which can also mean routine. And thus the automatic thing. I'm not saying they would not, but they also wouldn't just stop doing something they had done all their lives. It would bring a sense of normalcy to the disorder they are now in.
#9ericcarterPosted 8/24/2011 12:36:57 PM
Turducken posted...
I agree. I'm pretty sure both the human noble's brother and father both have beards, as does Duncan.

Oh, and here's the best part, between the creation screen and the actual game there is a bit of difference, what looks good on the CS may not be as good in the game, sucks big time.

Aye. Thanks for the tip, mate. Since you can't change at all I'm gonna have to be extra picky; terrific.

As long as I've got a topic, I've been wondering towards class, too. I'm leaning towards either a human fighter or thief (warrior, rogue, whatever), but are rogues sturdy enough to justify having more than one? Seems the game throws more warriors at you than you know what to do with from the little I've read up on party members, but hardly any of the other two classes.

So the question's two-fold, I guess. Are rogues sturdy enough to handle themselves in the thick of a fight, and if I took a warrior, are there enough options to make him stand out/otherwise be worth having Fighter #124 in the party?

Rogues can become wicked powerful if you build them right. I used a rogue for the full game (main game and all the DLC) by the end of Awakenings my rogue dealt a single hit of 1400+ damage. So, yeah they can hold their own.

That said a DW backstab rogue needs to be micromanaged, its the only way to get them to flank so as to backstab. So, if you want one make that your main character. You get 2 other rogues that you can add to your party, one makes a nice archer and the other is a DWBS so I take him but don't use him over much. You can set him up as DEX rogue and spam talents.

For a warrior, sure you can make one that would stand out. You can make a damager DW (although rogues are far better at DW) or a sword & shield or a two-hander. You can since you get Alistair so early set yourself up as the tank and build Al as the damager. That is totally up to you.

Really though, you get a pretty balanced group 2 mages, 2, rogues, and 4 warriors. The nice thing is the mages and warriors can be automated, just set up their tactics and let them go. Rogue archers can be too. The backstab rouge can not, so keep that in mind.

But all three classes can become beasts, the mage or rogue a little more so, IMOHO, but warriors can do just fine. So long as you build them right any will work well and can be fun.