So how is this game really? Now that it's 2012.

#1UncleGrubbyPosted 3/27/2012 9:31:14 AM
I was always interested in this game but I've read mostly mixed reviews. My friend said he played it a bit on PC and found it generic and boring. However, the game is pretty cheap now so I'm still considering it. My friend and I don't have equal tastes all the time.

I can't run this on PC, so it's PS3 for me. How does it stack up to other console RPGs this generation? For the record I really couldn't get into Skyrim, it was so boring. Though I am aware this game isn't anything like Elder Scrolls.
#2wwinterj25Posted 3/27/2012 9:40:12 AM(edited)
I bought the Ultimate Edition been as it was cheap and to be honest I agree with your friend. I find it to be generic and boring. I want to get into it so keep going back to it now and then but I get bored after half a hour. I guess it's not my cup of tea and I don't understand all the hype about it.

Who knows maybe I'll like Dragon Age 2 more been as folk say it's changed from Origins but I won't know that until a Ultimate Edition comes out of Dragon Age 2. This may be unfair and a lot will disagree with me when I type this but Dragon Age: Origins reminds me of World of Warcraft. I didn't enjoy that either.

My best advise is to buy it and try it for yourself been as it's so cheap now. It's no big deal if you don't like it and the Ultimate Edition offers a lot of content for your money. I like games like Mass Effect better that are a mix of RPG and action.
---
One who knows nothing can understand nothing - GamerTag: wwinterj/PSN wwinterj add me :D
#3UncleGrubby(Topic Creator)Posted 3/27/2012 9:48:06 AM
Thanks for your honesty. For me lots of content doesn't matter if the game is boring because I'll never see any of that content. I don't force myself to play something I find boring. There's some 300 hours in Skyrim and I'll never see more than the 30 I've put into it, all of it wasted in the vain hope the game was going to get better.

It's weird, with all the similarities between Fallout 3 and Skyrim I wonder why I find Fallout so much more compelling and fun and I find Skyrim to be such a complete bore.
#4CalculatorRamzaPosted 3/27/2012 10:25:53 AM
One of the things I really like about this game is the conversation and interactions with the rest of your party members (which Skyrim doesn't seem to have from what I've seen of it).
#5wwinterj25Posted 3/27/2012 11:20:13 AM
UncleGrubby posted...
Thanks for your honesty. For me lots of content doesn't matter if the game is boring because I'll never see any of that content. I don't force myself to play something I find boring. There's some 300 hours in Skyrim and I'll never see more than the 30 I've put into it, all of it wasted in the vain hope the game was going to get better.

It's weird, with all the similarities between Fallout 3 and Skyrim I wonder why I find Fallout so much more compelling and fun and I find Skyrim to be such a complete bore.

I figure I bought it so it's better to try and play it and give it a chance then let it sit on the shelf and collect dust. With that been said that's all the game has been doing for a good few months.

I liked Oblivion: Game of the Year version better than all the Fallout games and better than Skyrim for that matter. I just found the story, world. characters and setting to be much more interesting. The only thing Skyrim does better is the combat but not much better. I guess it all comes down to personal preference.
---
One who knows nothing can understand nothing - GamerTag: wwinterj/PSN wwinterj add me :D
#6SunricerPosted 3/27/2012 5:30:15 PM
I don't really know what kind of games you like, but have you played any of Bioware's previous games? (KOTOR for example) Because, at least game mechanics, are similar to that. If you don't like sorta generic fantasy settings, or gameplay like KOTOR has, you might not enjoy this. Of course, I'm too bias to offer my opinion on the story as I've replayed the game 10 times now and own it for both PS3 and PC.. *sigh*

I have noticed though, that people who dislike DA:O seems to like DA2. Which in my opinion, isn't a bad game, just not as good as DA:O. (If DA2 was it's own game, I'd like it more. Not the sequel I wanted though..)
Anyway, I don't suppose there is a demo of the game somewhere? >.>
Still, if it's cheap, what do you have to lose?
#7DepressionismPosted 3/27/2012 6:19:26 PM
Get the Ultimate Edition. It's cheap, and opinions vary so just because your friend didn't like it doesn't mean you won't. If you've become interested in the game, it's quite likely you'll enjoy it.

Honestly, it's the best RPG I've played in my entire life. I love Final Fantasy and FFX is a masterpiece, but DA:O surpassed it in its own right.
---
the lion heart alchemist
#8CBratePosted 4/2/2012 1:19:48 AM
This game is less like Skyrim and more like Mass Effect because of the character interactions.
If you want a solo main character that superhumanly fights whole armies, this game isn't for you.

---
To all the trolls out there, I have 98 users on my ignore list. Come at me. My list needs to grow...
The latest ignoree: truegam3r
#9tomo012Posted 4/2/2012 9:44:54 PM
When I first got this game I didn't much care for it and little things about it really bothered me. But after having thoroughly beat Demon's Souls and having nothing else to play I picked this game up again, got hooked on the storyline and lore, and did four different playthroughs in a row to get as much as I could out of the story.

It's been a while since I last played this game but I do think about it often enough from time to time and wish DA II had been a better successor. Sadly DA III will also be another disappointment. But because of DA: O's huge impact on my RPG gaming experience I will have no choice but to get III as well. As far as DA: O is concerned Is say it is easily in the top 3 games of this generation's RPGs.

Get this game and stick with it. It will truly be worth it and then you will know what it is like to never truly get closure in your life.
#10dot921Posted 4/10/2012 1:55:59 PM
It's amazing, in my opinion at least.

But seriously, at least try it, one of my favourite RPGs, and even one of my favourite games.
---
0303-9180-7014 - Black - Gale
4383-1144-4610 - Platinum - Mika