Nature of the Beast questions (spoilers)

#1ToreveilPosted 8/13/2010 11:56:16 PM

If you tell Zathrian right when you first enter the brecilian outskirts, "I will kill witherfang for you", does that mean you are permanently locked into siding with the dalish, and you can never change your mind to side with the werewolves?

Second, which option is better? Side with the werevolves and have the dalish killed? Or side with the Dalish?

There are some interesting drops on the corpses of some of the elves if they are killed. Like the Magister's staff and the keeper's ring of zathrian. But can't you just kill Zathrian at the end of the quest and get those drops anyway?

If you kill zathrian, will all the other elves change their attitude towards you?

Thanks. Any advice would be appreciated.

#2Toreveil(Topic Creator)Posted 8/13/2010 11:57:22 PM
oh and I forgot, also if you side with the dalish, won't zathrian give you griffon's helm and beak as a reward? I thought that you could get those from the grey warden vault. So does it matter if zathrian lives or dies?
#3NocteraynePosted 8/14/2010 1:13:25 AM
-You can always change your mind in regards to whom you side with. The only thing that cements this is a battle, or "fighting words".
-I find it more useful to side with the elves. Ranged is useful for a part in the final battle.
-You can choose to just kill Witherfang (siding completely with the elves), remove the werewolf curse by killing Zathrian (still siding with the elves), or turn against the Dalish (aiding the werewolves).
-The elves should be understanding towards Zathrian's death. Unless maybe you rub his death in their faces or something.
-You get the Griffon Helm only from the Warden vault, the Beak you get from Zathrian ONLY if you asked for a reward for helping the Dalish at the start of the quest.

Hope this helps!
---
AC:CF Chroniko@Sephira 0774-7757-0798 (WiiSpeak)
#4Toreveil(Topic Creator)Posted 8/14/2010 1:24:43 AM

It definitely helps! But I am very confused by this section of the wiki,

Convince Zathrian to lift the curse Curse Lifted

If the Warden brings Zathrian to the Lady of the Forest, and refuses to help Zathrian, he will attack the party and the werewolves. As above, he will summon four Sylvans and two Greater Shades to assist him. Companions' approval changes when this course of action is selected:

Oghren disapproves (-5) Alistair approves (+2) Morrigan approves (+2) Leliana approves (+6) Wynne approves (+7)

If you promise to protect Zathrian before he meets the Lady, and then say it was just a ruse to get Zathrian to the meeting:

Sten approves (+3)

During this fight, Witherfang and all the werewolves will be paralyzed; you will need to dispel this, otherwise it will be a difficult battle. If Alistair or any other templars have Cleanse Area, this will free your allies, making the battle significantly easier. Alternatively, you can cast Mana Clash on Zathrian, which will finish him off in a single round. Once his health reaches about 20%, he will surrender, and eventually agrees to lift the curse, sacrificing himself and banishing the Lady of the Forest in the process. The remaining werewolves will all revert to human form and leave to rejoin society.

You will not be able to loot the Heart of Witherfang or a Keeper's Ring if you take this course of action. However, the Warden may ask Swiftrunner, for a reward: Swiftrunner's Shield. It's also possible, as with Zathrian, to double-cross the now human werewolves after you receive his shield. If the Warden says "Not enough", this will trigger an attack from all the former werewolves in the area. The party may focus on Swiftrunner at first, since he is the only one doing any considerable damage.

If you do this, won't Swiftrunner be killed, and thus, will not show up and aid in the final battle?

I want to side with the werewolves, but if I do that, then I won't be able to shop from Varathorn's RESTOCKED shop. Correct?

I had no idea that there were so many choices in this quest. Getting the magister's staff off the corpse of Zathrian sounds good because it is a nice staff, but you can only get it if the werevolves kill him and the entire camp.

Then again, there is that issue with not being able to shop from varathorn, again.

I don't even want to get into questions about the Mad Hermit.........

#5Wren28Posted 8/14/2010 1:26:26 AM

No you are not locked into siding with the Elves if you tell Zathrian you will kill Witherfang. However I always found siding with the Werewolves unhelpful in the end personally. And no the Elves will not turn on you if you side with them, but Zathrian dies in the process releasing the curse.

#6Wren28Posted 8/14/2010 1:30:24 AM

Toreveil posted...

If you do this, won't Swiftrunner be killed, and thus, will not show up and aid in the final battle?

I want to side with the werewolves, but if I do that, then I won't be able to shop from Varathorn's RESTOCKED shop. Correct?

I had no idea that there were so many choices in this quest. Getting the magister's staff off the corpse of Zathrian sounds good because it is a nice staff, but you can only get it if the werevolves kill him and the entire camp.

Then again, there is that issue with not being able to shop from varathorn, again.

I don't even want to get into questions about the Mad Hermit.........

If you side with the werewolves Varathorn's shop will be shut because he'll be dead...personally I never side with the werewolves but that is just me. I did it once and found them fairly useless at the end. And there are better staff's than the one from Zathrian anyway. I find persuading Zathrian to break the curse the best option in the end personally...but it's up to you how you want to play it.

#7Toreveil(Topic Creator)Posted 8/14/2010 1:32:44 AM

I thought that the only way to side with the werevolves was by them killing all the dalish in the camp. So you can side with the werevolves and still not have the dales in camp killed? I will still be able to have access to varathorn's RESTOCKED shop? I dont want to miss out on his tomes.

...and the wiki says the only way to get zathrian's magister staff is on his corpse if the werevolves slay him in the camp along with all the other dalish in camp.

But there are other ways for zathrian to die. You can kill him yourself, etc. why wont the magister's staff appear on his corpse then? Is this the only Magister's staff in the main game?

I also have a ton of questions to ask about the mad hermit later, but for now, I just want to figure out this whole siding business and how to go about it. ESPECIALLY when you, Zathrian, and the lady of the forest are talking, as I pasted a clip of it from the wiki above. There are like 4 different choices you can make. I am just trying to get the best gear out of it, the MOST EXP, and an opportunity to side with the werewolves and still get access to varathorns restocked goods.

#8Wren28Posted 8/14/2010 1:34:55 AM

Toreveil posted...

I thought that the only way to side with the werevolves was by them killing all the dalish in the camp. So you can side with the werevolves and still not have the dales in camp killed? I will still be able to have access to varathorn's RESTOCKED shop? I dont want to miss out on his tomes.

...and the wiki says the only way to get zathrian's magister staff is on his corpse if the werevolves slay him in the camp along with all the other dalish in camp.

But there are other ways for zathrian to die. You can kill him yourself, etc. why wont the magister's staff appear on his corpse then? Is this the only Magister's staff in the main game?

I also have a ton of questions to ask about the mad hermit later, but for now, I just want to figure out this whole siding business and how to go about it. ESPECIALLY when you, Zathrian, and the lady of the forest are talking, as I pasted a clip of it from the wiki above. There are like 4 different choices you can make. I am just trying to get the best gear out of it, the MOST EXP, and an opportunity to side with the werewolves and still get access to varathorns restocked goods.

Yes the only way to side with the Werewolves is to kill all the Dalish so no, you will not have access to Varathorn's shop if you side with the Werewolves.

As for Zathrian's staff, yes that is the only way to obtain it.

#9Toreveil(Topic Creator)Posted 8/14/2010 1:44:48 AM

Ok, I asked a second time because it sounded like u were saying you COULD side with the werewolves and the elves at camp would still be there when you said:

Wren28 posted...
And no the Elves will not turn on you if you side with them, but Zathrian dies in the process releasing the curse

so what is the deal with all those choices you can make? double crossing, etc. to where the werewolves change back into their human forms and you can fight them, etc. I am ridiculously confused by all that. Will you get extra exp if you do that and kill them?

I dont know the best choice when it comes to the meeting with lady of the forest/zathrian/swiftrunner, etc. etc.

I just want the most exp. and most obtainable gear.

also - it says on the wiki that if you side with the werewolves "Emissary Bulgah" shows up at the party camp and you can feed him nugs!? is this emissary a werewolf? That sounds pretty cool, actually.

This is a tough decision. I already have the mages on my side for the final battle. It would be so cool to have mages and werewolves together. Tough, tough choice.

#10Toreveil(Topic Creator)Posted 8/14/2010 1:50:06 AM

http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Varathorn

After three main quests varathorn's shop will be updated and restocked.

WOW! Is that true? So in theory, I could do 3 treaties first, get his shop updated, buy all his goods, and then he is expendable? I could side with the werewolves then?

OR...... does his shop restock (update) in a special way ONLY if you side with the Dalish? Such as, he would only sell a particular ring, or something if you DIDN'T side with the werewolves.

Just wondering if his shop updates in the same way as with siding with the dalish and/or doing 3 treaties, or if it updates differently.