Guide to beat The harvester on Hard. (awakening required)

#1shagadalicPosted 8/14/2010 5:08:12 AM
Okay, I just beated this annoyingly difficult boss with only 12 health potions(I forgot to take my belongings in the Silverite mines XD) and 2 superb stamina draughts.

Make sure you are a rogue!

what you need, or could use very well:
blackblade tunic(enchanted with 3 paragon stout runes.)
the "Misery" ancestral bow.

and for the rest of my equipment I had:
tricksters cap and gloves
and some boots of which I don't recall the name.

When you start this DLC. you get a book that let's you reassign your skills and what not.
USE IT!
I'm level 35
as your specs:
Assassin, Duelist and Leggionare Scout(since they all have +2 dex.)
your attributes:
raise strength to 24
and put the remaining 130 something points in dexterity

Skills:
fully upgrade Combat training,vitality and Clarity.
doesnt matter what you do with the remaining points.

Talents:
get every archery talent.
+ Weak points and Ghost.
I was just fooling around and I shoved the rest of my points into any tree which had a Passive talent in it.

Now, very little strategy is involved in this strategy :P
Activate weak points and accuracy(I also activated aim, but I dont know if it does any good)

your teammates will be dead within a minute, 2 tops.
keep running around until you can activate the switch. and every time it is possible to shoot 1 or 2 arrows do it!
use whatever talent you can whenever you can.
I mostly used: arrow of slaying, crit. shot and burst shot
whenever your surrounded use scattershot and sometimes rain of arrows will aid you in your fight.

I dealt around 300 damage every shot and with talents around 500-600.

I hope I helped anyone out there,
If you have a question, just post and I'll see if i can help
#2shagadalic(Topic Creator)Posted 8/14/2010 12:41:15 PM
seriously, no-one's interested in this?
#3mist200Posted 8/15/2010 3:54:06 AM
how come ure teamates die

havnt played the dlc yet but i play on nightmare and they seldomly die
#4KILLSTREAKPosted 8/15/2010 4:31:12 AM
It would feel wrong to have all that dex and no cunning - isn't cunning used instead when you pick certain abilities if the value is higher? I know the assassin can get some crazy damage from backstabs using cloak level 4 to get behind them with a shedload of cunning and a certain ability. I am not familiar with any of the awakening abilities as I started origins with a new character and want to finish it with him first before I transfer him.

Its certainly good to see someone using bows though - my character was meant to be a bow user. I could always glitch a few extra tomes of mortal vessel and put both cunning and dex up to a reasonable level(but not so it makes it too easy, only as much as I would have put it up to anyway.)
#5Wren28Posted 8/15/2010 6:21:58 AM

mist200 posted...
how come ure teamates die

havnt played the dlc yet but i play on nightmare and they seldomly die

All my team mates died because The Harvester I found to be the hardest boss they ever made...and I was playing on Casual! The archdemon is a breeze next to this guy as is the last boss in Awakenings. Mind this was with a character that did not do Awakening so they were not uber powerful:P.

#6theIllusionary1Posted 8/15/2010 10:38:36 AM
It would feel wrong to have all that dex and no cunning - isn't cunning used instead when you pick certain abilities if the value is higher? I know the assassin can get some crazy damage from backstabs using cloak level 4 to get behind them with a shedload of cunning and a certain ability. I am not familiar with any of the awakening abilities as I started origins with a new character and want to finish it with him first before I transfer him.

In Awakening, one of the new Archery talents is called Accuracy, which increases attack, damage, ranged critical chance, and ranged critical damage. This talent is based on the Rogue's dexterity score. This talent is ridiculously overpowered; at level 34 and with 178 dexterity, my archer rogue had a 99.20% critical chance and his normal shots critted for ~383 damage per shot. When combined with the Legionnaire Scout talent Strength of Stone (invincible for 20 seconds, 60 second cooldown), I was able to down the Harvester on Hard in about 2 minutes, using 5 potent health potions and 1 superb health potion.

I'm going to try again with my DW warrior next, but as an archer is was super easy.

---
There are two factors that influence how you view life: perception and reality. What you perceive is my illusion...the reality is that I'm already gone...
#7KILLSTREAKPosted 8/15/2010 10:40:47 AM
I have one word.

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!

I cant wait to finish my current playthrough and take my archer guy through awakenings!
#8theIllusionary1Posted 8/15/2010 10:56:00 AM
Archers in the DA:O universe are an oddity...they were sub-par in Origins and completely broken in Awakening. I remember seeing a vid on YouTube of a guy with 4 archers (PC, Nathaniel, Sigrun, and a re-specced warrior...Oghren I think) with the above build annihilating the Mother on Nightmare difficulty in something like a minute...it was absurd.

---
There are two factors that influence how you view life: perception and reality. What you perceive is my illusion...the reality is that I'm already gone...
#9Roland-o-GileadPosted 8/15/2010 11:29:04 AM

After seeing all the cool talents from 'Awakening', I decided to go w/an archer on my current playthrough. Haven't made it to 'Awakening' yet, but playing as an archer has been fun. It's definitely more challenging (in Origins); I go through health potions like crazy.

#10shagadalic(Topic Creator)Posted 8/18/2010 2:03:36 AM
@mist200

When you start this dlc, you get new teammates. And To be honest they suck big time.

You get a golem who is trained in magic, and he isn't even good at it.