sten or alistair?

#1DuskFoxPosted 11/11/2009 1:13:11 PM
im having a hard time choosing between the two, i just picked sten up and would like some future insight as to who works out better. i play as a shield and weapon warrior
---
Gamertag - Gnovl
#2MordicanPosted 11/11/2009 1:15:05 PM
If you're shield and sword then choose Sten. Alistair already starts down the same tree you are going down.
---
-No getting off the hook for free today, ladies, I'm not through playing. Besides, this time you might even give me a little sport- ~Albel~
#3kingman_73Posted 11/11/2009 1:19:00 PM
I went with Alistair because I thought he was more interesting.
---
If less is more, just think how much more MORE would be.
#4spartansjasePosted 11/11/2009 1:20:26 PM
Alistair is funnier and has better dialogue than Sten. Plus, I feel that he is better than Sten for being a tank and dealing damage, as long as you level his attributes and skills correctly...
---
"I feel sorry for people who don't drink, because when they wake up, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day." GT: JRBMaximus
#5Tallera257Posted 11/11/2009 2:21:09 PM

Sten is a damage MACHINE. If you give him the right combination of talents, skills and tactics, Alistair will never be able to beat him for raw damage-dealing potential.

However, Sten doesn't get the armor (and sometimes magical) bonus from carrying a shield, and there are a very limited number of truly AWESOME two-handed weapons in the game. Good one-handed weapons seem to be much more common (of course, the top-tier two-handed weapons that DO exist are pretty darned amazing). When it comes to tanking and soaking damage, a well-leveled Alistair will beat a well-leveled Sten every time.

Personally, I picked Alistair because he is a lot more interesting as a character, and has amusing random dialogue with nearly every other party member. Plus if you give him Shield Wall, he is as close to invincible as this game will let a character be. With a healer like Wynne in the party, he can tank enemies like no other, and his damage is nothing to sneeze at.

#6FiachPosted 11/11/2009 2:26:16 PM
Al's dialogue is very funny, Sten is just bleh, so the choice is beat the game or beat the game and have a good laugh too.
---
I'm sorry, I can only find his head, I'll call you back, when I find the rest of him.
#7MonkeyMassacrePosted 11/11/2009 2:28:51 PM
Sten is boring. I think I'm going to tell him to get lost soon. I've had it with his negativity. It's really just bringing my whole party down. Total buzzkill.
#8ByufPosted 11/11/2009 2:31:07 PM
MonkeyMassacre posted...
Sten is boring. I think I'm going to tell him to get lost soon. I've had it with his negativity. It's really just bringing my whole party down. Total buzzkill.

Sten is not negative, he's serious! There's a difference! (Or so I choose to believe on my playthrough)

Sadly I unlocked berserker after choosing Champion on Sten, goodness I wish I could revisit that decision (I could, but it would take too long)

Alistair is a sword + shield guy. Sten is a 2hander. Sten's killshot on the Ruins dragon is going to live in my head for a while. (I got the killshot on the southern one after he bit it, hah!)

Anyhoo. Everything *can* work. This game is well designed, tactically.
#9whexican715Posted 11/11/2009 2:31:08 PM
Though Alister will disapprove if you make some evil choices, not sure if Sten cares about them or not
---
Currently Playing: Dragon Age: Orgins, World of Warcraft
#10ByufPosted 11/11/2009 2:34:48 PM
whexican715 posted...
Though Alister will disapprove if you make some evil choices, not sure if Sten cares about them or not
---
Currently Playing: Dragon Age: Orgins, World of Warcraft

Sten cares about reaching the objective. Alister's a whiny idealist. I love the thought they put into these profiles.