Best stats for a pure DPS Rogue?

#11VanishingSkillPosted 11/19/2009 12:20:12 PM
Up to you. I prefer strength. Lethality is a waste of talent points in my opinion.
---
"No, whats an STD? Is it a new instance or something!??!?1/1" atfxkmk
#12klip_twingsPosted 11/19/2009 12:45:38 PM
There's not a lot of point in adding more than 36 Dex for the DW skills, considering there's a bug in the game that prevents Dex from actually contributing to your dagger damage (all damage from daggers comes from strength, or cunning if you have lethality). All Dex will really do is help you from getting hit.

So cunning (if you have lethality) will assist with your damage, or strength will assist with your damage (without lethality - or if it's higher than cunning), but it will also assist with your chance to hit, and will enable you to equip more powerful weapons.
#13hauntbotPosted 11/19/2009 1:02:30 PM
I have my dex around 37 and strength at 20... How high should I get cunning ? And should I keep raising dex or put the points elsewhere ?

if youre going lethality you need to keep up on dex to a certain extent, since cunning still doesnt help with attack rating. thats one of the advantages of a str rogue. if you go strength you can go all in after dex is high enough for dual weapon mastery, since strength contributes to both damage and accuracy.

Dirty Fighting
Combat Movement
Deft Hands
Improved Tools
Mechanical Expertise
Device Mastery
Dual Weapon Training
Dual Weapon Finesse
Dual Weapon Expert
Dual Weapon Mastery
Dual Striking
Riposte
Dual Weapon Sweep
Flurry
Momentum

Summon Wolf
Summon Bear

Coercion and Combat Training are maxed
Poison Making

I'll have to wait until later for stats

At 14 I'll pick up Assassin, but I'm going to wait to invest in it until I grab cripple, punisher, and the last two ranger talents. That'll put me at 18 when I can start down the assassin line. Not sure what to take at 22+.

you dont have to post exact stats, lol. i get the general concept youre going for.

i still think that just leaving the skillspam for warriors is a better route to go.

i dont think your build is optimized very well except perhaps from the angle of a skillspam rogue, which i just think is a terrible idea to begin with, since rogues have such abysmal base stamina. i can post a more detailed critique if youd like. im not knocking your playstyle, everyone should totally play what they enjoy most, i just dont think that some of your choices are things you should advise others to do, as they arent best from an optimal standpoint.

Lethality is a waste of talent points in my opinion.

it boosts crit rate for all standard attacks , and evasion comes after it, which is great for giving your rogue added survivability- something that strength rogues need even with their heavy armor, imo, unless you get play dead or master stealth, both of which can be rough to do, and stealth can be unreliable at times on a str rogue.
---
NO! **** YOU INTERNET! YOU RUINED MY INNOCENCE!- gigasmoose
~The Black Boardsman & Hundred Topic Slayer~ Viva El Noobie!
#14PolariisPosted 11/19/2009 1:12:05 PM
My first play through is a Human Noble Rogue and there are plenty of stat points to go around to get everything you want, my main guy looks like this...

*Azrael*
Human Noble ~ Rogue
<Assassin / Duelist>
Level 20

Base Stats: (No Item Bonuses)
Strength ~ 31 <For Starfang>
Dexterity ~ 36 <For Abilities>
Cunning ~ 52 <For Damage>
Willpower ~ 20 <For Stamina>

Skills:
Coersion 4
Combat Training 4
Survival 4
Poison 4

Talents: (P = Preset / G = Grey Warden / B = Book)
P) Dirty Fighting
1) Stealth & Dual Weapon Training
2) Dual Weapon Sweep
3) Flurry
4) Combat Movement
5) Below the Belt
G) Deadly Strike
6) Momentum
7) Marked for Death <Assassin>
8) Coup de Grace
9) Lethality
10) Stealthy Item Use
11) Combat Stealth
12) Evasion
B) Exploit Weakness <Assassin>
B) Master Stealth
13) Dual Weapon Finesse
14) Lacerate <Assassin>
15) Dual Weapon Expert
16) Dual Weapon Mastery
17) Dueling <Duelist>
18) Upset Balance <Duelist>
19) Keen Defense <Duelist>
20) Pinpoint Strikes <Duelist>

Weapons:
<MH> Starfang
11.90 Damage / Crit 3.40 / Armor Pen 4.20
+3 Dex / +3 Damage / +2.5 Armor Pen
Runes ~ GM Paralyze / +5 Electric / +10 Darkspawn

<OH> The Rose's Thorn
6.40 Damage / Crit 4.80 / Armor Pen 8
+2 Dex / +2 Health Regen / +3 Damage
+5% Crit Chance / +30% Crit & Backstab Damage
Runes ~ GM Paralyze / +5 Cold / +10 Darkspawn

Right now my guy does 67% of party damage and it was higher but Leliana cut into it some with Arrow of Slaying. I like the high Cunning for bonus damage on Backstabs and Armor Penetration but i was gimped until 9; if i planned ahead i would've just taken my Strength points early for equips but didn't know i needed 31 for Starfang. (Totally worth it) I have Momentum up at all times and never really feel gimped Stamina wise. My Armor Pen is so high now i do almost the same damage against heavily armored foes and the only thing that hurts my damage is Backstab immune guys but Marked for Death + Pinpoint Strikes takes care of that. Master Stealth + Combat Stealth is bananas. Resetting aggro every 10 secs makes life so much easier on bosses allowing you to do crazy damage and basically saving my Tank's taunt for Leliana / Wynne.

I'm just finishing the Urn of Sacred Ashes quest and haven't even gotten past the beginning quest of gathering an army and I'm level 20. For my next level i'm gonna grab Feast of the Fallen although Stamina hasn't really been an issue since like level 10-11. Then i'll probably grab Whirlwind before starting the Single Target line on Dual Weapon.

I have Leliana deal with Traps & Locks but if you wanted your rogue to deal with them you could easily splice those talents in early and just push everything else down a level as needed.
#15Torin1234Posted 11/19/2009 1:14:22 PM
Two paths:

1) Strength heavy, Dex to 24 for Momentum, Dual Weapon training to Finesse (tier 2, no higher), Riposte (or Punisher if you want to boost dex to 28), Coup De Grace, 18 Cun for Combat Stealth (Master Stealth is pretty much a waste), rest in Strength. Use Longsword/Dagger or Axe/Dagger and medium/heavy/massive armor.

2) Cunning heavy, Str to 20 for the best Light Armor, Dex to 24 for Momentum, Lethality, Dual Weapon training to Finesse (no higher), Riposte, Riposte, Coup De Grace, Combat Stealth, rest in Cunning. Use Dagger/Dagger or Axe/Dagger (axe is more DPS) and Light armor.

There is no other good way to play a DPS rogue.
#16hauntbotPosted 11/19/2009 1:24:49 PM
other than the riposte suggestions, thats all good advice. if youre going to use a lot of active abilities, you might as well get dual wield mastery, and expert has its place too, though it isnt necessarily a must have.
---
#17VanishingSkillPosted 11/19/2009 3:04:16 PM
i dont think your build is optimized very well except perhaps from the angle of a skillspam rogue, which i just think is a terrible idea to begin with, since rogues have such abysmal base stamina. i can post a more detailed critique if youd like. im not knocking your playstyle, everyone should totally play what they enjoy most, i just dont think that some of your choices are things you should advise others to do, as they arent best from an optimal standpoint.

Criticism isn't really all that relevant in this game, but I appreciate the thought.

I like clicking buttons, and I can't think of any better way to click lots of buttons and kill stuff than this. Rogues are fine with lots of clickies. They only gain 1 less stamina per level than warriors. So 20 something stamina less at top levels. Who cares, it's not enough to make a difference. Grab some willpower, grab some plus stamina items, and I slice up stuff left and right.

---
"No, whats an STD? Is it a new instance or something!??!?1/1" atfxkmk
#18hauntbotPosted 11/19/2009 6:25:30 PM
So 20 something stamina less at top levels. Who cares, it's not enough to make a difference. Grab some willpower, grab some plus stamina items, and I slice up stuff left and right.

they also start off with a lot less from the get go, dont have the - fatigue from powerful, and dont have deathblow, so it *is* a big difference in the end.

i totally respect your opinion on what you enjoy most, thats why i wasnt going to sit there and make some pointless argument over minor flaws. i do disagree with telling other people thats the way to play though. compensating for innate shortcomings is never as potent as reinforcing natural strengths.
---