what skill affects lockpicking?

#1VanDamPosted 1/13/2010 1:15:06 AM
I have my rogue set exactly how i want her, and she picks up quite a few chests but I run across way too many that are above her skill level...

im not around my game right now so i cant check it, i dont even know if it tells you but id like to know.
---
Save your prayers boys. Your god doesnt live here.
#2Gentara22Posted 1/13/2010 1:17:24 AM
It looks like a white chest.

Mabye "Tools"?
I think its that.
---
"If Hitler and Spider-Man 3 had a baby, they'd call it Modern Warfare 2's multiplayer" --xVv-Ether-vVx-, On MW2's Multiplayer
#3widget624Posted 1/13/2010 1:20:06 AM
Lockpicking is determined by your rogues deft hands talent and cunning. To determine how much of each you need you need to determine your lockpick score.

The lockpicking score is simple to compute:
L = (cunning - 10) + 10 * [lockpicking rank]

Your lockpicking rank is the number of points you have in the Deft Hands tree. If you have Deft Hands alone, your rank is 1; if you have Device Mastery, your rank is 4. As you can see, each point in the Deft Hands/lockpicking tree is worth 10 points of cunning. Notice that you can actually open locks without any points in the lockpicking tree if your cunning is high enough (I confirmed this in-game).

Great! But how high does your lockpicking score have to be to pick every pickable lock in the game? Unfortunately I don't have the time or know-how to inspect every lock in the toolset to find a maximum value for D. However, there is a big hint in traps.xls, which contains a sheet called lock_difficulty with the following table:

1 Auto Success
10 Simple
20 Very Easy
30 Easy
40 Medium
50 Hard
60 Very Hard
10000 Impossible

So I would tentatively suggest that you need a lockpicking score of 60 to pick every lock that can be picked. You can achieve a lockpicking score of 60 by getting Device Mastery + 30 cunning, or Mech. Expertise + 40 cunning, etc. Of course, some locks will still require keys or event triggers to open.
---
So my grammar is bad don't blame me, blame the teachers who taught it to me!
#4VanDam(Topic Creator)Posted 1/13/2010 1:22:42 AM
well...

it seems like you have covered every aspect of what i wanted to know...

nicely done.
---
#5widget624Posted 1/13/2010 1:26:17 AM
I can't claim credit for it, I just copied and pasted from someone else who done all the work figuring it out
---
So my grammar is bad don't blame me, blame the teachers who taught it to me!
#6VanDam(Topic Creator)Posted 1/13/2010 1:29:26 AM
in all honesty i knew it wasnt directly from you... but instead of giving me a so so response you hooked me up with the facts... much appreciated
---