duelist or ranger for leliana

#1ShadowCrossZeroPosted 6/23/2010 10:22:46 AM
which spec should she have between those two?
#2Nasada19Posted 6/23/2010 10:32:10 AM
Duelist if you want some useless boosts to dodge and accuracy, ranger if you want the pet that provides very nice support and a reserve of HP for you blood mages, but may occasionally steal your kills.
---
But if this is all there is,
then I don't want to be sane.
#3blutoblutarskyXPosted 6/23/2010 11:30:17 AM
given that leliana already has tons of archer oriented skills by the time you get her, and is deadly with a bow- i think its absolutely crazy to change her setup to a melee setup.

thus ranger seems the only logical choice between those two.

i usually put her as an assasin though because of role playing reasons. leliana is a city oriented character and her bieng a "wilderness tree hugger" seems more out of character as opposed to the assasin spec.

ranger, allowing you to summon an additional ally is however by far the best rogue spec (personally, and ironically i never use it because it doesn't fit in with any role playing aspects of the characters i make, nor does it fit with leliana or zeveran's characters).
#4blutoblutarskyXPosted 6/23/2010 11:31:47 AM
i didn't select the ranger spec for any npc till awakening (and never for any main).
#5TakfujiiPosted 6/23/2010 1:33:02 PM
I'd say ranger, duelist was a disappointment.
#6blutoblutarskyXPosted 6/23/2010 1:56:08 PM
^ i liked duelist, for the last two specs.

its good for a rogue if built right for teh passive bonuses and the crit rate increasing mode which is #4 in the spec.

problem is the second spec (upset balance) is total trash and unlike the kick to the nuts skill fromt eh rogue skill tree- it doesn't even give you a cool looking activateable power that you throw in just for aesthetic value when battleing.
#7Dragin_MasterPosted 6/23/2010 4:40:33 PM
Actually, choosing duelist "Dueling" DOES effect ranged accuracy, and helps out QUITE a bit. So putting just on point into Dueling and the rest of the points into other rogue or archery talents is good enough for me.

---
You're not going to tell me how to spell "Dragon" again, are you?
#8KantonosoPosted 6/23/2010 5:42:28 PM
At the very least, Duellist's defense bonuses give Leliana a better chance of surviving if engaged in melee combat. It's true that your tank can't always hold every enemy all the time, especially if Leliana spams skills like scattershot and arrow of slaying. That and a Duellist is about finesse and grace, which fit Leliana best of all if you're a roleplayer. I'd give her ranger, myself
---
Soul currently owned by: Rune Factory Frontier.
Current Objective: Stop being so whipped... by a nun! 0_o
#9FraustPosted 6/24/2010 5:43:26 AM
I always make her an assassin and have her go melee. All she has to do is backstab and she has the approval cunning boost so why not take advantage of it.
#10blutoblutarskyXPosted 6/24/2010 9:05:25 AM
"Duellist is about finesse and grace, which fit Leliana best of all if you're a roleplayer."

i see where you are coming from, and partially agree that those aspects would fit, but the duellist seems more "3 musketeer" and "zorro" finesse and grace with a rapier (which don't exist in dao- hope they are in da2) than "william tell" finesse with a bow.

VERY MINOR SPOILERS-

asassin, seems right up her alley because its actually a purpose of the bard in orlais, even though leliana admits to avoiding that aspect as much as possible.