Tanking question

#1belsayden777Posted 5/10/2012 11:43:37 AM
So while doing alright up until the battle of Redcliffe, it just seems I cannot hold any aggro in this fight.

My PC is my tank, decked out in heavy armor, Sword & Shield.
I taunt whenever possible and try to smack a couple different enemies, but none of them leave who they're fighting to try and attack my warrior.
#2dot921Posted 5/10/2012 12:05:47 PM
Which battle are you referring to?
---
0303-9180-7014 - Black - Gale
4383-1144-4610 - Platinum - Mika
#3belsayden777(Topic Creator)Posted 5/10/2012 12:09:04 PM
Fighting the undead that pour out of Castle Redcliffe.
#4dot921Posted 5/10/2012 12:33:04 PM
Okay, I've had this problem too, both because my party members, unless specifically told not to decide to go run up the hill to attack them first. Or because there are 10 other warriors there who are splitting the aggro.

Are you actually having trouble with the fight? Or is it just a nuisance that they won't aggro you?
---
0303-9180-7014 - Black - Gale
4383-1144-4610 - Platinum - Mika
#5belsayden777(Topic Creator)Posted 5/10/2012 12:40:31 PM
Yeah. I don't touch the tactics, cause I don't know how to make them any good.

It's not a difficult fight, it's just a little nuance that's bugging me.
They go fight the redcliffe militia and pretty much ignore me when I taunt.
#6ibleedblue93Posted 5/11/2012 9:00:57 AM
Yeah I just recently did this part and the same thing happened to me where no matter what my tank couldn't draw any aggro. However once I finished fighting in Redcliffe it fixed itself I guess because now my tank draws aggro just fine.
---
I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
#1 Kentucky Wildcats 2012 National Champions!
#7belsayden777(Topic Creator)Posted 5/11/2012 12:34:53 PM
Ah, okay.

Anyway, is there anything else I should know to play a better tank?

Is there any good guide on how to set tactics, for tanks, healers etc?
#8eolsunderPosted 5/18/2012 4:57:41 PM
Well the main goal of the tank is to draw aggro and to survive.

So, heavier armor draws foes easier, so of course you want your tank in the heaviest armor you can put them in, so usually warriors or arcane warriors do well in that.

Also some abilities draw in foes, like threaten and taunt, you want those on a warrior. Doing damage to foes draws them in, so using damaging abilities like holy smite (templar), or throwing flasks, or mage spells like fireball, etc draw in aggro.

Usually with a warrior the best you can do is wear heavy armor, use threaten and taunt to your advantage, (threaten should be up at all times), and carry some explosive flasks for when large groups of enemies are about you can blast them and get their attention.
---
I am outraged! I am outraged beyond words! Yet...I have something I want to say..
#9belsayden777(Topic Creator)Posted 5/20/2012 3:25:30 PM
Well, heaviest armour possible and taunt are what I've been doing from the start.

I only recently got threaten, after the battle in Redcliffe I figured maybe it is a halfway decent idea.

What specializations are useful? I already have champion, just unsure of the second.

Something I just thought of two, of the three, which is the best defensive sustained talent. Shield Defense, Shield Cover or Shield Wall?
#10eolsunderPosted 5/20/2012 4:09:20 PM
As a tank? probably templar. Templar gives you a little extra mental defense, plus holy smite is nice as a weak area attack spell that might draw foes attention. The other 2 specializations i think are just more offensive, better used for damage dealers. I would go with champion and Templar for a tank.
---
I am outraged! I am outraged beyond words! Yet...I have something I want to say..