Is the Mage Origin more relevant to Dragon Age II?

#1Philosopher1701Posted 11/19/2012 10:01:17 PM
I haven't played DAII yet, but from the sound of things, it seems possible that the Mage Origin is ultimately more relevant to the story of DAII than the other Origins. If this is accurate, I may attempt a mage playthrough before moving on to DAII.
---
"The cosmos is also within us; we're made of star stuff. We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."
~ Carl Sagan
#2hepkattPosted 11/20/2012 2:39:09 AM
If memory serves...yes but only in some conversations...a Dalish origin was just as relevant...if memory serves...don't take it to court
---
XBL---Shanghai Hepcat
#3MattheauPosted 11/20/2012 3:30:02 AM
No, it isn't. Hawke is the second cousin of the character that is the Warden if you select the Mage origin. Whether or not this character becomes the Warden is entirely irrelevant.

The Human Noble is pretty heavy handedly the default Warden.
#4Super CreaturesPosted 11/20/2012 8:15:01 AM
Mattheau posted...
No, it isn't. Hawke is the second cousin of the character that is the Warden if you select the Mage origin.

Note that this is only true for the Human Mage Origin.

The Elf Mage has no connection to Hawke.
---
R.I.P. Eve English (Feb. 12, 1968 - Oct. 13, 2010)
Momma Eve, you will be missed.
#5UnfairRepresentPosted 11/20/2012 10:46:29 AM
Mattheau posted...
No, it isn't. Hawke is the second cousin of the character that is the Warden if you select the Mage origin. Whether or not this character becomes the Warden is entirely irrelevant.

The Human Noble is pretty heavy handedly the default Warden.

Says who?
---
^ Hey now that's completely unfair!
#6Philosopher1701(Topic Creator)Posted 11/20/2012 10:53:25 AM
Well, direct references are nice, but what about the larger plot? As I understand it, DAII focuses on mages and templars. If that's the case, wouldn't the Mage Origin fit more comfortably into the larger Dragon Age story? After all, the Chantry lore states that the whole darkspawn mess began with some Tevinter magisters...
---
"The cosmos is also within us; we're made of star stuff. We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."
~ Carl Sagan
#7UnfairRepresentPosted 11/20/2012 11:08:27 AM
I haven't played DA2 so forgive me but here's what I don't get about the Templar/Mage thingeymado:

Mages are feared because they can summon demons, become demons and control minds using their blood as a power source? And a long time ago mages cruelly ruled the lands due to this power? Ok.

And now the religion hates mages, but can't kill them outright as the mage population is so large and new mages are constantly being boon. Ok.

But wait, if the mages can control minds why don't they forgo the demons and just mind-control all the Templars and religious people into thinking Mages are awesome?

They wouldn't even have to do very much. Just imagine what would happen if Richard Dawkings mind controlled The Pope and some key priests. It would literally turn Christianity on it's head.
---
^ Hey now that's completely unfair!
#8AigonrothPosted 11/20/2012 12:43:42 PM
UnfairRepresent posted...
I haven't played DA2 so forgive me but here's what I don't get about the Templar/Mage thingeymado:

Mages are feared because they can summon demons, become demons and control minds using their blood as a power source? And a long time ago mages cruelly ruled the lands due to this power? Ok.

And now the religion hates mages, but can't kill them outright as the mage population is so large and new mages are constantly being boon. Ok.

But wait, if the mages can control minds why don't they forgo the demons and just mind-control all the Templars and religious people into thinking Mages are awesome?

They wouldn't even have to do very much. Just imagine what would happen if Richard Dawkings mind controlled The Pope and some key priests. It would literally turn Christianity on it's head.

When a mage is possessed by a demon they become an abomination, not a demon, also not all mages study demonology or blood magic.

The Tevinter Imperium was ruled by Magisters who used (and technically still use) Blood Magic, the Imperium isn't as powerful as it used to be however.

The Chantry doesn't kill all mages because not all mages use blood magic (in fact it is likely a very small minority of mages who even dabble in it), the mage population doesn't really have anything to do with it.

Also the Chantry doesn't necessarily hate all mages, fear the power they wield, sure they think mages should do the same, but not everyone in the Chantry is a mage hater.

Also considering the war with the Qunari that required the help of mages to push the Qunari out, it would be foolish to throw away an asset like that.

Demons are drawn to mages because they wish to try and be on the mortal plane rather than in the Fade, also if a mage is possessed by a demon that mage is basically dead or a prisoner in their own mind, the demon is the one in control, a sane mage wouldn't want to become an abomination (Uldered wasn't sane).

The reason the mages don't mind control everyone is a) different people have different willpowers, someone with a strong personality or a highly disciplined mind could very likely resist the control, also technically there is another branch of the Chantry's military, the Seekers, these are the people who watch over the Templars. We don't even really know that much about this order either.

Also it requires Blood Magic to be able to control the minds of others, again not all mages study blood magic, also the effect likely isn't permanent.

Also on your point about Richard Dawkins, Catholicism isn't the only denomination in Chistianity.
---
"I love nailing Asari, so ageless and superior. Then you get them and they squeal like schoolgirls"- Gianna Parasini, Mass Effect 2.
#9AigonrothPosted 11/20/2012 12:46:15 PM
Philosopher1701 posted...
Well, direct references are nice, but what about the larger plot? As I understand it, DAII focuses on mages and templars. If that's the case, wouldn't the Mage Origin fit more comfortably into the larger Dragon Age story? After all, the Chantry lore states that the whole darkspawn mess began with some Tevinter magisters...

No, the Mage Origin doesn't really fit better than any other Origin, and no the larger plot isn't really changed.
---
"I love nailing Asari, so ageless and superior. Then you get them and they squeal like schoolgirls"- Gianna Parasini, Mass Effect 2.
#10MattheauPosted 11/21/2012 5:06:36 AM
UnfairRepresent posted...
Says who?

Depends what part you mean. The only connection between the Human Mage Warden and the plot of Dragon Age Origin is extremely minor. He was taken away at a young age, which is really the only really unique part of his backstory. Whether or not he becomes the Warden does not impact that at all.

If you are talking about why the Human Noble is pretty obviously the default they wrote the game around. The Human Noble is the default Warden origin in both games, the only origin with a decently resolved story, it is resolved in the main story regardless of origin, Howe is way too prominently used if you are not the Human Noble, several lines of dialogue either directly refer to or imply the Warden is Human regardless of what origin you play, it is the only origin with a story beyond "Duncan randomly shows up and saves the day because his entire life is devoted to skulking in remote areas for no explained reason," and the cover depicts a close representation of the Human Noble depiction (except with a helmet).