Tried to play again need some tips.

#1V_MiesterPosted 11/28/2012 11:51:46 PM
So I already beat the game before as a dual wielding dwarf rouge and it was so fun I couldn't put the game down. Now a year or so later I tried to play again on hard as a 2H elf warrior. And idk what to say it kinda sucked. I can't stand how slow he attacks. Plus I missed a ton of locked chests from the beginning of the game until I got Leilana. Big deal? Probly not but stuff like that bothers me. I actually stopped playing once I got Leilana because I don't want to go any further if I'm just going to re-roll another character. So should I gut it out? Do 2H warriors get better? I haven't died yet not that I'm very far into the game but still.

I want to hear what you guys think of the all the classes.What ones are most fun to you? i've played plenty of rpgs and in games like skyrim i have had a mage, archer and 2H and they were all pretty fun. I may try rouge again but maybe an archer this time or maybe a warrior archer. I'm keeping an open mind but I don't want to play as a dual wielding character again. I'm also a little scared about picking Mage because of friendly fire.

Also could I get some tips for the build you reccomend, I made the mistake of not focusing on willpower thinking it was only for mages( wont make that mistake again). I'm not looking for a full build guide but maybe some of the must have skills and what not.
#2NPUser3000Posted 11/29/2012 12:37:51 PM
Personally I like shield weapon warriors you have good enough defense to stay alive while still able to decent damage berserker and champion seem to be best speclizations in my opinion as for skills or talents most of the sustained ones give a good defense but will lower attack or speed but some of the shield attacks can stun or knock pretty good but then again alot of this game is pefreance
---
Harvest Moon rules!
Is it that hard for you to trust me?
#3AigonrothPosted 11/29/2012 5:45:58 PM
2-Handed Warriors start off slow but they become juggernauts of destruction later on, you just need to get past the initial slump of the class.

2-Handed Warrior: This class is pretty much all about Talent Spamming because of how damn slow its normal attacks are. (which you rightly noticed)

2-Handed Warrior is one of those play styles where you either love it or hate it, personally I love it, a lot of 2-Handed Talents are fun as well.

Thoughts on the play style: Depends on if you are planning on being a 2-handed Tank or not, personally I prefer 2-handed Tank to 2-Handed DPS.

As per the differences between those styles: 2-Handed Tanks basically wear heavy or massive armor and focus on absorbing damage in addition to dishing it out, and you are also likely to be the only Warrior in the party (which actually works to your advantage).

2-Handed DPS characters would more want to wear Light or Medium Armor and maybe a particular set of Heavy Armor, and you would need to either bring along a second Warrior to tank or make one of your Mages an Arcane Warrior to tank, which would mean waiting until level 14 to have an actual tank in your party with this route.

Class Strategies: 2-handed Tank: Personally I recommend Heavy Armor over Massive Armor for a 2-handed Tank mostly because your Talents are still important, and you don't need the giant Fatigue penalty that comes with Massive Armor.

For tanking with this style you are going to have to keep up with your Weapon and Armor, which is fine as you have no shield to worry about.

The Key Talents here are Indomitable (second Talent in the Pommel Strike Tree {which is Pommel Strike > Indomitable > Stunning Blows > Critical Strike}) and Taunt and Threaten again.

Indomitable is a fantastic sustained ability it makes the Warrior Immune to Stun and Knockdown Attacks while it is active, Sword and Shield Warriors can become immune to Knockdowns as well but they have to wait until level 12 for that particular ability.

You can have Indomitable from the start of the game with the correct distribution of stats in the character creator, and you can have all of those talents by level 6 just like a Sword and Shield Warrior has their key Starting talents by then.

For Specializations: Champion and Templar again are the best tanking Specializations, though you could throw Berserker into the mix if you want to be able to do more damage. (Note: If you want to use Berserker I recommend making Champion the other Specialization.)

I personally would say go Berserker plus Champion, Templar while useful has more limited application because of the slow ass attack speed of 2-Handers.

Stat Distribution: Pure Strength, none of your necessary Talents require Dexterity and Willpower and Constitution are pointless.
---
"I love nailing Asari, so ageless and superior. Then you get them and they squeal like schoolgirls"- Gianna Parasini, Mass Effect 2.
#4AigonrothPosted 11/29/2012 5:46:41 PM
2-Handed DPS: Keep up with your Weapon and Armor, you need to be able to kill things quickly and you are going to generate a lot of threat so keeping up with your armor will help keep you alive.

I would recommend Light Armor here as there are fairly decent Light Armor options where as there is basically one good set of Medium Armor.

Your key early game Talents are Mighty Blow, Sunder Arms, Pommel Strike, and Indomitable, since you aren't a Tank here you don't need Threaten and Taunt.

Specializations: Technically for Pure DPS you would want Berserker and Reaver, but I hate Reaver so I say go Berserker and Champion.

Stat Distribution: Pure Strength, and maybe 18 Dexterity if you want Disengage (which lets your character shred Threat so enemies will go seek other Targets).

One last general tip: As you have noticed and I have stated 2-handed Warriors have a slow ass Attack speed, this very often can discourage people from playing this class.

There is a very simple way to help alleviate this issue, Morrigan and Wynne, Mages have a spell called Haste (in the Creation School Heroic Offense tree) which increases all melee characters' attack speed, and you can stack 2 Hastes for an increase of 50% in attack speed, that does wonders for speeding up 2-Handed Warriors.

---

if you want to read more about other play styles check this topic.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/950918-dragon-age-origins/64585155

Also if you are still disheartened by 2-Handed Warrior you might want to look at Dual-Wielding Warrior or Weapon and Shield Warrior.

Lemme know if you want details on either play style.

As per your concerns on Mages and Friendly Fire, you have a few options really.

1) Play an Arcane Warrior and just use your weapons and a few supplementary spells and you don't have to worry about killing your party.

2) Play as a Healer/Support Mage (BORING).

3) Pick spells that don't cause friendly fire (there are plenty that don't), you can still be a highly effective killing machine without things like Inferno or Fireball.
---
"I love nailing Asari, so ageless and superior. Then you get them and they squeal like schoolgirls"- Gianna Parasini, Mass Effect 2.
#5V_Miester(Topic Creator)Posted 11/29/2012 7:17:00 PM
Aigonroth you are awesome I read some other topics and you kept popping up with awesome details on each class. I was honestly just waiting for you to post on this lol. I guess I'm just going to try and gut out this 2H warrior for the time being. He is kind of a beast right now with mighty blow followed by sunder arms, and if that doesn't kill them stunning and letting another party member attack will.

I did have one question about mages, is making a pure entropy Mage worth it? I figure I'd take arcane bolt and either fire or ice and the weapon enchant that come after it and pump the rest into entropy. Haven't really thought it through that much but did consider it. Fire/ice weapon plus vulnerability hex plus some arcane bolts seems like it would be unstoppable not to mention all the incapacitating entropy comes with.
#6AigonrothPosted 11/29/2012 9:07:31 PM
V_Miester posted...
Aigonroth you are awesome I read some other topics and you kept popping up with awesome details on each class. I was honestly just waiting for you to post on this lol. I guess I'm just going to try and gut out this 2H warrior for the time being. He is kind of a beast right now with mighty blow followed by sunder arms, and if that doesn't kill them stunning and letting another party member attack will.

I did have one question about mages, is making a pure entropy Mage worth it? I figure I'd take arcane bolt and either fire or ice and the weapon enchant that come after it and pump the rest into entropy. Haven't really thought it through that much but did consider it. Fire/ice weapon plus vulnerability hex plus some arcane bolts seems like it would be unstoppable not to mention all the incapacitating entropy comes with.

So it sounds like you already kind of enjoy the 2-Handed Style, it is much better when you actually engage with your talents, also when you get Dual Haste running the attack speed thing is no longer a problem, and you can get that set-up running by pretty much level 10 or 11 (were I you I would make Morrigan go right for Haste).

Sure your auto-attack isn't as fast as any other style put under the effects of double Haste but you no longer swing like a drunken ox.

As per a pure Entropy Mage being worth it, yeah actually it would be fine, your main focus is debuffing rather than damage dealing but Entropy has plenty of great spells in it and they can seriously screw up your enemies.

Also the only friendly fire spell in the entire school is Death Cloud.

As per the elemental trees, I would say grab Winter's Grasp and Frost Weapons, this gives you a decent secondary attack spell (Winter's Grasp has a very short cooldown and deals far more damage than Arcane Bolt).

You might also want to consider getting Lightning with such a character as it is another very short cooldown spell and it also deals decent damage.

Having things like Death Hex and Mass Paralysis is a huge boon to the party.
---
#7V_Miester(Topic Creator)Posted 11/30/2012 10:58:53 AM
One more concern I had about my 2H I forgot to mention, he seems to be missing alot of attacks, is this normal? I started using precision striking and that seemed to fix it but stopped to use indominable and the missing started again. Is there a stat or ability I am neglecting that will fix this?
#8AigonrothPosted 11/30/2012 1:59:10 PM(edited)
That sounds like an Attack stat issue, you raise a 2-Handers attack stat by increasing Strength.

Also the sustainable Powerful Swings incurs a penalty to attack, are you running that per chance?

Indomitable doesn't have an attack penalty, if you are using Powerful Swings belay doing so until you get higher in level or you can Wynne/Morrigan cast Heroic Offense on you and that should greatly help with your ability to hit.

Or per chance do you have a Haste running as Haste also incurs a penalty to attack (-5 for a Single Haste, -10 for 2 Hastes) So that may also be part of your problem.

Heroic Offense, Precise Striking, and later on Rally are all easy ways to overcome this penalty.

Also in case you are wondering where to find Heroic Offense it is the first spell in Haste's Spell Line.
---
#9NPUser3000Posted 11/30/2012 10:42:41 PM
Wait if he is missing attacks would that not be a dex issue since that affects your accuracy or am I mistaken
---
Harvest Moon rules!
Is it that hard for you to trust me?
#10widget624Posted 12/1/2012 12:56:38 AM(edited)
Wait if he is missing attacks would that not be a dex issue since that affects your accuracy or am I mistaken

Strength and Dex both increase attack equally. Raising strength would also increase damage (obviously) which is much more useful to a 2h warrior then the additional defense that increasing dex would provide on top of the attack increase.