Mage help

#1DarthKonaPosted 12/3/2012 7:28:32 AM
I'm coming back to DA:O after a long break and I'm starting my first Mage character. I could use some advice on type of spells I should get early on and how I should spend stat points. Should I put all in to magic and will or should I put a few into the others. And any general advice about the game would be appreciated as well, I have forgotten a lot about the game. Some of the strategies I used for the other characters in the game are coming back as I go along but I could use some help to move along more quickly.
---
Remember duck tape takes over where skill leaves off
#2NPUser3000Posted 12/3/2012 9:09:40 AM
I haven't played mage myself but from leveling up companion mages I might be able to help about ever level I put one in magic one in will power and one in conditution I also try to level combat mastery pretty quickly to avoid interrupts. Hope this helps a little
---
Harvest Moon rules!
Is it that hard for you to trust me?
#3ShinDarklighterPosted 12/3/2012 9:12:30 AM
Go all magic and go for mana clash as soon as possible.
---
"Like Ben Franklin said, bub... only two things certain in life.... an' this ain't taxes. SNIKT!" Wolverine
#4some09guy IIPosted 12/3/2012 1:02:17 PM(edited)
Heal and Cone of Cold are pretty basic necessities for the early going. Outside that, it all depends where you want to specialize the character. There are quite a few legitimate paths a mage can take. Just don't spread yourself thin. Better to know what you want and go for it than to dabble in a dozen different paths which don't support one another. And don't bother putting anything into an attribute aside from Magic and Willpower, and much moreso Magic than Willpower (I'd say roughly 3:1 is a good ratio here).
#5Super CreaturesPosted 12/3/2012 1:27:34 PM
some09guy II posted...
And don't bother putting anything into an attribute aside from Magic

Got it right with that, no need for the and willpower part.

There is enough +mana and +mana regen gear in the game, not to mention how cheap lyrium potions are, so that you don't have to worry about the measly bit of mana you get from willpower (it takes more than 2 levels of investing in nothing but willpower to get enough mana to cast basic spells like heal one additional time, without factoring in fatigue).
---
R.I.P. Eve English (Feb. 12, 1968 - Oct. 13, 2010)
Momma Eve, you will be missed.
#6M_InfernumPosted 12/6/2012 2:23:56 PM
Spell Might is an excellent option no matter what type of mage you decide on. Once you decide on what type of mage you want to be, it becomes easier to pick spells.

If you want to be a support type, and let your allies do most of the damage, you could either be a healer(although Wynne does this well already), or focus more on spells like Misdirection Hex, Death Hex, Mass Paralysis. Sleep coupled with Horror or Waking Nightmare could be fun too.

Or you could go full-on Nuke Mage, and focus on being a damage dealer. Blood Mage is good for this, or so I hear. I haven't personally made a Blood Mage yet.

I've personally been toying with the idea of a Necromancer-esque mage.
---
My artwork: http://m-infernum.deviantart.com/
#7lenmuttPosted 12/7/2012 11:32:49 AM
Shapeshifting is great too!

shut your face and read please :D

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/66/index/739982/1

very well detailed and well just read it!
#8PyreofKoLPosted 12/9/2012 9:58:06 PM
Mage was the first class I ever played when I picked up this game late this summer. It's a powerful class, but like any mage class it takes a little while to get there. How you spend your points and what spells you get depend entirely on your play style. If you're aggressive, then get the Battle Mage specialization and go for spells that immobilize or knock down enemies and put points into Con and Strength. If you wanna be the traditional glass cannon, focus on the elemental spells and your core mage abilities. The only specialization I'd advise that you avoid is the morpher. The animal forms just aren't that great. I've no idea about the Blood Mage, though. I never used that one myself. Also, make sure you have a good tank in your party. I'd recommend Shale the golem from the DLC. It's a bit expensive but definitely worth it.
#9lenmuttPosted 12/9/2012 10:37:14 PM
PyreofKoL posted...
Mage was the first class I ever played when I picked up this game late this summer. It's a powerful class, but like any mage class it takes a little while to get there. How you spend your points and what spells you get depend entirely on your play style. If you're aggressive, then get the Battle Mage specialization and go for spells that immobilize or knock down enemies and put points into Con and Strength. If you wanna be the traditional glass cannon, focus on the elemental spells and your core mage abilities. The only specialization I'd advise that you avoid is the morpher. The animal forms just aren't that great.I've no idea about the Blood Mage, though. I never used that one myself. Also, make sure you have a good tank in your party. I'd recommend Shale the golem from the DLC. It's a bit expensive but definitely worth it.

Someone doesn't know how to play a shifter ^_^ big bosses can't grab ya huge physical resistance and with staff equipped you never miss mauling bosses like howe or logain. just remember if your playing on nightmare you will need a healer!

Also with such high strength you can wears some pretty good/cool armors and with the high magic you get good spells that you don't even need xD

and blood mage compliments any of the other specializations well as long as your not using it all willy nilly it is BLOOD magic after all haha. Also just so ya know TC any items that say "improve blood magic" do not stack unfortunately.

also BloodShifter is a great combination shifter healer is second best arcane shifter simply will just work against your shift abilities and shifting will cancel your self buffs
#10AigonrothPosted 12/10/2012 1:33:05 PM
Actually lenmutt, the reason that a shapeshifter cannot be grabbed by things like an Ogre or a Dragon or be Overwhelmed is for the same reason as why Dog can't, those abilities don't work on things with that shape.

Your character could have 0 Physical Resistance and shape shift into the Spider and be immune to those abilities.

Those abilities ignore Physical Resistance.

Also I have to say, compared with the other means of being a melee fighter in the game Shapeshifter is fairly lackluster.
---
"I love nailing Asari, so ageless and superior. Then you get them and they squeal like schoolgirls"- Gianna Parasini, Mass Effect 2.