Tips for Beating Lucia

#1sap226Posted 8/7/2009 8:50:44 AM
Ok, so after several nights of trying, hundreds of curse words, some couch-kicking, and endless complaining, I finally beat Lucia last night. I wanted to pass along my observations and discoveries to help out anyone currently thinking about throwing their Wii through the living room wall because of this chick.

Please note that just because these strategies worked for me, they may not work for you. There is no one solution for defeating Lucia, you just have to stick with it and hang in there. If I hadn't spent so many matches losing 6-0 to her, I wouldn't have been able to lose 6-3 to her, so while you're being spanked, take solace in the fact that she's helping you get good enough to beat her and all your friends. Here are the tips:

1) Play an 11-point match.

I could not beat Lucia in a standard 6-point match, never even got match point against her, but the first time I tried the 11-point match, I raced out to an 8-1 lead on her. Granted, I eventually lost that match (epic choke), but two tries later I beat her and it was in 11-point mode. The speed of the game increases in the 11-point format, and for whatever reason, this benefited me and my quick, aggressive shots, so it might benefit you. Just a thought.

2) Be ready to hit a forehand. Always.

Lucia loves hitting cross-court to your forehand, especially when you least expect it, and for so many matches, I just wasn't prepared for it and couldn't handle it. Here's my tip: unless you are 100% positive you are going to get a backhand, get your forehand ready right after you hit the ball, just have the paddle ready. It will help.

3) Hit everything with topspin. Slice is just a waste of your time.

4) Hit the ball early.

Unless you're far back off the table and have to wait for the ball to come to you, hit that sucker as soon as it bounces on your side, especially if you have a chance to rip one cross-court and put her out of position. No good will come from waiting until the ball is on you. You have to be the aggressor here, and get her off the table and out of position, so you can hit smash after smash until she can't return it anymore.

5) Turn defense into offense.

This is probably my most useful tip. It's true that once Lucia has you way back off the table, hitting monster spin to you, you're pretty much done. However, if in the course of a regular rally, you hit a weak "yellow smash-inducing" shot to her, you are not out of the point. Based on where you hit your weak shot, and your/her location on the table, you can pretty much guess where she's going to smash the ball. Have your paddle ready and immediately swing with topspin right after she smashes the ball. You will most likely hit a regular or a very hard shot back to her, and this will put you right back in the point, and in some cases, on the offensive if she hits a weak shot back. Returning her smashes consistently was KEY in me staying in points, winning them, and eventually beating her. Of course, there will be many occasions, when you're so far off the table to the side that you won't be able to get your paddle on her smashes, but for all other occasions, this will work.
#2weisguy119Posted 8/7/2009 8:53:56 AM

When Lucia (or anyone)has you way back off the end of the table, backspin is your best friend.

#3LedRush2112Posted 8/7/2009 9:05:55 AM
How do you deliberately hit a lob?
---
GT: LedRush2112 WiiCode: 3049 9710 8021 2291 PSN: LedRush
Quicktojudge Quicktoanger Slow to understand Ignorance & prejudice & fear walk hand in hand
#4LedRush2112Posted 8/9/2009 9:52:15 PM
any tips for serving?
---
Quicktojudge Quicktoanger Slow to understand Ignorance & prejudice & fear walk hand in hand
#5KaiserKanePosted 8/9/2009 10:06:46 PM
Lucia wasn't really that hard as everyone says. Mind you, still diffiucult.

I found it easy by hitting it as wide as I could, forcing eroors on her.
---
My Conduit Friend Code: 0002-1573-0277
Cousin's Conduit Friend Code: 3137-4843-2314
#6LedRush2112Posted 8/10/2009 11:05:54 AM
any tips on serving?
---
#7super_gary_64Posted 8/10/2009 2:19:19 PM
serving doesn't seem to have too many varieties. i hit the ball just as it is about to hit my hand and it seems to go a bit faster.
---
I'll go now