What kind of view

#1VerySadPandaPosted 7/15/2008 3:26:56 PM
Do you think this game will have? To avoid lag I believe it might be over the top view. A bit like an RTS but you control the one player.
#2Infinite-Zr0Posted 7/15/2008 3:54:08 PM
Wow, you sound like you're a grade A devloper with your expertise
#3VerySadPanda(Topic Creator)Posted 7/15/2008 3:55:43 PM
You sound like a tool and an ass. It's not exactly a stupid guess, it's very possible.
#4Des_Shark001Posted 7/15/2008 4:34:05 PM
It will most likely be third person over the shoulder. What does lag have to do with camera view?
#5VerySadPanda(Topic Creator)Posted 7/15/2008 4:37:08 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#6VerySadPanda(Topic Creator)Posted 7/15/2008 4:38:09 PM
Have you ever played RTS? You can have a lot of characters on at the screen at the same time, this applies to VS multiplayer matches. It's able to do this without much lag because an overhead view is not as graphicaly intensive as say 3rd person or first.

Thoses camera views might make the game too choppy with so many people on the screen. It really depends on how they implement the multiplayer. I can see them doing third or first if they implement squads.
#7KougaijiPosted 7/15/2008 4:42:19 PM
View sometimes has a lot to do with lag (FPS) which I think the TC was referring to. In some PC games (not sure about console games but I'm sure it applies to that as well) like Half-life 2, when you look one direction you could get like 60 fps, then look directly into the sky and you could get like 130 or some odd number. I'm not sure why it's like that, but maybe because your cpu/gpu whatever has to render all the **** in front of you.

In this game, since there's going to be 256 players, it'll have to load all those people and buildings and such when you look in a certain direction.
#8VerySadPanda(Topic Creator)Posted 7/15/2008 4:43:43 PM
^Exactly. This is why my guess is overhead view. I'd be thrilled if it's first or third but I'm not so sure.
#9Infinite-Zr0Posted 7/15/2008 4:45:21 PM

You do realise the only thing the camera would affect would be graphical lag. And having 100s of people on the screen at once is not an impossible thing. The reason you normally don't see 100s of people, is because it would normally involve npcs which need ai. The ai would be what would suck out all of the horsepower.
When you have people controlling each said person, all you have to do is tweak the graphics so that you don't overload the graphics.

Also they are most likley going to be making these maps huge, thus you won't be having all 256 people in the same spot at the same time.

Just like with standard MMOs, you have thousands of people on a server, but you don't see 500 people in the same area

#10VerySadPanda(Topic Creator)Posted 7/15/2008 4:46:56 PM
Perhaps but then I don't see the point of having so many players.