Having so much fun on MAG.

#1ajlee1Posted 8/10/2012 10:28:28 AM
I bought this thing on PSN a few nights ago on a complete whim. Yes, I paid $30 for something that could be had in a bargain bin at Walmart for $5. I don't regret it because this game would have been worth it at $60.

My multiplayer FPS experiences are old school. They go back to Wolfenstein, Doom, Quake, CS 1.6, America's Army, COD2, to Team Fortress 2. All these were on the PC. This was basically my first foray into a multiplayer console FPS in over a decade. Why? Because I couldn't stand using the Dual Shock controller for FPS's after having experienced keyboard+mouse nirvana since FPS's were invented by the good folks at Id, 3d Realms, and Valve. It is the MOVE support in MAG 2.12 that made things acceptable to me.

I am having a blast with the Move's mouse-like controls. I don't care about badges, XP, modding guns, persistent characters, factions, shadow war contracts, getting platinum, or whatever doodads game companies put in-game to make people feel special these days. All I care about is the rush of the moment and whether I feel like I can control my fate. Even with Tier 1 gear, you can own people if you play smart, keep moving, and control your fire. It's fast paced, anyone can own anyone else depending on skill, and there are no safe camping spots. This is very similar to the kind of old school gameplay that I loved in college. The only fundamental difference is the constant respawning that has come into vogue since Day of Defeat, which carried on into MOH, COD,and BF and MAG. I hear even Socom has the respawn feature in its latest iteration to keep up with this trend. Although I love the tension created with the 1-life-per-round mechanic, in hindsight, I think respawn is necessary the larger you go in player count and map size. Otherwise, you could end up sitting out an entire 20 minute round.

This game is perfect for busy people like me. Other than the time spent queuing up for a round, there is no wasted time. You're not humping across huge maps to find an enemy only to die by a random grenade. You're not so fragile that you're being one-shotted from across the map (most of the time). When you die, it's pretty much fair. You could have lived if you saw the enemy and shot first. Shame on me for not watching my six. If my equipment was bad for the situation, then I should have recognized that and compensated. That's the way it should be. Opportunity and skill should rule, not equipment and skill points. Even as a level 5 going up against level 50s, I never felt like the outcome was not in my control. Zipper did a good job of balancing the weapons to prevent any loadout from dominating.

There are very few handholding mechanisms. You can't passively regain health by crouching behind cover. You have to consciously heal yourself. Cover itself is not impermeable. You don't know where enemies are unless someone has a direct line of sight (this is a very natural way of doing fog of war). No auto-aiming, other than very minor target locking. I had to practice to aim well with the Move wand. You're not shown where your killer is located when you die, leaving you to figure out what went wrong. Your sprinting distance is limited. Your aiming goes to crap when running. There is a random bullet spread to prevent people from sniping with a pistol across the map. I saw footage of pre-1.03 gameplay without the spread. THAT was broken. Even Counterstrike developers in 1999 recognized the need for random spread depending on the gun. The game just feels challenging, which is good.

I haven't even experienced the larger domination mode. I'm still on the first 2 modes. Excited to see how the macro game enriches the experience.

I've read a few forums on this game and am disappointed to see people pan it. Man, what ungrateful whiners this generation of gamers has become. Obviously, people have gamed themselves out so much that moments no longer feel fresh to them. I feel sorry for them because MAG is truly a keeper.
#2StrikeNinja24Posted 8/10/2012 3:20:46 PM
Yeah, this has to be a parody.
---
Xbox & PS3 gametag = StrikeNinja24
And if Strike didn't stroke his own peen, then nobody would. - Super-Pangolin
#3darthsniderPosted 8/11/2012 1:40:15 AM
lol
---
[PHI] Darth_Snider
http://prohicimmortalis.com/ - http://riseoflegion.com/
#4ShaneJPosted 8/11/2012 10:14:55 PM
This is real? THIS is a thing? Seriously? This text barrage actually exists? On the internet?
---
3DS: WingZero 4339-3574-6803
PSN/Gamertag: WingZeroKai
#5ajlee1(Topic Creator)Posted 8/13/2012 7:48:50 AM
Sorry you guys think differently and I apologize for the text wall. But my guts needed some expressing on how much fun I've been having this past week. Granted, I could agree with whatever arguments that this game is unbalanced, not well-thought out, or a noob fest. But, as a noob myself, it's quite entertaining for me and my purposes. So if anyone is reading this thread to see if MAG is worth the $5-$10 in the bargain bin, I would say a resounding YES, especially if you have the Move.

The SVER shotgun and the Move is quite a powerful combination. Wow.
#6ShaneJPosted 8/13/2012 8:26:31 AM
That explains it. If you were a noob on Raven or Valor, I'm almost positive you'd feel differently about the game.
---
3DS: WingZero 4339-3574-6803
PSN/Gamertag: WingZeroKai
#7StrikeNinja24Posted 8/13/2012 11:37:10 AM
ShaneJ posted...
That explains it. If you were a noob on Raven or Valor, I'm almost positive you'd feel differently about the game.

This one hundred times over. Try a new character on Raven and see how far you get.
---
#8ajlee1(Topic Creator)Posted 8/13/2012 12:12:53 PM
Why would I join Raven or Valor if I'm having so much fun on SVER? :)

But in all honesty, once I get to know the game and hone my skills, I think I'll re-roll a Raven or Valor to experience a different kind of fun. The fun of steamrolling SVER with Raven/Valor. :)
#9StrikeNinja24Posted 8/13/2012 12:49:03 PM
ajlee1 posted...
Why would I join Raven or Valor if I'm having so much fun on SVER? :)

But in all honesty, once I get to know the game and hone my skills, I think I'll re-roll a Raven or Valor to experience a different kind of fun. The fun of steamrolling SVER with Raven/Valor. :)

Man no wonder why this game died out so quickly. You cant trust gamers to understand the concept of game balance and actually challenge themselves.

You are currently being carried by everyone that transferred to SVER, who has the best weapons and most clan support. You havent even played the other modes, and think that you are the end all opinion over people who have been here since the beta. Everything youve said is an borderline insult to someone who actually put their time in the game and knows what they are talking about, and while youre welcome to your opinion, to call out those who put your playtime to absolute shame only makes your OP into a bigger joke than it originally was.

Im going to make a bold statement and say youll quit before you make one full tour with both Raven and Valor to max level. And will hate it.

Hell you probably wont get past one of them.
---
#10midgarPosted 8/13/2012 1:23:35 PM
I rolled Valor and Raven both to 70, it wasn't ever that bad. Never touched SVER, and cherished every kill against them. Fu***** low rent militia. :p
---
"The key to happiness is disinterest mingled with mild contempt."
Better living through apathy. If you're into that sort of thing.