Survivor difficulty

#1thatsmrhamPosted 4/5/2012 6:54:43 PM
Has anyone done a run on normal and then a run on Survivor? Is it much more difficult than normal, or is it just fewer resources and no retries? Gonna download it tonight after work and I'm thinking of just jumping straight into survivor. Thanks for any input!
#2gametypeplayer(Moderator)Posted 4/5/2012 11:54:13 PM
I've played a little of both, but haven't beaten the game yet.

You do get retries in survivor, but you have to earn them. The game doesn't give you them for simply progressing.
I didn't notice a difference in the supplies they give you, but I did notice combat is a bit tougher.

I'd say play on normal until you get good, otherwise you're just going to repeat large sections due to lack of retries.
---
*pretentious self deprecating meta joke*
#3SunricerPosted 4/6/2012 7:39:12 AM
There isn't much of a difference, there are a bit less resources in Survivor, but the difference is not much, 2 or 3 less items.
I can't say anything about combat as it felt the same to me, there won't be more enemies or anything like that.

The difference felt minimal to me at least. I played Normal first, then Survivor. You won't notice the difference if you skip normal and start on Survivor. Only big difference is that you won't start with 3 retries and you don't get new ones as you progress. You can only gain more by helping other people or finding some. If you don't have any retries, you start at the last save, instead of checkpoint. Though I only died from falling off a roof due to low stamina once.
#4liubeiadvancePosted 4/6/2012 5:02:31 PM
I played about 3 chapters of Survivor, thought it was too difficult so I switched to Normal to see if there was a difference.

Turns out the only difference is in combat, where if you get in a struggle with a guy his friends can't harm you, even though you see them swinging their blades through your body. Which makes combat a lot easier but too unrealistic for my tastes.
Everything else remains unchanged.

I then restarted my playthrough on survivor again, this time was alittle easier than before because I learned from my mistakes. Now I'm on chapter 4
#5AJ2412Posted 4/6/2012 5:34:42 PM
What makes this game so difficult? Is it the combat? Or the climbing, or what?
---
"The people who hate on Vuvuzela's are the ones who cant play them." -EvilmetalUK
http://i.imgur.com/7iLBp.png By QTx314159 .
#6liubeiadvancePosted 4/6/2012 6:05:39 PM
The difficulty is in how the game punishes you.
Your stamina bar gets depleted for almost every action you do besides walking. The climbing portions of the game are all specifically designed to stress your stamina gauge out, so careful planning has to be made before you attempt a climb.
If your stamina gauge runs out, you'll then have to repeatedly tap R1 to keep your stamina capacity from going down. If you manage to survive that, then your stamina capacity will stay at the level you've allowed it to go down to, which if you don't have healing items for, it will reduce your climbing ability by a lot.

Essentially, you have to die in order to learn from your mistakes, because on your first playthrough there is no way for you to know how strenuous the next climb will be.
But the way they designed the retry feature when you die, is too demanding on the player.
You only get a limited number of retries that you can refill by finding it throughout the level or by helping strangers.

You can restart the level, and preserve your retries that way, but that would mean going back to the very beginning of the level and spending another 15 minutes to get back to where you were before.

I just find this type of game design to be too archaic. It's a very cheap way of extending the play time of the game. It also doesn't make the player feel rewarded.
#7AJ2412Posted 4/6/2012 6:12:17 PM

I just find this type of game design to be too archaic. It's a very cheap way of extending the play time of the game. It also doesn't make the player feel rewarded.

I don't know. My first playthrough was Survivor difficulty, and I really didn't have much trouble. Never ran out of Retries.

And what's wrong with limited number of retries? I like that. More games needs to have lives nowadays. It actually punishes the player, which I like. And levels are even that long, so starting the level over is not even that big of a punishment. And you get PLENTY of stamina restore items, so that shouldn't be a problem.
---
"The people who hate on Vuvuzela's are the ones who cant play them." -EvilmetalUK
#8liubeiadvancePosted 4/6/2012 10:01:01 PM
I guess that's just where you and I differ. I'm not much for repeating missions in video games, unless it's really fun and you can get to play in a variety of different ways.

I have a feeling that this gameplay design was more based on it's low budget rather than an artistic choice. I can't help but imagine just how good the game would have been if it were still in production as a full game.
#9AJ2412Posted 4/6/2012 10:05:55 PM
Eh. I like it when developers punishes players for screwing up. Whatever happened to lives in games anyway? I don't think I can really think of any current gen games that has lives. Besides Rayman, Sonic and I Am Alive.
---
#10Naked ApePosted 4/8/2012 4:07:28 AM
liubeiadvance posted...
[...] if you get in a struggle with a guy his friends can't harm you, even though you see them swinging their blades through your body. Which makes combat a lot easier but too unrealistic for my tastes.[...]

Dude, that's not true. I think you ran into some sort of glitch or then you're imagining things (or then I am, weee... can anybody confirm?). I just did a run on normal difficulty and I got dropped a couple times by going into struggle lock and then another dude comes in and cuts my face with a machete.
---
Where else is nudity at a premium? The other primates are of no help...
~CoZO~ The Others ~ No Cry For Odessa
More topics from this board...
title screen themegreen_abobo14/18 10:32PM