I keep getting an "Installation failed!" error.

#1Pepys MonsterPosted 12/24/2011 2:48:33 PM
This is really frustrating because I bought the discs so I wouldn't have to wait for it to download. It gets to 36.2% and gets stuck, then fails. I'm running Windows 7 and have 290 gigabytes of free space.
---
Re-open LUE:
The livejournal invasion happened nearly a decade ago.
#2guinness4lifePosted 12/24/2011 2:49:16 PM
did you check to see if they're scratched?
#3Pepys Monster(Topic Creator)Posted 12/24/2011 2:50:33 PM
guinness4life posted...
did you check to see if they're scratched?

The disc doesn't look scratched to me.
---
Re-open LUE:
#4Pepys Monster(Topic Creator)Posted 12/24/2011 3:15:02 PM
I tried installing it in safe mode and it still failed.
---
Re-open LUE:
#5Pepys Monster(Topic Creator)Posted 12/24/2011 3:32:08 PM
Can I download it with my registration code or am I stuck with discs that don't work?
---
Re-open LUE:
#6Ace_DragoonPosted 12/24/2011 3:42:47 PM
I had same problem. It's most likely sorry discs from the factory. Yes you can DL and install that way but sheesh. It's best you manually install/unzip what is readable. 25GB if you start from scratch. OR you can go back to store and try your luck with another copy.. Your call.
#7ttalkerPosted 12/27/2011 11:41:11 PM
fresh install.
download winrar
make a new folder in C:/Program Files/Electronic Arts/BioWare/Star Wars/The Old Republic

then make a new folder on your desktop. put in the dvd, DO NOT HIT INSTALL. open the dvd folder. highlight all the .rar files in the folder and drag and drop them into the new desktop folder.
(i would advise you do this around 5 files at a time) do this with all 3 dvd's.

if you get the "cant copy file from dvd to desktop" or file corrupt, cant open file, damaged file ect ect. skip over it. its not a big deal.
i had 5 files be "corrupt"

after you get all the files from the dvd on your computer(besides the "corrupt" ones) open the folder you stored them in on your desktop. highlight all the .rar files and extract them to the default directory. (C:/Program Files/Electronic Arts/BioWare/Star Wars/The Old Republic)
(do this 10 at a time or so)

after they are extracted open the launcher from the default directory. it will download anything you dont have then patch itself. all the setup.exe is, is a program to unzip files to a certain location. winrar lets you do this without screwing you completely if 1 file in the chain is broken (for the most part :D)

odd note: 2 "corrupt" files of mine magically fixed themselves when i exited firefox. 2 others fixed themselves when i restarted the computer. and the last one fixed it self while i was watching a movie. (when i say fixed i mean the files went from not copying over from dvd to desktop due to corruption to copying over/extracting perfect.)