Sith Sorcerer or Sith Assassin Issue Help

#1BabyFaceJuanPosted 3/1/2012 12:58:50 PM
I am at level 10 and am stuck on which path to choose. I did research and hasn't helped much. I am looking to the opinions of other who are more versed in the class.

First can you explain the pros and cons of each?

Second, my questions are:

Who can solo much easier as far as elites and 2+ heroics with out the dependency of groups?

Who is sought more in groups or raids?

Which has more survivability and I dont mean because one is a tank or one is a healer but because in the end if they faced each other.... well you know.

Third, I hear Sorcerers are like the Mage/Hunters of Wow because of the companion being the pet and the Sorcerer being a caster. Is there any truth?

I heard Assassins are like Wow Rogues with the 150% armor debuff...

My main question overall is to be able to solo thru level 50 most quests including 2+ heroics without having to look for groups all the time since LFG i sbroken.
#2BrokenCrabPosted 3/1/2012 1:15:31 PM
BabyFaceJuan posted...
I am at level 10 and am stuck on which path to choose. I did research and hasn't helped much. I am looking to the opinions of other who are more versed in the class.

First can you explain the pros and cons of each?

Sorcerer:

Pros:
Long Ranged
Healer

Cons:
At least 20 sorcerers for every 1 assassin
Sucks at short range

Assassin:

Pros:
Short range fighter
Tank
Stealth

Cons:
Weak armor if not in tank spec

Second, my questions are:

Who can solo much easier as far as elites and 2+ heroics with out the dependency of groups?

Both classes can. Khem Val or Apprentice tank is win mode.

Who is sought more in groups or raids?

There are a ton of sorc healers and DPS. I think I ran across one assassin tank while leveling.

Which has more survivability and I dont mean because one is a tank or one is a healer but because in the end if they faced each other.... well you know.

Both. Madness spec the path to victory if you're looking at survivability.

Third, I hear Sorcerers are like the Mage/Hunters of Wow because of the companion being the pet and the Sorcerer being a caster. Is there any truth?

Yes.

I heard Assassins are like Wow Rogues with the 150% armor debuff...

Assassins can get a 150% armor buff with dark charge on their sabers. But basically rogues / blood dk tank / enhancement shaman, depending on the spec.

My main question overall is to be able to solo thru level 50 most quests including 2+ heroics without having to look for groups all the time since LFG i sbroken.

Any class can.
#3SeraphOfAwesomePosted 3/1/2012 1:19:15 PM
I'm skipping the "Pros and Cons" part because your points cover most of them. In short, do you want a melee stealth tank, or a ranged dps/healer?

Solo Group Quests: Sorc can solo group quests easier, because heal-specced Sorcs can keep their companion up through nearly anything, whereas a healer companion doesn't put out enough heals to keep an Assassin Tank up in many fights.

Most sought after in groups or raids: Probably Assassin, because there are SO many Sorcs. However, there are a lot of Assassins as well, I wouldn't say either is exactly rare or sought after.

Survivability: Sorc probably (sadly) has more survivability because you can bubble and heal through nearly anything, and heals mean they have to deplete your life bar like 20 times to actually kill you. Contrast to a tank where your life is slow to deplete, but doesn't get refilled.

Like Hunters: No, I played a Hunter to 85 in WoW (boring) and don't feel it was anything like playing a Sorc. All classes get companions, and they don't really feel like pets to me. The hunter was balanced to be weak without a pet, but no class in SW is pet-dependent.

Like Rogues: One Assassin spec, Deception, is somewhat Roguelike, but I really think the similarity ends at the reduced armor Maul hits. Even in deception an Assassin feels more like a Shaman than a Rogue to me, but its different from either.

Either class can easily get to 50 without depending on groups, just be smart and get your companions some decent gear, and in hard battles run with a tank if you're Sorc and your healer if you're an Assassin.
#4maxpowr3Posted 3/1/2012 1:42:14 PM

I'm skipping the "Pros and Cons" part because your points cover most of them. In short, do you want a melee stealth tank, or a ranged dps/healer?

Solo Group Quests: Sorc can solo group quests easier, because heal-specced Sorcs can keep their companion up through nearly anything, whereas a healer companion doesn't put out enough heals to keep an Assassin Tank up in many fights. .

I would say Sorc DPS has it best as they still have the heals but can pew pew also.

Most sought after in groups or raids: Probably Assassin, because there are SO many Sorcs. However, there are a lot of Assassins as well, I wouldn't say either is exactly rare or sought after. .

I personally feel: Assassin tank > sorc healer > sorc dps >>> assassin dps. It isn't that assassin DPS sucks but people like to have each class buff in a raid and the assassin DPS just gets overlooked for other classes.

Survivability: Sorc probably (sadly) has more survivability because you can bubble and heal through nearly anything, and heals mean they have to deplete your life bar like 20 times to actually kill you. Contrast to a tank where your life is slow to deplete, but doesn't get refilled..

See solo party response above.

Like Hunters: No, I played a Hunter to 85 in WoW (boring) and don't feel it was anything like playing a Sorc. All classes get companions, and they don't really feel like pets to me. The hunter was balanced to be weak without a pet, but no class in SW is pet-dependent. .

While true, Sorc DPS IMO plays like a warlock unless you go LOL lightning spec which is like an elemental shaman. Sorcerer heals I would say is pretty similar to holy priest in terms of spells.

Like Rogues: One Assassin spec, Deception, is somewhat Roguelike, but I really think the similarity ends at the reduced armor Maul hits. Even in deception an Assassin feels more like a Shaman than a Rogue to me, but its different from either..

I honestly hear that assassin plays a lot more like a feral druid than anything else.

Either class can easily get to 50 without depending on groups, just be smart and get your companions some decent gear, and in hard battles run with a tank if you're Sorc and your healer if you're an Assassin.

Once you reach max level, I would focus on gearing Xalek and Talos for companions. I use Xalek most often because A) I can actually give him tier gear and B) He is tanky DPS which is great for me as sorc DPS. Talos is a second thought but only if a group demands a LOL healer companion.
---
(Automated Notice: We still detect some typos and/or grammar problems in your post. Please check it again.)