will there b an offline mode?

#11Dark_Luna3Posted 5/31/2010 1:13:11 PM
because that would be awesome. that way people can still enjoy the game without paying monthly for it.

I suggest you look into Guild Wars 2 if that's what you want. It will be free to play, regardless of whether you want to play single or multiplayer and supports single player via personal story (Personal instanced areas where your character's storyline will take place).
#12Neo-ganon(Topic Creator)Posted 5/31/2010 2:10:41 PM

Well both games have a massive number of players and they both go online and they are both RPGs so I would call them MMORPGs. You dont have to have hundreds of players playingin the same areaat the same time for it to be an MMORPG, idc what you say.

#13pyber80Posted 5/31/2010 2:53:09 PM
Well both games have a massive number of players and they both go online and they are both RPGs so I would call them MMORPGs. You dont have to have hundreds of players playingin the same areaat the same time for it to be an MMORPG, idc what you say.

Just because people are online and its an RPG doesn't make it an MMO. Diablo isn't an MMO for example, but it is playable online with other people. You should look up the definition of MMORPG. Better yet, here's a quote:

"MMORPGs are distinguished from single-player or small multi-player RPGs by the number of players, and by the game's persistent world, usually hosted by the game's publisher, which continues to exist and evolve while the player is away from the game."

As such, PSO and Monster Hunter are not MMO's. They are simply games with online capability and the ability to team with a few people via the online "lobbies". As a side note, Guild Wars isn't a true MMO either (Arenanet prefers the term CORPG, the 'C' standing for 'competitive' or 'cooperative') since it doesn't have the same persistent open world that distinguishes an MMO from other online RPG's.

Either way you slice it, TOR is an MMO and not a co-op RPG like GW or PSO. And I second Dark_Luna's suggestion that you look into GW2 (or even GW1) since it is supposed to be free-to-play, only having you pay for the actual copy of the game.

---
"Have you seen the posts around this board. You HAVE to act like a child to get attention around here." - AlabamaMan79
#141337frogmanPosted 5/31/2010 3:44:34 PM
Neo-ganon posted...

It's not something we just make up to have an acronym, it's an industry title for a certain type of video game. pyber80 best explains. No MMO has an offline mode for people who don't want to pay their monthly fee.
#15DestroyedEdenPosted 5/31/2010 4:52:34 PM
In MMO there is MASSIVELY, 50-100 players online isn't massive imo.
#16wis3boiPosted 5/31/2010 4:53:01 PM

Neo-ganon posted...

Learn what an MMO is first before you type. MMOs have 5 to 10 thousands players on a single server

#17Cabose420Posted 5/31/2010 4:59:53 PM
MMO - Massively Multiplayer Online

those games have instance areas where about up to 6ish can enter at a time. Games like Halo or COD have a very large amount of people playing them, but they aren't an MMOFPS.

the Massively part of the MMO comes from there being a massive amount of people on one server at one time. this means thousands can play at the same time, on the same server, and can interact with each other in a persistent world, not through instanced dungeons or levels.

the persistent world, a key mechanic for any MMO, also makes an offline mode impossible since you can't undo anything you do in the game and, in some MMOs in a variety of ways, can be shaped by other players. to have a single player option would be like playing GTA IV with no NPCs outside of quests. this means only having people to shoot at during scripted events, no drive-bys, no cops, no going on a massacre with a tank, and no beating up people for cash.
#18raichudlPosted 5/31/2010 8:08:15 PM
AoC had a online "single" mode for the first 20 levels.
---
changed my sig due to the fact that my being a female was offensive to the immature idiots on this board - girlgamersrock
#19IaretehnoobPosted 5/31/2010 9:58:29 PM
And it was dumb.
#20sith_acolyte15Posted 6/1/2010 5:51:19 AM
And how is AoC doing these days?
---
This is the Internet; you can't use popularity to prove something is good unless it's something I actually like.