Looking for a good headset/mic...

#1vengence03043Posted 12/2/2011 9:15:17 PM
Im looking for a decent headset and mic to use for this game. Im only looking to spend around 70$. Just don't have the money with the holidays to buy Astro A40's. Any help would be nice. Thanks.
#2CapnObviousPosted 12/2/2011 9:23:08 PM
I use the Razer Carcharias.. about $70

Has good quality, comfortable, built in mic. Pretty good imo.
---
Mostly...
#3VobeDarkElfPosted 12/2/2011 10:15:16 PM
I had a razer carcharias until recently. it's an outstanding headset with high quality speakers and mic, but no useless junk like light up ear cups and stuff.

It died on me unfortunately. I think I tugged too hard on the wire or something, and the sound got screwed up on it.

I am temporarily using a $20 cheapie, while I decide what I want to do. It will be expensive, but the Tiamat will be out soon and that thing is incredible.
#4hylozoistPosted 12/2/2011 10:42:46 PM
I also believe that the Carcharias is the best headset in that price range for sound quality, but durability is an issue, as with many headsets under $100 (and sometimes for expensive headsets too - I personally have always had issues, anyway, with either one side or the mic going out). I prefer to use a separate mic (I have used and recommend two cheaper mic's, the Olympus ME-52 and the Zalman Zm-Mic1) along with a comfortable pair of headphones (not sure what would be the best in your price range - there are a lot of options but I haven't tried many recently).
#5TonehhPosted 12/2/2011 11:21:48 PM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826104572

best headset you can get for under 100 bucks IMHO. They may not be the best quality but are absolutely the best bang for your buck. Solid headset and microphone for 45 dollars with superb sound and one of the better mic's out there.
---
I don't need a good reputation. I'm on a message board. - RAD24
#6ZukkusPosted 12/2/2011 11:39:23 PM
Take advantage of the holidays and ask for one as a present.
---
"I just wasted a bullet. Don't waste your life." -Big Boss
#7robo_hobo_Posted 12/3/2011 12:35:30 AM
I'm personally a fan of the separate headphones and mic setup. The mic I use is a generic $20 logitech mic, and it works just fine and I don't see much reason to splurge on the mic if you are just using it for gaming.

As for the headphones, I'm using these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826106328

I've bought these almost 3 years ago and they are fantastic. Sound quality is awesome, the cuffs are nice, big and comfy. I can have them on for hours at a time and they don't cause any discomfort, even while wearing glasses.
---
Steam ID: majestikmoose06
#8Erik212Posted 12/3/2011 1:15:20 AM
I use a Creative Arena headset, and I've seen it go on sale for $50 a few times on Amazon. Great quality, in my opinion, but it has its own usb sound card, if you care.
---
Another idea I had was the spy/sniper being able to climb into the soldier's rocket launcher and be launched across the map, dealing more damage, but no splash.