Best Tanking Class?

#1studepaberPosted 12/6/2011 8:33:13 AM
I'd like my main to be a tank and was wondering which class is most efficient from the beta? Right now I'm torn between a Powertech or Juggernaut. Juggernaut seems to be the traditional style for tanking, how does it do for AoE tanking and taunts? Powertech and BH's in general seemed pretty OP to me in beta, but ranged tanking is a little odd to me, do they have a good variety of taunts, ways to get aggro?

Anyone have any experience with assassin tanking? Is it bettererer than Powertech/Jugg?
#2bluezeroPosted 12/6/2011 8:34:46 AM
If there was a "best" they would only make 1 tanking class. I think a lot of it has to do with your playstyle. They seem to be introducing a ranged tank with TOR, which is interesting.
---
http://steam.coolinger.net/_bluezero_.png
#3EternalNetherPosted 12/6/2011 8:41:03 AM
Honestly from what I played of the beta (quite a bit) every class is very good at what they do. At least for the time being, everything is a viable option, so go with what you personally like. Ranged tanks are cool, but I'd probably go Sith Juggernaut or Jedi Guardian just because I prefer melee tanking and they have some badass armor styles.
---
PC gamer elitism makes me sick, and makes me ashamed to consider myself a PC gamer.
#4faustfictPosted 12/6/2011 8:41:27 AM
studepaber posted...
I'd like my main to be a tank and was wondering which class is most efficient from the beta? Right now I'm torn between a Powertech or Juggernaut. Juggernaut seems to be the traditional style for tanking, how does it do for AoE tanking and taunts? Powertech and BH's in general seemed pretty OP to me in beta, but ranged tanking is a little odd to me, do they have a good variety of taunts, ways to get aggro?

Anyone have any experience with assassin tanking? Is it bettererer than Powertech/Jugg?

If you tank with a Powertech, its very close to melee range with majority of the abilities you use. flame thrower, uppercut.. I created a power tech dps and 90% of my fighting was done within melee range.. that was at lower levels of course.
#5havok718Posted 12/6/2011 8:43:59 AM
Powertech's are not range tanks. Most of your good abilities require 4 (melee)-10m range. A powertech who just stays at range only gimp themselves. They do have more options in aggro/damage when they need to get out of range, but they're still melee tanks. Also if the boss isn't ranged, you're not range tanking either way.
#6BalisticWarri0rPosted 12/6/2011 8:46:19 AM
Currently bh and trooper are best for tanking.
#7GogglesFrogPosted 12/6/2011 8:49:23 AM(edited)
Tanking proficiency is based on the determination of the tanker.

Nothing more. It's all about HEART.
---
"....teaching them to observe all thing I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world." -Jesus.
#8xXMaxie360XxPosted 12/6/2011 8:51:50 AM
How are Assassins/Shadows at tanking?
---
The greatest instrument of all time, I give you... the Chipophone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAuPIgD-TM0&videos=m9uWmZWvQUQ
#9ZetgobPosted 12/6/2011 9:02:26 AM
From what I have seen; the Juggernaut is best single target, Powertech is aoe, and Assassin is a bit in the middle with focus on self healing/dots. They all seem to be rather balanced, none having a clear advantage in overall tanking. All three have the same amount of taunts.

I am personally going Powertech, as they have a pretty amazing toolbox. They have a charge, a pull, can kite, an interrupt, last stand, shield wall, and decent CC. I love having all those options for any given scenario.
#10studepaber(Topic Creator)Posted 12/6/2011 9:20:09 AM
Thanks for the replies. That's good to hear they're balanced, I guess I've seen videos of a Powertech tanking up close (with his shoryuken punch and flamethrower), although I was assuming guns = ranged. I really enjoy tanking, mained a tank in WoW, makes you feel like you're in control.

Now I just have to decide what class, blarg!