Tweak your SWTOR graphics! V.3 (updated for 1.1)

#1WriterJasonPosted 1/21/2012 7:39:48 PM
While we wait for the graphical enhancements coming in patch 1.2, here are some great tricks you can use to make your game look better! Of course, you will have to tweak these settings yourself, based on your hardware. Some of these can be tweaked to make your performance better on a lower spec system. You would just tweak the numbers the other direction.

First, let's talk about AA for a second. 1.1 recently hit, and changed a few things graphically. The most important to note is the addition of in game AA. There are 3 settings. High, Low, Off. High represents 4xAA, while Low represents 2xAA. If you choose to use the in game settings, make sure AA is disabled or set to application in your card's control panel. Personally, I disabled the in game AA and forced it through Catalyst.

Next, if your card supports EQAA (Enhanced Quality Anti Aliasing), toggle it on. It can be used with either the in game AA or your card's AA. It improves quality with almost no noticible hit.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, let's talk negative LOD bias. If you don't know what it is, basically it governs the general sharpness of the textures. If you use an LOD bias of -3.0, the picture will be sharp, whereas 3.0 would be more blurry.

So we want to try and add -3.0 LOD bias. How do you go about doing this? If you have an ATI card, get a tweak program like RivaTuner or ATI Tray Tools. Nvidia, you'll want something similar (nvidia inspector is the most commonly used). In this program, you'll want to look in your 3D or Direct 3D settings for the LOD bias slider. Set it to -3.0. Save and exit. Try it out in the game! You can adjust it up or down to your liking! Here are some comparison shots:

NORMAL

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j136/Cgramnaes/SWTOR_No_LOD.jpg

FORCED LOD

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j136/Cgramnaes/SWTOR_Forced_LOD.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEFORE YOU GO ANY FURTHER:

If you have previously tweaked your .ini, it is recommended to DELETE the file, along with the graphics_mirror.ini. Start the game, and it will create new ones. These will be what you work with from now on.

Now, let's talk .ini file tweaks!

For this to work, you have to unhide your C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\SWTOR folder! Then you'll be able to access the client_settings.ini file. Double click to open in notepad.

When finished, save the file, then right click it, and set to read-only, as the game will overwrite it when you restart!

If a line is not added to your .ini, you can add it yourself!

Also, texture quality set at 0 is the setting you want! Trust me!

PLEASE BUMP AND STICKY!
---
PSN/XBL/Steam: Kanemura
"Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much." - Oscar Wilde
#2WriterJason(Topic Creator)Posted 1/21/2012 7:56:07 PM(edited)
1.1 changed things up a bit by adding a few things to the ini file. The most noticable is BUCKETS. You do not want to touch this one for now. This governs the way things are rendered in the world.

You'll also notice that I've added some new lines to the ini regarding SHADOWING. These fixes come with no hit on my card (6870 Black Ed.), but you'll have to try them for yourself to be certain. These DO NOT make the shadows perfect, but they improve them by a whole lot, as you'll see in my new screens below.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Renderer]
AntiAliasingLevel = 0
Buckets = 2
D3DFullScreen = true
GraphicsDeviceId = 26424
Height = 1080
MeshLODQuality = 0
DynamicLightsLimit = 8
enableadvenvirolighting = true
DebugAdvEnviroLighting = true
NativeHeight = 1080
NativeWidth = 1920
TextureAnisotropy = 16
Width = 1920
WindowX = 0
WindowY = 0
VerticalSyncState = true
SpeedTreeDistanceScale = 1.25
FarClipScale = 3.9371195
doShadows = true
doBlobShadows = true
doOmniShadows = true
HighShadowResolution = true
EnableHighShadowResolution = true
shadowQuality = 2
UseMinSpecShaders = false
EnableDynamicShadowFiltering = true
DynamicShadowFiltering = true
EnableZPrepass = true
EnableAccumTrails = true
TextureQuality = 0
AllowDepthOfField = true

[Game]
MoviesFolder = ..\..\Movies

SCREENSHOTS:

http://imgur.com/a/50FQa

------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a useful thread on the official forums that covers a wide range of PC set-ups and discusses how to get the best base performance for your individual set-up. Seriously, if you are concerned about your performance, it is a must read!

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=3898
---
#3steker16Posted 1/21/2012 7:43:45 PM
why not give screenshot that dont look like they came from an Ipad
---
nomnomnom
#4AlabamaMan79Posted 1/21/2012 8:09:27 PM
As usual, the settings presented here don't translate into the same thing for me. My shadows still look like utter ****.

Why do I even bother...
---
Gamertag: AlabamaMan79
When his wife asks him where he's been, just use the action button and Alabama Man will bust her lip open.
#5Abiz_Posted 1/21/2012 8:28:35 PM(edited)
Holy freaking reflections batman.... I'm in the Kaas City expansion area and the floor is so shiny and clean looking....Which it shouldn't be. I don't think that lod tweak is a good idea.
#6WriterJason(Topic Creator)Posted 1/21/2012 8:43:47 PM
I think it looks fantastic. To each their own!
---
#7Abiz_Posted 1/21/2012 8:49:09 PM
It's interesting >.>... Thanks for the other tweaks though.
#8havok718Posted 1/21/2012 9:54:14 PM
When are they going to fix armor textures?! I dont care about shadows or shiny floors.
#9-RenegadePosted 1/21/2012 10:03:56 PM

Here is another is site that talks more about what the tweaks does to the performance on your computer.

http://segmentnext.com/2012/01/13/swtor-ini-tweaks-guide-graphics-and-performance/

#10WriterJason(Topic Creator)Posted 1/22/2012 12:07:33 AM
Bump
---