Sniper Lethality

#1Fallen HorsemanPosted 2/5/2012 8:14:15 PM
I'm trying to figure out if the Sniper Lethality is actually any useful. Does anyone have any experience with it in a PVP setting? So far I've put points in the marksman and engineering trees but I'm not really sure the combat effectiveness of lethality.

Anyone?
---
Tottenham Hotspur: 14W-4D-4L = 46P (3rd) ... Come on you Spurs!
PSN: la_Boomstick XBL: Boomstick Redux
#2DragonQIXFanPosted 2/5/2012 8:32:56 PM
Its for mobility in pvp. Not very good for pve because its an energy hog and mobility is pointless for pve. Good damage, great burst on low health enemies to grab killing blows. Need to manage energy.

Kinda like mercenary pyrotech in general tactics but pretty different abilities.
#3rogueinspacePosted 2/5/2012 9:34:03 PM
I'm planning on speccing Sabotage and Dirty Fighting, and so far I've just been randomly spamming grenades for a lot of AoE and DoT damage while running around. Seems to be decent so far, even if the results aren't immediately visible.
---
Vidi, Vici, Veni
I saw, I conquered, I came
#4Fallen Horseman(Topic Creator)Posted 2/6/2012 4:03:59 AM
Mobility as a sniper? I mean, I could see some situational advantages (eg. Huttball) but wouldn't mobility be the antithesis to an effective sniper? I mean considering all of our best attacks require cover...
---
#5rogueinspacePosted 2/6/2012 9:27:20 AM
As a single target damage dealer? Well yes, absolutely. As an ApE/DoT spamming grenadier? Still a viable build, and nothing is stopping you from going into cover for Aimed Shot and Explosive Probe regularly.
---
Vidi, Vici, Veni
I saw, I conquered, I came
#6HnM777Posted 2/6/2012 11:09:43 AM
I have a LvL50 Sniper, Valor53, 300+ Expertise, Mixed Champ and Rakata Gear with a 52+ Orange Rifle...

Lethality is the PvP build... the real kicker with it is the "Internal Damage"... Corrosive Dart (Internal DoT), Acid(?) Grenade (AoE Snare w/ Internal DoT) if you go for the top tier ability which gives +30% to 15DoTs... then Cull which does TONS of Internal DMG on top of the Extra Procs for each dot you have on them ON AN 8SEC COOL DOWN

you dont get the HUGE hits like marksman but you have TONS many medium ticks that are INTERNAL so they dont get mitigated by any armor. you just melt ppls faces off..

Yes it energy intensive but not terrible considering you get some specs into Adrenaline probe, I usually will go Marksman on the Weekend for Raiding then Lethality/Eng Hybrid on during the week for PvP.

Lethality is DEFINITELY a viable spec for Sniper but it is a TOTALLY DIFFERENT style of play, you have to change up your game and thought process a good amount but it works!
---
[MOD] iGGy - Lead Recruitment Officer - Imperial PvP Guild - Server: Anchorhead
Running: 3x 19' monitors in Eyefinity at 4320x900 resolution = EP1C!
#7MstrDrgn1012Posted 2/6/2012 11:13:01 AM
I'll spec Lethality on my Operative.

My Sniper went Engineering. Gotta say, lethality had some appeal with extended poisons and whatnot, but it felt like the other 2 branches had more to offer.

Let us know how it works out for you tho. ^_^

I'm curius to hear from Snipers of all 3 branches.

(so far, Engineering = +stamina / dmg reduction / BOOM-BOOM / aoe / recovery)
( Marskman = faster/stronger snipe attacks, focused on pure-sniping)
( Lethality = ??? not sure how effective it turns out. never tried nor heard from anyone)
---
This is not my signature. You have been fooled.
#8MstrDrgn1012Posted 2/6/2012 11:15:40 AM
HnM777 posted...
I have a LvL50 Sniper, Valor53, 300+ Expertise, Mixed Champ and Rakata Gear with a 52+ Orange Rifle...

Lethality is the PvP build... the real kicker with it is the "Internal Damage"... Corrosive Dart (Internal DoT), Acid(?) Grenade (AoE Snare w/ Internal DoT) if you go for the top tier ability which gives +30% to 15DoTs... then Cull which does TONS of Internal DMG on top of the Extra Procs for each dot you have on them ON AN 8SEC COOL DOWN

you dont get the HUGE hits like marksman but you have TONS many medium ticks that are INTERNAL so they dont get mitigated by any armor. you just melt ppls faces off..

Yes it energy intensive but not terrible considering you get some specs into Adrenaline probe, I usually will go Marksman on the Weekend for Raiding then Lethality/Eng Hybrid on during the week for PvP.

Lethality is DEFINITELY a viable spec for Sniper but it is a TOTALLY DIFFERENT style of play, you have to change up your game and thought process a good amount but it works!

Thx for the extensive feedback. ^_^
---
This is not my signature. You have been fooled.
#9HnM777Posted 2/6/2012 11:30:13 AM
MstrDrgn1012 posted...
Thx for the extensive feedback. ^_^

np, let me know if you guys have any questions, I know im not the best sniper around but Im doin my darnedest to get there, I do as much research as I can on my class so ill answer what I can.
---
[MOD] iGGy - Lead Recruitment Officer - Imperial PvP Guild - Server: Anchorhead
Running: 3x 19' monitors in Eyefinity at 4320x900 resolution = EP1C!
#10Fallen Horseman(Topic Creator)Posted 2/6/2012 2:25:11 PM
Right now I'm level 37. I've tried the trees up to mid level marksman and recently, mid level engineering. Both roles, I was really effective. I could still get my high hits (without wz expertise buffs with ambush and takedown) in both but it seemed that there was just higher burst with engineering in addition to a constant DPS count with the Adrenaline Probe.

I was thinking of jumping to the Lethality tree and see what it had to offer which is the reason for this question. My eventual plan was to make corrosive grenade with adrenaline probe and just unload with pure shooting skills. I was trying to figure out if movement effects stacked (which was a no apparently answered in another topic) but regardless, 18s of slowdown and slowly wearting down an oponnent will cause massive destruction, in theory, to a melee opponent in a 1v1 setting.

First, of course, is trying to find the effectiveness of corrosive grenade. I never really used the dart because I thought it was weak and even with the buffs from the tree, it still doesn't seem worth it. I never thought of going as high enough to Cull though...
---