extreme FPS drop after last patch

#1loadedtheguyPosted 3/21/2012 3:18:15 AM
Previous to this last update I was getting about 25-30 fps in most situations. Now I get an unplayable 5-10 fps. I have tried updating my video card driver, reinstalling the card driver, deleting client settings and graphics mirror. Not sure what else I can do. I have literally everything turned to the bare minimum settings. My laptop is a pile for sure but to have a 15 fps drop overnight is a bit odd. Any suggestions or more info would be appreciated (aside from 'get a new system').

Specs
Win7 64bit
Geforce 8600M GT
Intel Core 2 DUO 2.0 ghz
4gb RAM

These specs pass the Can I Run It tests and seem to be at the minimum requirements list on the SWTOR site.
---
games that should be: Pokemon MMORPG, Oregon Trail for th Wii, The Elder Scrolls Online, a new E.V.O game
#2SxmfctPosted 3/21/2012 3:24:16 AM
so thereve made the game LESS optimised?? wow...

i'll warn u man ppl gonna be comming in here blameing ur comp
#3NikkyPosted 3/21/2012 3:28:14 AM
Is your FPS lower universally in all zones?
---
Where's the reset button?
#4loadedtheguy(Topic Creator)Posted 3/21/2012 3:43:19 AM
I am in Belsavis right now and it is occurring in buildings and the open world.
---
games that should be: Pokemon MMORPG, Oregon Trail for th Wii, The Elder Scrolls Online, a new E.V.O game
#5Freedan12Posted 3/21/2012 3:45:25 AM
I'm still getting over 100 fps with all the bells and whistles on max. I think it might just be your laptop's way of saying "it's time to upgrade".

i7 2600k oc to 4.1 ghz
580 GTX SLI
8 gb of 2000 mhz ram
120 gb SSD

Game looks fantastic and runs as smooth as butter. Really it does.
#6loadedtheguy(Topic Creator)Posted 3/21/2012 3:58:39 AM
I am aware that my computer is pretty out of date. My concern is that overnight it became unplayable. I am not looking to play at 70 fps and I have no delusion that the game is ever going to work above the bare minimum settings. Any ideas what could cause that much of a change?
---
#7NikkyPosted 3/21/2012 4:10:51 AM
What's your computer temp reading at?

There are many variables for the drop in FPS. The patch could have definitely caused it.
---
Where's the reset button?
#8loadedtheguy(Topic Creator)Posted 3/21/2012 4:23:39 AM
temp is pretty cool. no exact reading but i have a usb fan cooling thing that sits under my laptop. the processor fan rarely kicks in to high gear when i am using it.
---
#9ximausPosted 3/21/2012 6:07:20 AM
Mine still works fine and my specs are only a few grades higher than yours.

The first thing I would suggest is, if it TRULY only happened right after the patch without delay then delete your preferences file in your SWTOR folder and reset all of your preferences. If that doesn't work then it probably wasn't just the patch.

Specs
Win7 64bit
Geforce 8600M GT
Intel Core 2 DUO 2.0 ghz
4gb RAM

Those are, quite literally, the lower end requirements. So try this: drop the texture down to "very low" and see if you notice any improvement. If so, then it's heavily your computer. If not then it could be any number of things including your internet connection.

Also, if you haven't shut down your CPU in a while you might be experiencing some back log causing slowdown.
---
The cake was never a lie, it was just poisoned.
#10bluezeroPosted 3/21/2012 6:26:17 AM

Geforce 8600M GT
Intel Core 2 DUO 2.0 ghz

I'm surprised you ran it well to begin with.
---
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6056/6347063979_48208f149d.jpg