This will go F2P/freemium before the beginning of 2013, I'm sure of it.

#1HermanTuttlePosted 4/16/2012 8:58:36 AM(edited)
Anyone else agree? It's been proven to be really the only way anymore that an MMO can sustain itself. I mean, if WoW already did it, it's only a matter of time before EVERYONE else follows suit.

Alternatively, they could sell portions of the game in episodic chunks, but I'm not sure how well that would work out for an MMO.

EA's taken some huge losses recently and a massive restructuring is probably in order. ToR and the PopCap acquisition haven't been anywhere near as profitable as they were expecting.
#2LeninovPosted 4/16/2012 8:58:50 AM
yeah, it's obvious.
---
Man's consciousness not only reflects the objective world, but creates it.
http://i41.tinypic.com/2m2cm77.jpg
#3RezidentdevilPosted 4/16/2012 9:00:10 AM
HermanTuttle posted...
Anyone else agree? It's been proven to be really the only way anymore that an MMO can sustain itself. I mean, if WoW already did it, it's only a matter of time before EVERYONE else follows suit.

Alternatively, they could sell portions of the game in episodic chunks, but I'm not sure how well that would work out for an MMO.

EA's taken some huge losses recently and a massive restructuring is probably in order. ToR and the PopCap acquisition haven't been anywhere near as profitable as they were expecting.

?
---
Evening news is where they begin with 'Good evening', and then proceed to tell you why it isn't.!
#4SoulTrapperPosted 4/16/2012 9:00:47 AM
This game really isn't made for F2P, unless they sell planets, but that would completely negate the F2P aspect.

They're doomed if they do, doomed if they don't.

R.I.P. in peace TORtanic, we hardly knew ye ;_;7

(See? This is trolling, sharing opinions is not. If you take one thing from this game, I hope it's understanding the difference.)
---
PSN: El_Coon
#5HermanTuttle(Topic Creator)Posted 4/16/2012 9:01:14 AM
WoW is free to play up to Level 20 now.
#6bluezeroPosted 4/16/2012 9:02:15 AM

That does not mean the entire game is F2P.
---
http://fp.profiles.us.playstation.com/playstation/psn/pid/Maliquis.png
#7theshovellerPosted 4/16/2012 9:07:34 AM(edited)
HermanTuttle posted...

That's an "unlimited trial." That's not "free to play." "Free to play" would mean they can get to at least the vanilla level cap and have access to the "vanilla game" areas, maybe not all the classes, but more than just 1/4 of the entire numerical level total.

Even then, it'd be more of a "hybrid" model, since they'd still have subs and whatnot.

Edit: I haven't played Warcraft, but I'd imagine getting to 20 is like being able to play TOR for free until level 18 and you can only get to Coruscant, nothing after that (including your ship.) So Tython / Ord Mantell, Republic Fleet, Esseles, and Coruscant (and the equivalent for Empire.)
#8jackliu239Posted 4/16/2012 9:06:52 AM

Best case F2p by summer, worse case F2p by end of year.

#9riddlebox13Posted 4/16/2012 9:10:42 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#10darkace77450Posted 4/16/2012 9:12:01 AM
riddlebox13 posted...
jackliu239 posted...
Best case F2p by summer, worse case F2p by end of year.

Not even close... I love how people base these things off of absolutely nothing even though the game is still selling and still making profit. Even if it wasn't it wouldn't go F2P within a year? Games have sold FAR FAR FAR less and took years to go F2P... if you legitimately think this game will go F2P within this year you're an idiot.

How many of those games had a budget anywhere near the size of TOR's budget?