Good Night Sweet SWTOR. Guild Wars 2 is going to put you to bed

#31george43(Topic Creator)Posted 4/29/2012 10:55:37 AM
Antikythera posted...
The reality is GW2 will prob hurt SWToR numbers for awhile, like any new big game does, but I would suggest you wait a few months, come back to this board and see if you still feel the same way, cause I think you think GW2 is better then it really is. And sure, it's "semi" free....but that dosn't necessarily mean its good.

I've dropped 20 hours in the beta and its already a better game than SWTOR. It's easy to tell that because right out of the box, if you decide to do pvp, it makes everyone max level with a full compliment of skills.

The subscription free model is genius because it allows GW2 to keep its critical mass for WvWvW.

WvWvW is pretty much the pinnacle of world pvp. It's hard to explain in a couple of sentences, but it took everything that was successful with DAoC, Warhammer and WoW, put it on steroids and lets players play for free after initial purchase.
#32darkace77450Posted 4/29/2012 12:23:41 PM
rvnender posted...
Until he realizes that GW2 has no end game content at all.

It has more of an end-game than Skyrim, Battlefield 3, or TOR. Like thw first two and unlike this game you aren't required to pay a monthly fee to continue playing. Like the first two the initial $60 purchase price is all that is required to play the game. That means you can walk away any time you get bored and return any time you want.

So...do you want to try again?
#33trickbirdPosted 4/29/2012 12:53:08 PM
darkace77450 posted...
rvnender posted...

It has more of an end-game than Skyrim, Battlefield 3, or TOR. Like thw first two and unlike this game you aren't required to pay a monthly fee to continue playing. Like the first two the initial $60 purchase price is all that is required to play the game. That means you can walk away any time you get bored and return any time you want.

so what is the endgame since you do not say anything about it, and comparing an MMO endgame to Skyrim and BF3 is just ridiculous.
#34rvnenderPosted 4/29/2012 1:07:20 PM
darkace77450 posted...
rvnender posted...

I think you need to try harder.

Comparing and MMO to a single player RPG and a shooter.

Try harder.
---
"Not everybody has tube TVs without input lag. Tube TVs now banned online" -Maverick_McCain in reply to why turbo is frowned upon
#35Visani_ChantePosted 4/29/2012 1:34:29 PM
rvnender posted...
darkace77450 posted...
rvnender posted...

Try harder.

I can see where darkace77450 is coming from. I have to agree with him

I wouldn't lump Guild Wars 2 in with MMOs like TOR or Tera. It's closer to games like Diablo 3.
#36trickbirdPosted 4/29/2012 1:41:58 PM
Visani_Chante posted...
rvnender posted...
darkace77450 posted...
rvnender posted...

Try harder.

I can see where darkace77450 is coming from. I have to agree with him

I wouldn't lump Guild Wars 2 in with MMOs like TOR or Tera. It's closer to games like Diablo 3.

It may be closer to Diablo 3. But GW2 and Diablo 3 are not close to Skyrim or BF3 at all especially in terms of any endgame content.
#37darkace77450Posted 4/29/2012 2:01:18 PM
trickbird posted...
so what is the endgame since you do not say anything about it

8 dungeons locations with each featuring several different dungeons, structured pvp (team vs team), massive server vs server pvp (think battlegrounds pitting three different servers against each) that run for a week, and like TOR there are different stories for different characters (so making alts is as viable there as it is here).

trickbird posted...
and comparing an MMO endgame to Skyrim and BF3 is just ridiculous.

rvnender posted...

Try harder.

I'm not comparing an mmo to Skyrim and BF3, I'm comparing a video game to a video game. You've got a $60 purchase price with all of the games I've mentioned. All of them offer plenty of content to keep you busy for a while (some more than others). Only one of them requires you to pay a monthly fee.

Without a monthly fee developers have no incentive to artificially extend the time it requires to do anything in-game, meaning much of the grind can be done away with. I don't know about you, but the less grinding I'm doing the better I'm able to enjoy a game.

Without a monthly fee you're free to step away from the game and play anything else you want the moment you feel bored or burned out. There is no further financial investment making you want to play to "get your money's worth". With a subscription fee, you're going to want to justify that monthly fee whether you're enjoying yourself or not.

When you want to come back to a game like Battlefield 3, Skyrim, Diablo 3, or Guild Wars 2 you simply boot it up and start playing. When you want to come back to a game like Star Wars: The Old Republic you have to either reactivate your account and fork over more money or boot it up after not playing (but still paying for) the game.

The point of my post is that GW2 has plenty of end-game content. But even if it didn't, the lack of a monthly fee means the rest of the content can easily provide enough fun to justify the $60 purchase price. If a developer wants to charge a monthly fee, they'd better go above and beyond the norm and provide healthy helping of end-game content to keep people interested (which Guild Wars 2 does without the subscription fee).
#38trickbirdPosted 4/29/2012 2:09:50 PM
darkace77450 posted...
trickbird posted...

8 dungeons locations with each featuring several different dungeons, structured pvp (team vs team), massive server vs server pvp (think battlegrounds pitting three different servers against each) that run for a week, and like TOR there are different stories for different characters (so making alts is as viable there as it is here).

trickbird posted...
and comparing an MMO endgame to Skyrim and BF3 is just ridiculous.

rvnender posted...

Try harder.

I'm not comparing an mmo to Skyrim and BF3, I'm comparing a video game to a video game. You've got a $60 purchase price with all of the games I've mentioned. All of them offer plenty of content to keep you busy for a while (some more than others). Only one of them requires you to pay a monthly fee.

Without a monthly fee developers have no incentive to artificially extend the time it requires to do anything in-game, meaning much of the grind can be done away with. I don't know about you, but the less grinding I'm doing the better I'm able to enjoy a game.

Without a monthly fee you're free to step away from the game and play anything else you want the moment you feel bored or burned out. There is no further financial investment making you want to play to "get your money's worth". With a subscription fee, you're going to want to justify that monthly fee whether you're enjoying yourself or not.

When you want to come back to a game like Battlefield 3, Skyrim, Diablo 3, or Guild Wars 2 you simply boot it up and start playing. When you want to come back to a game like Star Wars: The Old Republic you have to either reactivate your account and fork over more money or boot it up after not playing (but still paying for) the game.

The point of my post is that GW2 has plenty of end-game content. But even if it didn't, the lack of a monthly fee means the rest of the content can easily provide enough fun to justify the $60 purchase price. If a developer wants to charge a monthly fee, they'd better go above and beyond the norm and provide healthy helping of end-game content to keep people interested (which Guild Wars 2 does without the subscription fee).

This is not entirely true becuase the "sub fee" will come in expansions you need to buy every 6 months or so to get current content.

and GW2 is an MMO no matter what you personally feel about it. So you are comparing an MMO to skyrim and BF3.
#39trickbirdPosted 4/29/2012 2:33:30 PM
darkace77450 posted...
trickbird posted...

Also dungeons and pvp is pretty much standard endgame. Didnt Warhammer and Doac have Server vs Server pvp. Rolling alts is not endgame either. And no endgame raiding seems lacking.
#40RSF1212Posted 4/29/2012 2:37:51 PM
Good night troll.