Bioware should have just made KoTOR 3

#1RECON64bitPosted 5/2/2012 6:42:32 PM
This game was an utter disappointment for me. IMO this game is not what a true MMO should be. SWG was closer to what MMOs should be like, especially with the Star Wars licence. TOR is a step back to the ideal MMO and there is nothing Bioware can do to change this feeling for me.

PVP is terrible, predictable and tame. Why play this locked PVP when I can just play jedi knight academy? The strong point for combat in MMOs is the unpredictability of it, it's dynamic and ever changing.

I remember using guerrilla style tactics in SWG PVP in order to capture a player base. I remember discussing tactics with other players in the cantinas that were more crowded than any street in the TOR. There was also the fact that players could hide their allegiances and appear to be on your side, when in fact they were spies.

In this game you mostly just interact with players on your side. This is very boring as their is very little conflict. Of course the game focuses on the PVE aspect mostly with a good story. This I can confirm, however I can say with the utmost certainty that, the story and quest aspect of the game would have been better made in a single player KoTOR3.

The overall quality of the game would have been higher in dialogue and story, level design and visuals. Singleplayer RPGs will always do these parts better than any MMO. I see no point in theme park MMOs when the theme park can be better in a singleplayer game. MMOs should be made to their strengths and that is interacting with other players in unique and interesting ways. I'm not saying sandbox is the answer but there should have been more sandbox aspects to this game than a straight linear MMO.
#2bigbry2004Posted 5/2/2012 6:45:34 PM
RECON64bit posted...
This game was an utter disappointment for me.

You and a majority of the people who bought the game, me included.
---
nWo -4- Life!
#3markyvarsityPosted 5/2/2012 6:47:54 PM
yeah this game is totally dead, thats why only a million people dead. Tortanic is at the bottom of the ocean.
#4ATiRadeonHDPosted 5/2/2012 6:53:09 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsogswrH6ck
---
|| AMD Phenom II x6 1065T || nVidia GTX 560Ti || Thermaltake 600 watt PSU || 8GB DDR3 || Windows 7
#5VINJARPosted 5/2/2012 6:58:02 PM
I've been looking forward to TOR for almost 4 years. Going in I knew it was no sandbox MMO. It was not gonna be SWG.

That being said, TOR is missing something. Other than players. I wish I knew what it was. I'll be back when they merge servers or allow server transfer to another server. Maybe.
---
(Insert uber computer specs here)
#6AntorPosted 5/2/2012 7:02:50 PM
I'm sorry you don't enjoy the game, perhaps you think it would have been better as a single player game because you don't play with a group of people. I however DO play this game with a group of people and must say, I find most of what you've said laughable. The only way much of what you said could be the case, is, and this very well could be the case, if you don't have a single person to play with, and I can see how in ANY game that would be boring. Perhaps try making some friends, joining a guild or something and I think you'll find it's not what you seem to think it is.
---
This ain't Sea World, this is real as it gets!
#7Visani_ChantePosted 5/2/2012 7:36:43 PM
Antor posted...
I'm sorry you don't enjoy the game, perhaps you think it would have been better as a single player game because you don't play with a group of people. I however DO play this game with a group of people and must say, I find most of what you've said laughable. The only way much of what you said could be the case, is, and this very well could be the case, if you don't have a single person to play with, and I can see how in ANY game that would be boring. Perhaps try making some friends, joining a guild or something and I think you'll find it's not what you seem to think it is.

I was in a guild. This #$%& is stale.

The story doesn't work with teammates. You should already know this since you have other people to play with. Do you enjoy watching a non-interactive random cut scene from a plot you know very little about or do you stand outside the quest giver instance like you are waiting for your buddy to take a piss?

The questing is linear. You go to each planet in order and for specific levels. Hit a boring part in your story? Suck it up: you need to do it to advance the plot. Finishing a chapter has you pinging around the loading screen galaxy - even though your galactic communicator works just fine. Is your teammate going to put up with that horse crap? Naw, he has his own ridiculous round-the-galaxy BS he is forced to do as well.

It only gets WORSE the more people on your team. Like they are actively trying to punish you for playing with friends.
#8SlightlySychoticPosted 5/2/2012 7:42:54 PM
[Khan voice:] THIS IS KOTOR 3!!! This is exactly where they would have gone with it given the chance. It's --

RECON64bit posted...
PVP is terrible, predictable and tame. Why play this locked PVP when I can just play jedi knight academy? The strong point for combat in MMOs is the unpredictability of it, it's dynamic and ever changing.

Wait, wait, wait . . . you're biggest complaint is about PvP? How exactly would that have been fixed by making KotOR 3?

Oh wait, where's my brain? Of course KotOR was a multiplayer game! I mean, remember when you're friend walked into and asked what you were playing, and you said, "Knights of the Old Republic," and he was like "Oh," and walked out? Best multiplayer experience of my life. Team Fortress 2 just doesn't compare. Guild Wars 2 is just trash compared to that.
---
Sychotic Quote for the Whenever: "Don't think I'll go easy on you just because you're a dog."
#9sucricPosted 5/2/2012 7:45:26 PM
I think its alot of fun, the group stuff is really where its at, I sort of feel completely numb after doing a whole ton of solo stuff tho. I feel like I have to stay up late to play this game properly, I just want to do some flashpoints whenever I feel like, but sadly I have to do them with a guild, and to be quite frank I don't have that kind of time to put into this game.
---
Angry RUSSIAN HELICOPTER!
#10darthjerroPosted 5/3/2012 12:28:34 AM
RECON64bit posted...
This game was an utter disappointment for me. IMO this game is not what a true MMO should be. SWG was closer to what MMOs should be like, especially with the Star Wars licence. TOR is a step back to the ideal MMO and there is nothing Bioware can do to change this feeling for me.

I remember using guerrilla style tactics in SWG PVP in order to capture a player base. I remember discussing tactics with other players in the cantinas that were more crowded than any street in the TOR. There was also the fact that players could hide their allegiances and appear to be on your side, when in fact they were spies.

In this game you mostly just interact with players on your side. This is very boring as their is very little conflict. Of course the game focuses on the PVE aspect mostly with a good story. This I can confirm, however I can say with the utmost certainty that, the story and quest aspect of the game would have been better made in a single player KoTOR3.

The overall quality of the game would have been higher in dialogue and story, level design and visuals. Singleplayer RPGs will always do these parts better than any MMO. I see no point in theme park MMOs when the theme park can be better in a singleplayer game. MMOs should be made to their strengths and that is interacting with other players in unique and interesting ways. I'm not saying sandbox is the answer but there should have been more sandbox aspects to this game than a straight linear MMO.

Agree 432%.