2.1 million copies sold, 1.3 million subs

#1SoulTrapperPosted 5/7/2012 3:23:01 PM
I guess you could say they lost a boat-load of subs.
---
PSN: El_Coon
#2Karmic Dragon2003Posted 5/7/2012 3:24:42 PM
Hey man they are still making a sick profit and it's the most succesful MMO so far in the past 6 years ok??
---
CreviceCretin - Mario games are for little kids grow up and kill something.
^ 111 people agree that it's ignorance at its finest.
#3SoulTrapper(Topic Creator)Posted 5/7/2012 3:27:05 PM
You're probably right, I bet most of those people just haven't opened their box yet.
---
PSN: El_Coon
#4burtonbswPosted 5/7/2012 3:30:14 PM
Sadly I think I will be canceling this month. I love the game but I play a republic. I really don't want to play on the empire side nor roll on a different server. My server is absolutely dead for the rep side. I will probably be back if they do server mergers or transfers (only if transfers are free).

Until then I will be playing some LOTRO.
---
-XBL GT: SublimeBW
#5DraconisRexPosted 5/7/2012 3:33:14 PM
Karmic Dragon2003 posted...
Hey man they are still making a sick profit and it's the most succesful MMO so far in the past 6 years ok??

You're not an accountant. You don't even have the slightest clue. It would take 6 million box sales plus over 1 million base-subs during a two-year period just to hit break-even on this project.

You totally do not factor in that you're not the one selling at retail, the retailier is. You're selling at wholesale which, in the games industry is around 40% to 50% of box depending on the right of return particulars. Plus, you're paying the publisher -- Lucas Arts -- 30% royalties on what you do sell. Plus you have distribution costs. Plus capitalized over-head charges beyond direct development, like all that rent, those blackberries, the other costs associated with making the game that aren't labor or goods.

Add in marketing, and it was HUGE in this game... There isn't any profit in what they've done. They haven't come close to break even.

This is why a Company that sells a million dollars worth of product doesn't make a million dollar profit. And why most Fortune 500 companies have small, single-digit-percentage profit margins.
---
It's not 2004, stop making excuses...
#6Id HyrenPosted 5/7/2012 3:40:14 PM
karmic dragon you're too good for gamefaqs, it's lost on these people.
---
YOUR OWN SCREAMING FACE VISIBLE OVER CCTV, ITS WARNINGS INAUDIBLE. YOU INSTEAD EXAMINE THE TV DISPLAYING THE FREE IPAD.
#7xViiRGILPosted 5/7/2012 4:02:03 PM
DraconisRex posted...

You're not an accountant. You don't even have the slightest clue. It would take 6 million box sales plus over 1 million base-subs during a two-year period just to hit break-even on this project.

You totally do not factor in that you're not the one selling at retail, the retailier is. You're selling at wholesale which, in the games industry is around 40% to 50% of box depending on the right of return particulars. Plus, you're paying the publisher -- Lucas Arts -- 30% royalties on what you do sell. Plus you have distribution costs. Plus capitalized over-head charges beyond direct development, like all that rent, those blackberries, the other costs associated with making the game that aren't labor or goods.

Add in marketing, and it was HUGE in this game... There isn't any profit in what they've done. They haven't come close to break even.

This is why a Company that sells a million dollars worth of product doesn't make a million dollar profit. And why most Fortune 500 companies have small, single-digit-percentage profit margins.

So this post would make you what? An EA/bioware accountant that lost they're job in January or something right? It's funny how you stated so much heresay in your argument as if it's a fact. But keep trying, one day you'll get to the levels of trolling that guys like karmic are on.
---
You miss 100% of the shots you never take. - I'm sick of standing there staring at the hoop with a ball in my hands.
#8FaYt2021Posted 5/7/2012 4:04:03 PM

1.7 + 5 months worth of more subs so probably 2.3 million or such now I think.

Ships sinking, and your the guy telling everyone to stay in their rooms.
---
Bethesda... what has become of you?
#9Karmic Dragon2003Posted 5/7/2012 4:09:46 PM
WoW = 36 million copies sold, 10.4 million subs.

SWTOR is doing better than WoW.
---
CreviceCretin - Mario games are for little kids grow up and kill something.
^ 111 people agree that it's ignorance at its finest.
#10rowgue34Posted 5/7/2012 7:07:21 PM
WoW = 36 million copies sold, 10.4 million subs.

SWTOR is doing better than WoW.

Except this game claims people playing on free time as subscribers. They admit to losing almost a third of their player base within four months, the real number is likely worse. There is a reason they promised to give the recurring subscribers numbers and instead once again gave the active subscriber numbers, and it isn't because things are great.