There really are EA shills out there.

#1BahamutDarkFirePosted 5/7/2012 8:39:22 PM
http://www.cinemablend.com/games/EA-Viral-Marketing-Exposed-Big-Buyout-Horizon-40885.html

Rayla Farlena on the official forums is one of them, too. They're like the ultra fanboys that cannot even tolerate a post with constructive criticism. Anything negative they downplay and try to discredit, to stop "bad press" from spreading from forum to forum, ideally at least.

It's really a pathetic practice IMO, but it isn't too difficult to spot them these days.

And stuff like this just speaks to what a manipulating and fundamentally dishonest company EA is in my opinion. Pisses me off.
---
"Therein is your error, smoke not the bowl, smoke the contents." - Greendrakkon | A kid complaining he wasn't high after "smoking 2 bowls."
#2ultimateballoonPosted 5/7/2012 8:52:54 PM
I bet most of the users here wish they could get paid to do what they do naturally on a daily basis.
#3Megotaku77Posted 5/7/2012 9:03:21 PM
This is not new, its been happening forever and EA isn't the only company that does it. In fact, every company in every industry without exception uses these tactics to mitigate bad publicity. You've never heard a company spin negative press before? PC gaming is a viral market, so they spin where the spin is most effective. Its dishonest, but business is inherently dishonest. You don't let your company crash around you because you're too noble to do some spin. That scrap of pride doesn't fill your hungry belly.

I don't doubt that some of the postings are true, but it seriously must have been a slow newsday to post a 4chan exchange as an authoritative source on this kind of thing. The big question is how many trolls are paid by their competitors? If MMOs are a competitive industry where the average gamer will only subscribe to one at a time, it does make one wonder how many of the trolls who have been on these boards complaining for 4 months are actually Activision or Trion employees. That's the only conclusion I can come to about someone spending four months complaining about something they hate, they're paid to.
#4WeKnowOfYouPosted 5/7/2012 9:15:10 PM
Couple of other names that are shills.

Andryah and JeramieCrowe.

Andryah does masters the voice-over work, and actually has a tattoo of the SWTOR Republic/Imp logo.

There's a few others, but they've gone silent the last little while.

Keep an eye on Kthx and Jett-Rinn, also.
#5FonyPosted 5/7/2012 9:34:01 PM(edited)
Bioware employee sighting

http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=4235088&postcount=149
http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=4235142&postcount=156
http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=4235466&postcount=173
http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=4235527&postcount=176
---
It's not the end of the world, but we can see it from here.
#6maxpowr3Posted 5/7/2012 9:56:21 PM
So the trolls on this board are being paid by competitors? Jeez, where I can get this easy money?
---
(Automated Notice: We still detect some typos and/or grammar problems in your post. Please check it again.)
#7xKontagionxPosted 5/7/2012 10:07:55 PM
Its funny gamers think only one mmo can exist and sharing the market is not allowed in the world.
---
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. - Herm Albright
#8rowgue34Posted 5/7/2012 11:21:54 PM(edited)
Megotaku77 posted...
This is not new, its been happening forever and EA isn't the only company that does it. In fact, every company in every industry without exception uses these tactics to mitigate bad publicity. You've never heard a company spin negative press before? PC gaming is a viral market, so they spin where the spin is most effective. Its dishonest, but business is inherently dishonest. You don't let your company crash around you because you're too noble to do some spin. That scrap of pride doesn't fill your hungry belly.

I don't doubt that some of the postings are true, but it seriously must have been a slow newsday to post a 4chan exchange as an authoritative source on this kind of thing. The big question is how many trolls are paid by their competitors? If MMOs are a competitive industry where the average gamer will only subscribe to one at a time, it does make one wonder how many of the trolls who have been on these boards complaining for 4 months are actually Activision or Trion employees. That's the only conclusion I can come to about someone spending four months complaining about something they hate, they're paid to.

Having PR people and spinning bad press is one thing, this is another thing entirely. Legitimate PR people do spin things, but they're doing it as a representative of their employer, you understand they have a horse in the race and they're speaking from a biased perspective.

Professional PR reps being paid to try pass themselves off as joe blow consumer is not only completely bogus, it's technically false advertising and can and has been sanctioned as such. It's an easier practice to get away with when a company pays random people a one off fee to provide a single glowing testimonial of a product. Since they aren't employees of the company and paying somebody for their permission to use their honest feedback on your product is perfectly legit, it would be almost impossible to prove it's anything but what it purports to be. Actual employees of a company collecting a regular paycheck to do it continuously as their occupation however is a definate no-no.

Here's a link to one story about some companies that have gotten the smackdown for getting caught doing it:
http://www.socialmedialawupdate.com/2010/09/articles/advertising/astroturfing-with-fake-reviews-exposes-a-company-to-legal-risk/
#9jumbocatPosted 5/7/2012 11:00:19 PM
I'm 100% unsurprised. I think back to the CODMW3 vs BF3 silliness of last year where COD trailers were thumbed-down to oblivion and the same people would make daily topics on the MW3 board insulting the game and listing BF3's features like a brochure.
---
ED
AC
#10PulpPosted 5/7/2012 11:23:10 PM
Stupid and old. I've worked at EA Burnaby and Nintendo in Richmond, in higher positions than a "forum troll who works from home" (which btw would be lower than testers in the totem pole) and I never had insider access to the point this guy tries to play off. Why anyone would take the time to assess and diseminate this nobodies 4chan comments is beyond me...oh wait, I see now, it's not a "real" gaming publication.

I don't think it's any surprise though that employees or hired marketing companies include online manipulation in their efforts to promote business. It happens on all levels, even small businesses that rate up their google places with fakes or friends. Hell, if you get right down to it, paid print reviews is just viral as well.

For kicks, I called a old co-worker at EA Burnaby and asked if she knew anyone there that was hired for that specific purpose - I got a laugh and a no. I even asked a buddy a United Front and Hothead (also no, but they often post in various places on personal accounts, even here). The idea that EA hired 560 (very specific knowledge, nevermind for a spread out company like EA, lol) people part/full time to be professional trolls is idiotic. To be honest, that's the sort of service you would contract out for - maybe - as part of a larger online marketing push.
---
Contest Abuse - You have lost the right to dispute or appeal further moderations.