Does this going F2P so early make this the biggest MMO failure in history?

#11Cabose420Posted 7/31/2012 3:13:32 PM
it might be a failure, but far from a "colossal failure". it definitely made its money back day 1 from sales, and a little more with the first month subscriptions it got. however, if what i looked up is accurate, about 90% left after a while due to the lack of content.

going free to play doesn't mean a failure. its a sign that times are changing. when bioware started making this game it was 2005. WoW was going at full force and growing. free to play was looked down upon my almost everyone, since it usually meant "pay to win" and usually had a lot of hackers and other problems.

it wasn't until a few years ago that free to play really started to get some traction as a respected and profitable model with micro transactions as developers learned how to do it correctly. it isn't bioware's fault the genre's business model flipped upside down about half way through developing it.

going free to play will hopefully breath new life into the game, bringing back a lot of the 10 million people who bought the game and maybe some new players.

also, the biggest failure in MMO history is probably FFXIV, which stayed free to play for months due to its large design flaws and stability, costing SE a lot of money paying for servers and personnel to run them. not to mention firing everyone and restaffing to try and fix it the game post launch, loosing them more money.
#12ClappyTheClown_Posted 7/31/2012 3:14:57 PM
Have you ever played Final Fantasy XIV?
---
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c337/togogoto/exist-trace-naoto.jpg
http://i874.photobucket.com/albums/ab306/Xx_Liz_xX12/exist_trace_497796.jpg
#13gamewizard11Posted 7/31/2012 3:18:34 PM
Cabose420 posted...
it might be a failure, but far from a "colossal failure". it definitely made its money back day 1 from sales, and a little more with the first month subscriptions it got. however, if what i looked up is accurate, about 90% left after a while due to the lack of content.

going free to play doesn't mean a failure. its a sign that times are changing. when bioware started making this game it was 2005. WoW was going at full force and growing. free to play was looked down upon my almost everyone, since it usually meant "pay to win" and usually had a lot of hackers and other problems.

it wasn't until a few years ago that free to play really started to get some traction as a respected and profitable model with micro transactions as developers learned how to do it correctly. it isn't bioware's fault the genre's business model flipped upside down about half way through developing it.

going free to play will hopefully breath new life into the game, bringing back a lot of the 10 million people who bought the game and maybe some new players.

also, the biggest failure in MMO history is probably FFXIV, which stayed free to play for months due to its large design flaws and stability, costing SE a lot of money paying for servers and personnel to run them. not to mention firing everyone and restaffing to try and fix it the game post launch, loosing them more money.

No way in hell it made back it's investment on day 1 sales. Not even close.

Though I will agree that FFXIV was probably a bigger fail, SWTOR was a rather big failure as well.
---
don't have a waifu. 2D is just too mainstream and 1D is not even visible.
#14JonnyBigBossPosted 7/31/2012 3:20:59 PM
1000% yea. Anyone who disagrees has no idea how much money was invested into this game and what a small percentage of it theyve earned back. This is like Warhammer Online times four.
---
www.gamerevolution.com
www.playstationlifestyle.net
#15JonnyBigBossPosted 7/31/2012 3:23:49 PM
Cabose420 posted...
it might be a failure, but far from a "colossal failure". it definitely made its money back day 1 from sales, and a little more with the first month subscriptions it got.

You must be bad at math. SWTOR hasn't even made back half of its investment.
---
www.gamerevolution.com
www.playstationlifestyle.net
#16LotrMorgothPosted 7/31/2012 3:24:57 PM
the KoA MMO never even came out and it screwed a fresh company and the state of Rhode Island
---
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. -Bilbo
gamertag: smeaGollum4
#17OverbitePosted 7/31/2012 3:27:12 PM
I wouldn't say biggest failure in MMO history. APB cost a ton of money to make and died 2 months in, taking the entire company with it.

TOR may have cost a lot as well but it's been active for longer than 2 months and EA isn't going bankrupt because of it.
---
I am one unbelievably bad dude.
#18Out TriggerPosted 7/31/2012 3:29:24 PM
How quickly APB is forgotten
#19Ravenius_sorsPosted 7/31/2012 3:30:42 PM
FF14
DCUO
APB
Star trek online
#20kingofjamaicaPosted 7/31/2012 3:34:52 PM
And if it's anything like Turbine Games and Lord of the Rings Online, their revenue will triple by going free to play.
---
At some point, you're going to have to talk to a tree and do what it says. - Arbor Day Rule, Grand List of RPG Cliches.