So why did this game fail so spectacularly?

#1Fish_PastePosted 10/9/2012 4:42:36 PM
Topic
---
"I accidentally the economy"-George Bush
#2LordlyRavenPosted 10/9/2012 4:45:06 PM
It's not fun to play.

/topic
---
Honey, I don't know what you are. For all I know, you could be some fat dude sitting in a stim chair with his **** hanging out.
#3ZiktenPosted 10/9/2012 4:50:23 PM
I think going all voice acting was a mistake. it made the game way too expensive to produce. in order to succeed, they would have had to have had at least WoW level success to make up for that. plus, it makes it harder now to add new quests. while voice acting is cool and all.... I think I now wish they had kept it to text. maybe some important scenes could be acted. but they didn't need to do it for every single line of dialogue in the game.
#4L_M_4Posted 10/9/2012 5:35:44 PM
In all honesty. It's just because EAWare is unthinkably incompetent.

It's one disaster after another with this game. Broken Patches, Bad PR people. Severe Bugs left unpatched for months. I could go on. And all of it could have beeen easily avoided.

Although the game itself is built on a pretty bad engine only makes things worse, but the game would have faired a lot better if practically anyone else developed it. Anyone not part of EA that is.

ToR as a game was never doomed from the get-go. Most developers could have made a very solid game out of the resources Bioware had for this.However, Bioware was so horrible at just about everything they did after the pubnlic got to play the game it was almost comical.

They ignored suggestions made by the majority of the community, and sometimes are flat-out rude to users on their forums. And don't get me started on that incident where they banned innocent people after they reported a rouge GM.

But I digress. At the end of the day, Bioware's reputation has been permanently ruined by this game. I just hope they manage to get things into a stable state before updates become scarce.
---
Psn: BloodFalcon
#5ZiktenPosted 10/9/2012 5:54:58 PM
a GM harrased people, people reported it, and the victims were banned?
#6L_M_4Posted 10/9/2012 6:53:28 PM
They were unbanned withing a day or so, and the GM was apparenetly fired, but only after a massive backlash from the community and the victim's guild, and they still managed to make massive assclowns out of themselves in the process.
---
Psn: BloodFalcon
#7Jules RulesPosted 10/9/2012 9:06:52 PM
Zikten posted...
I think going all voice acting was a mistake. it made the game way too expensive to produce. in order to succeed, they would have had to have had at least WoW level success to make up for that. plus, it makes it harder now to add new quests. while voice acting is cool and all.... I think I now wish they had kept it to text. maybe some important scenes could be acted. but they didn't need to do it for every single line of dialogue in the game.

This really. They went overkill. Would have been fine with class quests and perhaps the main planet ones being voiced, but not every freaking filler.
---
http://i34.tinypic.com/wtauc7.gif
XBL & PSN: OMGFather
#8RuneweaverPosted 10/10/2012 6:04:54 AM
They made a single player game,then stretched it to become an mmo,so the story quests are good but the amount of side quests bores you to tears.
Also Custom equipment removes any reason to hunt for equipment,just need upgrades for it,which you buy or create, Alot of people, myself included enjoy hunting for rare items,one reason people played Diablo2 and WOW for so many years a good loot table,which TOR dosnt have.
#9The RobPosted 10/10/2012 8:19:53 AM
Jules Rules posted...
Zikten posted...
I think going all voice acting was a mistake. it made the game way too expensive to produce.

This really. They went overkill. Would have been fine with class quests and perhaps the main planet ones being voiced, but not every freaking filler.

QFT.
Only the story quests should've been voiced. I turned on subtitles and find myself reading and skipping through most regular quest dialogue. Story mode, yea, you're a little more invested, you watch it play out, but for every single "go kill the slaves", "go find an ancient text", etc, you really don't need voice.
---
whatnow12012 posted...
I am not the same person as Whatnow or whatever his or hers name.
#10ValacanPosted 10/10/2012 8:22:47 AM
Jules Rules posted...
Zikten posted...

I disagree. In fact I hate that there are so many aliens with fake voice acting.

I never played MMOs before this because I hate reading text these days. Perhaps this isn't the right way to do an MMO or they should have just made a KOTOR 3, but it's the only reason I played every class story to completion.