Class stories

#1TheRaven1406Posted 10/21/2012 1:31:55 AM
I'm probably going to play all classes but not on every side, so I'd like to know who has the better/ more interesting story.

Jedi Knight vs Sith warrior
Jedi Consular vs. Sith inquisitor
Smuggler vs. Imperial Agent
Trooper vs Bounty Hunter

Another question: does the story change completely depending on taking the dark or light side?
#2TaafeMJPosted 10/21/2012 2:10:42 AM
TheRaven1406 posted...
I'm probably going to play all classes but not on every side, so I'd like to know who has the better/ more interesting story.

Jedi Knight vs Sith warrior
Jedi Consular vs. Sith inquisitor
Smuggler vs. Imperial Agent
Trooper vs Bounty Hunter

Another question: does the story change completely depending on taking the dark or light side?

For my money:

Warrior (though the Knight is very good as well - It really is worth it to play through both)
Inquisitor (though I'm not particularly a fan of either)
Agent (by far)
Bounty Hunter (both are OK)

Wow, guess I like the empire, huh?

Personally I think it's worth it to play through at least once on each side of the class. Maybe do one spec on the Empire side (ex: Juggernaut) then the other spec on the Republic side (Sentinel)?

Going light or dark doesn't generally change the story much, though it can change the theme of the story. However, in one class quest (I won't say which) you can make a decision that will change who you take missions from. But the missions themselves are still the same as far as I'm aware.

I'd pick my classes based on which play style you enjoy most though. The main ones are stealth, healing, tanking, and dps...and some of them overlap. Assassins/Shadows can stealth tank and stealth DPS, operatives and scoundrels can stealth heal or stealth DPS...personally I enjoy healing (and I'm finding I like tanking too) much better than I like DPS, but more people seem to like DPS than anything else.
#3ZiktenPosted 10/21/2012 2:14:29 AM
I haven't gotten very far in any class other than sith warrior (I can say I like the story of that) but I can tell you that light and dark side doesn't change things as much as you would hope. quests can end in different ways. but as far as the main class story is concerned, while there are some changes, the basic plot stays mostly the same. I have heard that sometimes there are far reaching effects. like seeing a person later on in the story who you helped. I have only seen something kindof like this once. in the sith story, I let someone live who I had the option to kill. in a later quest, this person showed up again to help me out. but then I killed them after anyway (my sith warrior is a dick) I have heard of much more dramatic cases though. like sparing someone on the starting planet and then seeing them when you are level 50 at the end of the game.

Anyway, there is one other change. Again with the sith warrior. one of the companions changes the type of person they are depending on if you are good or evil. Basically there are 2 versions of this companion. And the one version you get has to do with your alignment. so that's a change too.
#4TheRaven1406(Topic Creator)Posted 10/21/2012 2:35:17 AM
thanks, yes I'd like to play all stories, but since you level mostly on the same planets and doing the same non-story quests, it's gonna be really repetetive (or have the sped up leveling?)

Agent (by far)

I heard the Imperial "Versions" of these classes use melee a lot too? I want to be purely ranged with the classes
#5TaiketoPosted 10/21/2012 8:08:30 AM
The imperial versions are identical to the republic versions except for animations, so...

For Bounty Hooters / Trunpers :
Mercenaries / Commandos are ranged.
Powertechs / Vanguards are melee.

For Agents / Smuggles :
Snipers / Gunslingers are ranged.
Operatives / Scoundrels are melee.
---
Is it elitist to crave efficiency?
#6Jules RulesPosted 10/21/2012 9:08:35 AM(edited)
TaafeMJ posted...
For my money:

Warrior (though the Knight is very good as well - It really is worth it to play through both)
Agent (by far)

Nah, it's a fairly common opinion that Empire stories greatly outweigh the Republic ones.

Though I wouldn't say Agent beats Smuggler "by far". Smuggler has a pretty awesome story as well aside from a lame Act 2, but most if not all classes have periods where they aren't that good.

Definitely would recommend that anyone who plays this game plays through a Knight and Warrior, they are the main stories IMO. Knight is basically as close to KOTOR 3 as you will get.
---
http://i34.tinypic.com/wtauc7.gif
XBL & PSN: OMGFather
#7WynnSilvergazePosted 10/22/2012 12:23:12 AM
Jules Rules posted...
TaafeMJ posted...
For my money:

Agent (by far)

Nah, it's a fairly common opinion that Empire stories greatly outweigh the Republic ones.

Though I wouldn't say Agent beats Smuggler "by far". Smuggler has a pretty awesome story as well aside from a lame Act 2, but most if not all classes have periods where they aren't that good.

Definitely would recommend that anyone who plays this game plays through a Knight and Warrior, they are the main stories IMO. Knight is basically as close to KOTOR 3 as you will get.

Yeah, after finishing the Jedi Knight story, i was left thinking that if they had made a KotoR3 this is what the main story would be. Especially if you add in the Jedi Prisoner quest line.
---
You know how it is...Cows go "moo", Dogs go "woof" and MMO Players go "the pvp is unbalanced"
#8TaafeMJPosted 10/22/2012 12:41:29 AM
I'm pretty sure the Knight story is what KOTOR 3 would have been. I swear I remember reading some writer or developer saying that, but for the life of me I can't find it, so maybe I'm just making stuff up. Regardless, the Knight and Warrior storylines are must-plays for lore, and the Agent storyline is must-play because it's well written.

Everything else is worth a shot, especially because once you play through the storylines you'll see certain NPC's from one story showing up in another. That crossing of stories is really well done, IMO.