Limiting character slots punishing people who bought the game?

#31theshovellerPosted 11/14/2012 11:09:41 AM
This whole "character slots" thing reminds me a bit of what happened in Champions Online regarding that. Basically, same sort of deal there - subscribers had 8 character slots, and could buy more. Along comes Free-to-Play, and if you sub, then you keep your slots. If you don't sub, you lose six of your slots - not the characters in there, but just the ability to play as them. There was a bit more to it than that - only certain archetypes as opposed to freeform power selection - but nothing prevented someone from making a bunch of accounts and just playing new guys across three or four accounts. The only downside this had was that stuff that unlocks account-wide would only unlock for those two characters on the account - if you want your stable of 8 guys on 4 accounts to use Rainbow Flight, you had to buy Rainbow Flight four times - once for each account. The alternative was buying slots, then buying Rainbow Flight once for that whole account.

So, is anything stopping them from making new accounts? Probably not. Is it limiting subscribers? Not really, unless they delete those characters you don't have access to, which I don't see happening. If former-but-not-current subscribers want to play with their old guys, then they only need to buy character slots - or make a new account and restart their guys there, on that new account.

No matter what, there will be workarounds that involve someone taking inventory of the risks and rewards of doing such a workaround.
#32KagerasuPosted 11/14/2012 4:25:41 PM(edited)
Wrong, Champions Online did it with an incentive at least.

When you subscribe and hit max level with a character, you are automatically given an ADDITIONAL character slot. Once you go free to play with that account, you REGAIN an additional character slot on that account. This is of course in addition to all the other things you keep. In other words ANYTHING YOU EARNED, YOU KEPT.

That should be the minimum amount of lee way EAware gives, but to have say 5 max level characters but only be able to play 2 of them? That's beyond stupid.
#33KagerasuPosted 11/14/2012 4:19:14 PM
Mogan posted...
Holding EA stock or something? You seem pretty adamant on defending their stance, or at least more concerned about the corporation than anything else. No one was asking you what EA can or can't do. If other peoples' woes bother you so much, you probably shouldn't visit internet forums anymore.

You've misinterpreted my posts if you think I've defended anything EA's done here. The TC asked for thoughts on the matter so I posted mine.

Like I said, look to League of Legends. There is no game more profitable than League right now, and it is using a very gamer oriented business model.
There really is no argument here. EAware can do what they want, but it's their company tanking hard right now. Defending them in any way is for fools.

Yeah, EA could learn a lot from League of Legends, but we can't make them see a better way to run their games. Acknowledging that I don't run EA, so my opinion of what they should or shouldn't do doesn't matter, isn't defending them.

You are defending them, in the sense that you are being very negative about it believing everyone here is delusional and believes their opinions would matter for EA.

No one on this board is that stupid, save the idiots who actually believed this game wouldn't tank hard.

People just want to express themselves. There's nothing wrong with that. You don't come on GFAQs to be productive buddy.
#34MoganPosted 11/14/2012 5:09:44 PM(edited)
You are defending them, in the sense that you are being very negative about it believing everyone here is delusional and believes their opinions would matter for EA.

I'm told someone who's opinion of SWTOR's free to play option doesn't matter that his opinion of SWTOR's free to play option doesn't matter. I didn't say I liked limited character slots.

People just want to express themselves. There's nothing wrong with that. You don't come on GFAQs to be productive buddy.

Everyone is expressing themselves, no one is being productive, and the TC literally asked for thoughts on what he posted.
---
"I can't buy a pack of smokes without running into 9 guys you've ****ed!"
#35XyonicS1Posted 11/15/2012 6:32:26 AM
So they are changing the way characters are tied to their own server so you can't create 2 characters per server?

I know as a paid sub I can make 12 characters on every server if I like and have hundreds. Or are they making characters account limited rather than server limited?

Just curious as it just seems if you can make 2 characters per server why the hell then would you need to stuff around with multi accounts just to get more characters?
---
XBox Live GT: XyonicS
PSN: XyonicS
#36mmx2Posted 11/15/2012 7:05:36 AM
Setting the Character slot limit to only 2 is stupid, it pretty much kills incentive to level alts. I don't expect unlimited slots but come on ~_~
---
http://www.backloggery.com/mmx2