I'll give TOR one thing.

#1IchabodCraniumPosted 11/19/2012 10:45:47 AM
Good low end optimization. It looks good and runs well on low settings, compared to other current PC games on low settings. (Well, except for the load times.)

I have a five year old laptop I sometimes use for gaming away from home and TOR performs much more pleasantly than other modern games.
---
MMOs: Games that take the world's most socially inept people and expect them to cooperate.
#2DarkLagunaPosted 11/19/2012 10:48:53 AM
It really doesn't scale very well though; The jump from Low to Medium, or even Very Low to Low, increases the usage quite a bit, and doesn't look that much better. But yeah, they did make the low-end optimization pretty good.
---
I feel a draft on my butt...
#3machetemanPosted 11/19/2012 12:02:53 PM
It really doesn't scale very well though; The jump from Low to Medium, or even Very Low to Low, increases the usage quite a bit, and doesn't look that much better. But yeah, they did make the low-end optimization pretty good.

Yeah, the game requires an i5/i7 to run above 30 fps, no matter the graphics card. I'm sittin in the middle of Kaas City with only NPC characters around me with everything on high (AA off), with a 560ti and I'm not getting above 25 fps. Phenom 2 955 here.
#4DarkLagunaPosted 11/19/2012 12:13:37 PM
Yeah, I have an i5 thankfully, but my roommate has an older computer, and even with a decent graphics card, he has to play on Very Low or he'll stutter in the Imperial Fleet and random CTD's.
---
I feel a draft on my butt...
#5TatooineOutcastPosted 11/19/2012 2:48:23 PM
I can play fine, but getting to the point where I can play is rough sometimes. Certain planets take 3-5 minutes just to load. Shame as I LOVED the game.
---
Mos Eisley Spaceport - you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.
#6pyber80Posted 11/19/2012 3:01:11 PM
macheteman posted...
Yeah, the game requires an i5/i7 to run above 30 fps, no matter the graphics card. I'm sittin in the middle of Kaas City with only NPC characters around me with everything on high (AA off), with a 560ti and I'm not getting above 25 fps. Phenom 2 955 here.

Its by no means a requirement, at least not that I've noticed on my system. I've got an older i3 530 coupled with an HD5750 and I easily surpass 30fps most of the time, though obviously not on max settings (I typically run with character details cranked, but everything else is around halfway up the scale). The only time I get noticeable drops below that are in busy areas such as the Fleets, and at the moment, some areas of the starting and capital planets. But running around the Black Hole last night with 50-70 people I was still getting an average of around 40-45fps according to the in-game fps monitor, with only the rare stutter here and there thanks to the odd cluster-f*** of effects going off in close proximity and within my view. Same went for Ilum and Belsavis. Maybe I'm just luckier than most for some reason, who knows. *shrug*

On the other hand, thanks to the broken version of the Hero Engine, there have been constant issues for people with decidedly higher end systems than mine when it comes to overall performance. Since back in beta there have been people with higher-end systems seeing their performance suffer even when compared to lower- and mid-range systems.
---
http://i.imgur.com/88bcI.jpg http://i.imgur.com/lH2Zc.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/2FjLt.gif http://i.imgur.com/JF1HR.gif
#7djprofessork1Posted 11/19/2012 3:08:18 PM
You are totally wrong, this is one of the worst optimized games I've ever seen. probably the worst. I've seen people on high end PC's that can't get more than 30 fps, yet the game looks like total crap too.

Sure it might run fine on low settings because it looks like complete crud, like a game from 2004. Increase that to 2007 and you only need a high end computer from 2011+ to run it! lol
---
If you believe in Goku, and are 100% proud of it, put this in your signature.
#8DestructersPosted 11/19/2012 3:36:57 PM
The game is poorly optimize and there are a lot of awkward thing like enable AA actually give me more FPS. My PC is 5 years as well.

Here is some advice for you, use google to search for how to increase your FPS, you will thanks me later for boost FPS and smooth gameplay.
#9machetemanPosted 11/19/2012 3:42:53 PM(edited)
Shadows High -> Shadows Low gives me like 20 fps boost, but makes the game look completely ugly. Low shadows = no shadows other than dark circles beneath your character. So yeah, I can get 50 fps pretty easily with a AMD 955/560ti, but the game literally looks like its from 2006 with shadows on low. Not sure why shadows are so tied to CPU.

No excuse for this game to have to look like that, just to get a decent FPS. I don't know how many people I've heard say, "Just turn shadows off and the game runs fine" or "I play the game with 60 fps with everything on high and shadows off! your rig sucks". Why should I have to turn shadows off to get this game to play at a decent FPS? This game certainly isn't a graphical masterpiece, so why should I make an average game even uglier to get playable framerate?
#10TheRaven1406Posted 11/19/2012 3:37:54 PM
I think the performance of TOR is lacking....Ex. I get more stutter than in Rift, which has much better graphics. Also the number of people on the screen that it takes to get bad FPS is lower in TOR.

But the WORST are the loading times.... why does it take three times longer to load a single planet than to load a whole big continent in Rift (WOW is even faster) ? I think this game has the longest zone loading times of any PC game I played.

Also the game has a memory leak...crash to desktop when I play for more than 3 hours at a time, or switch zones / log on and off often.

Performance is my biggest complaint about TOR, because so far (been playing for only 1 month) I really like the gameplay and the stories :-)