A returning players take on F2P

#1skrillas1337Posted 11/19/2012 2:33:40 PM
I bought the game when it first came out. I remember points in the game where it was extremely hard to close the gap to lvl up. now that they made exp gain slower, removed the space missions (which is a GREAT way to gain exp), sprint, mounts, and no rested exp, it will take considerably longer to get to lvl 50 where they are once again hit with a wall of restrictions.

Why didn't they just follow WoW's free to play model of getting to lvl 20 with zero restrictions so they can experience the FULL game then let the player make the decision from there weather to sub or not. I remember when i first started playing, the story immersion was the best out there, and i bet a considerable amount of people would resub just to experience and finish the rest of the stories.

As i logged in to my lvl 50, i had to slash 30% of my active skills, gimping my viability of playing on a competitive lvl. The exp gain nerf makes lvling my alts a no-go because its just not efficient at all. the dcuo F2P model is probably the best out there right now imo, and EA needs to take a look at it for sure. Yes TOR is free to play, but its definitely punishing those players who still havent decided to sub and will probably turn them away if they are on the fence about it.

tl;dr returned after almost a year, restrictions decimate fun aspect of gameplay for both leveling and end game, thinks the F2P model needs to follow WoW, or DCUO's F2P model, thanks for reading.
#2TatooineOutcastPosted 11/19/2012 2:36:29 PM
It looks better for them to say "You can experience the entire story 1-50" than "You can play your story to 20". Sad to hear they hit xp gains so hard, though I heard that was just for F2P players and not subs.
---
Mos Eisley Spaceport - you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.
#3skrillas1337(Topic Creator)Posted 11/19/2012 2:42:15 PM
TatooineOutcast posted...
It looks better for them to say "You can experience the entire story 1-50" than "You can play your story to 20". Sad to hear they hit xp gains so hard, though I heard that was just for F2P players and not subs.

They could have worded it "Begin your epic journey for the light or dark side and decide the fate of your destiny by going beyond the boundaries" or something like that. it is a RP game after all. but I'm guessing that it's gonna take 50% longer or more to get to lvl 50 and people will be SO burned out, they just aren't gonna be willing to continue.
#4The RobPosted 11/19/2012 2:56:06 PM
As F2P, you gain the same rate of XP that I did as a sub last week. Sub's receive an accelerated rate, F2P gets the normal rate. That's what I've been told anyway.
---
whatnow12012 posted...
I am not the same person as Whatnow or whatever his or hers name.
#5skrillas1337(Topic Creator)Posted 11/19/2012 3:01:06 PM
The Rob posted...
As F2P, you gain the same rate of XP that I did as a sub last week. Sub's receive an accelerated rate, F2P gets the normal rate. That's what I've been told anyway.

why dont they advertise this then? http://www.swtor.com/free/features says subs gain faster exp than non-subs, while non-subs get slower exp. so it sounds as if subs just get the normal rate. not taking into account rested bonuses.
#6PulpPosted 11/19/2012 3:07:39 PM(edited)
skrillas1337 posted...
why dont they advertise this then? http://www.swtor.com/free/features says subs gain faster exp than non-subs, while non-subs get slower exp. so it sounds as if subs just get the normal rate. not taking into account rested bonuses.

Personally, I think it's far more likely XP is simply reduced for non-subs. When I was reading the PTS when this neat little perk was discovered, it was in comparison to the XP rate on the live servers (remember, on the PTS at the time, everyone was flagged F2P). Based on that, it's clear the XP gain rate was REDUCED.

So I bet some bioware fanboi started spinning it so that F2P is the new "normal" and subs are 20% (or is it 30%) "improved". Who knows though.
---
Contest Abuse - You have lost the right to dispute or appeal further moderations.
#7PikaleyPosted 11/19/2012 3:10:31 PM
If it is indeed lowered exp then what happens like on starter planets that are designed to have. Do certain story quests at a certain level and leave at around lv 10ish? Wouldn't you be forced to grind mobs since there would be no more quests and you would be too weak to do story?
---
3ds fc - 4983-5114-5815, Name: Brad
#8zazz9Posted 11/19/2012 3:14:09 PM
It is lower xp than before. I made a new account to level a new character... I am level 20 so far.

I was level 14.8 (like almost 15) after finishing Dromund Kass... and level 17.2 (like just barely past level 17) after finishing Balmorra.... both without doing any heroics (group 2+).

But then I just finished the bonus series of Balmorra (and a few of those heroics) and I'm at 19 and a half. So whats the big deal.

It just means you can actually do the bonus series now without completely over-leveling the next area. I actually don't mind this at all.
---
http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-ffxiv/12003_322bd612e8d4f596.png
#9skrillas1337(Topic Creator)Posted 11/19/2012 3:15:31 PM
Pikaley posted...
If it is indeed lowered exp then what happens like on starter planets that are designed to have. Do certain story quests at a certain level and leave at around lv 10ish? Wouldn't you be forced to grind mobs since there would be no more quests and you would be too weak to do story?

im sure starter zones are an exception because of the infinite medbots they receive. i personally haven't tried it so i couldn't say.
#10PulpPosted 11/19/2012 3:15:44 PM
Pikaley posted...

I was under the impression that the xp reduction occurs post-starter area. I may be mistaken. People claim they now need to do the Bonus series before moving on...but again, I don't know for sure, I am not currently F2P.
---
Contest Abuse - You have lost the right to dispute or appeal further moderations.