A returning players take on F2P

#11skrillas1337(Topic Creator)Posted 11/19/2012 3:17:03 PM
zazz9 posted...
It is lower xp than before. I made a new account to level a new character... I am level 20 so far.

I was level 14.8 (like almost 15) after finishing Dromund Kass... and level 17.2 (like just barely past level 17) after finishing Balmorra.... both without doing any heroics (group 2+).

But then I just finished the bonus series of Balmorra (and a few of those heroics) and I'm at 19 and a half. So whats the big deal.

It just means you can actually do the bonus series now without completely over-leveling the next area. I actually don't mind this at all.

hmm interesting, i do remember vaguely, skipping planets while lvling to 50.
#12zazz9Posted 11/19/2012 3:17:09 PM
Pikaley posted...
If it is indeed lowered exp then what happens like on starter planets that are designed to have. Do certain story quests at a certain level and leave at around lv 10ish? Wouldn't you be forced to grind mobs since there would be no more quests and you would be too weak to do story?

Reduced XP starts at level 10. You won't start getting hit with reduced xp until level 10. You might leave DK/Coruscant a little underleveled...... but you can still do Balmora/Taris and then do the Balmora/Taris bonus series and you'll be fine.

Will see how it gets on later levels though.... but as long as there are bonus series... should be fine I would think. Will see.
---
http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-ffxiv/12003_322bd612e8d4f596.png
#13EvilAshTwinPosted 11/20/2012 1:39:48 AM
skrillas1337 posted...

Why didn't they just follow WoW's free to play model of getting to lvl 20 with zero restrictions so they can experience the FULL game then let the player make the decision from there weather to sub or not. I remember when i first started playing, the story immersion was the best out there, and i bet a considerable amount of people would resub just to experience and finish the rest of the stories.

I just want to point out that EA did try something similar to this and it didnt work.
#14BhelliumPosted 11/20/2012 1:43:43 AM
I'm a bit confused why they didn't go with a demo based on story arcs. The intro arcs are perfect for that kind of thing, good bit of content that intros the core but leaves you wanting more (like the advanced classes right after).

Seems like the Arcs would have been a good means of selling the game as episodic content as well. Pay $5 for each story arc or whatever.
---
P&L: Deal w/it
Cookie if you get the reference
#15user420Posted 11/20/2012 2:20:21 AM
After trying f2p out for a night and actually looking at the prices of stuff and what you can buy, it's really not a bad deal at all..

Instead of paying $13-$15 a month you can drop like $20 one time and get most of the important sub items anyways. Different races are like $5 a pop, which kinda sucks but how many races are you actually going to want to play? I'm perfectly happy with being a human for now.

The only notable thing you can't get on a f2p account is extra character slots, so you really are limited to 2, at least for now. I can't see them not adding that as a buyable option eventually though.

But really, say you wild out and drop $40 bucks on it, get full inv upgrades, full action bars, unlock all the armors/customizations, w/e you can get with that much. You can even spend a little extra and unlock it across the whole account too if you're seriously planning on playing more than 1 character, but even if you spend that much, it pays for itself in less than 3 months worth of subscription fees.

I doubt most people would even spend that much unless they really get hooked, and if they do they'll probably wind up playing for longer than 3 months anyways. Even if they don't they can come back and play again whenever they want and not have to worry about a sub fee because its paid for.
---
Go to work, send your kids to school, follow fashion, act normal, walk on the pavement, watch TV, save for old age, obey the law, repeat after me: I am free.
#16GateCaptainPosted 11/20/2012 3:40:52 AM
skrillas1337 posted...
The Rob posted...
As F2P, you gain the same rate of XP that I did as a sub last week. Sub's receive an accelerated rate, F2P gets the normal rate. That's what I've been told anyway.

why dont they advertise this then? http://www.swtor.com/free/features says subs gain faster exp than non-subs, while non-subs get slower exp. so it sounds as if subs just get the normal rate. not taking into account rested bonuses.

Yeah i know F2P gets slower EXP then SUBS because when i played a trooper i got alot more levels then i have this go around. After seeing all the Stuff F2P DONT get i feel like crying cause i know this will hurt the game. and i wanted to keep playing it. :( sad panda.
#17ATARIJAWAPosted 11/20/2012 3:48:35 AM
I don't really see what the problem is. There's so many ways to get xp in the game you couldn't help but hit 50 4 planets early.
---
Gamefaqs game rating system : 9-10 = Best Game Ever. 8-9. Crushing dissapointment. 8 and below : Garbage. This is getting ridiculous. people agreeing so far 86
#18SoulTrapperPosted 11/20/2012 3:54:26 AM
Bhellium posted...
I'm a bit confused why they didn't go with a demo based on story arcs. The intro arcs are perfect for that kind of thing, good bit of content that intros the core but leaves you wanting more (like the advanced classes right after).

Seems like the Arcs would have been a good means of selling the game as episodic content as well. Pay $5 for each story arc or whatever.

They sort of did, it was the free trial to level 15.
But it didn't help improve sub numbers at all.
---
PSN: El_Coon
#19PulpPosted 11/20/2012 4:08:42 AM
user420 posted...
After trying f2p out for a night and actually looking at the prices of stuff and what you can buy, it's really not a bad deal at all..

Instead of paying $13-$15 a month you can drop like $20 one time and get most of the important sub items anyways. Different races are like $5 a pop, which kinda sucks but how many races are you actually going to want to play? I'm perfectly happy with being a human for now.

The only notable thing you can't get on a f2p account is extra character slots, so you really are limited to 2, at least for now. I can't see them not adding that as a buyable option eventually though.

But really, say you wild out and drop $40 bucks on it, get full inv upgrades, full action bars, unlock all the armors/customizations, w/e you can get with that much. You can even spend a little extra and unlock it across the whole account too if you're seriously planning on playing more than 1 character, but even if you spend that much, it pays for itself in less than 3 months worth of subscription fees.

I doubt most people would even spend that much unless they really get hooked, and if they do they'll probably wind up playing for longer than 3 months anyways. Even if they don't they can come back and play again whenever they want and not have to worry about a sub fee because its paid for.

Everything you said is wrong. If...if you choose temp unlocks of what you want (say PvP - $7+ bucks a month), you still need:
- UI Unlocks
- Artifact gear Auth
- Storage Unlock

So hey, averaged out over three months, you are paying nearly as much as a sub, if not more....

And then of course, you have respec costs you probably can't even pay for with the currency cap. You earn less valor and comms. Not to mention your comms are capped. It of course costs you more to strip mods.

So you basically paid for 3 months of sub, but got a gimped version of the same game. Remember, for the above, that's PvP only, and putting aside other potentially needed store costs.

I'm a little embarrassed I need to point this out to you...but hey, maybe EA will catch a lot of suckers. The reality is SWTORs F2P system is "subscribe or **** off.
---
Contest Abuse - You have lost the right to dispute or appeal further moderations.
#20EvilAshTwinPosted 11/20/2012 4:17:59 AM
Pulp posted...

I'm a little embarrassed I need to point this out to you...but hey, maybe EA will catch a lot of suckers. The reality is SWTORs F2P system is "subscribe or **** off.

That is the reason why I predict in 18-24 months from now, this game will be officially declared dead.