EA released their financial

#1Cubbiesboy22Posted 1/31/2013 4:42:24 AM
Extra content and free-to-play contributed $185 million, up 50% led by FIFA and Madden Ultimate Team and Star Wars: The Old Republic. These revenues relate to businesses on PC or consoles, where consumers pay for additional digital content -- including virtual characters, map packs and micro-transactions associated with browser based games or MMO’s – like Star Wars. As a reminder, on November 15th we launched our free-to-play option for Star Wars: The Old Republic. Very early indications have been positive and we are pleased with the initial results but it is too early to know how successful this will be in the long term.

Subscriptions, advertising, and other digital revenue contributed $79 million, growing 18% over the same period last year. The current year includes a full quarter of Star Wars subscriptions, but it was offset by a decline in other licensing digital revenue. As a reminder, the non-GAAP revenue continues to exclude our Battlefield 3 Premium subscription service. For the third quarter, Battlefield 3 Premium generated $28 million in sales, bringing the total premium revenue for the first three quarters to approximately $108 million. We will recognize these sales as revenue in the fourth quarter when we release the fifth expansion pack, entitled End Game, and as another reminder, all of the development and delivery costs have been recognized in the previous quarters.

The summary is that f2p as of now is going well and subscriptions have picked up for SWTOR but has been offset by other games.
#2Cubbiesboy22(Topic Creator)Posted 1/31/2013 4:43:19 AM
Topic title fail. I meant to say EA released their q3 results=\
#3Oh_Boy_Posted 1/31/2013 6:00:22 AM
Translation = SWTOR still their most expensive, yet least successful game.
#4Cubbiesboy22(Topic Creator)Posted 1/31/2013 6:19:01 AM
Oh_Boy_ posted...
Translation = SWTOR still their most expensive, yet least successful game.

Keep on trolling bro.
#5PulpPosted 1/31/2013 6:31:30 AM
Lol...no where in there investor call do they say "subs for SWTOR are up", nor do they state "f2p is going well!".

You can pull whatever ideas you want from the vague numbers offered, if it makes you feel better.
---
Contest Abuse - You have lost the right to dispute or appeal further moderations.
#6rawkussPosted 1/31/2013 6:47:49 AM(edited)
I'm sure F2P has helped TOR increase in a little bit. However, anyone with half a brain should see that it hasn't helped TOR enough.

Prior to F2P, TOR was in a horrible state. Probably at the point where it's population was stabilizing at below 500k players. F2P should have helped, as they pointed out with the 18% increase (however, not all of that 18% can be attributed to TOR). The real point is to see that while TOR has increased in subscribers, it's not by much.

What my view on all of this is that TOR will never be a real competitor in the MMO market but has potentially stabilized enough that EA won't have to shut it down. At the end of the day, even though F2P has increased subscribers by 30-50k... TOR is still more or less the exact same game that lost close to 2 million players in less than a year.
#7K4P_LinkPosted 1/31/2013 6:49:52 AM
Sounds like it's doing good to me. Good news!
#8mikejolikPosted 1/31/2013 7:19:49 AM
I think we'd be foolish to think that its not doing better financially.

F2P transitions are all about money, or else nobody would deal with the stigma of having to go that route.

Are they going to make more money then they were before the transition? Absolutely.
Are they going to make as much money as they would have if the game was good? No.
#9BizzyBumPosted 1/31/2013 7:22:35 AM
I'm sure it's doing better, I mean.. think of the people who bought that new pod racer mount for $18. That one transaction is more then if that person just had a $15 sub pre-F2P. I've also heard people spend hundred of dollars alone for packs and other random crap.
---
I'm bored at work...
#10Cubbiesboy22(Topic Creator)Posted 1/31/2013 8:21:55 AM
Pulp posted...
Lol...no where in there investor call do they say "subs for SWTOR are up", nor do they state "f2p is going well!".

You can pull whatever ideas you want from the vague numbers offered, if it makes you feel better.

How does EA saying they are pleased with the result equal = f2p not going well?